Do You Like Broccoli And All The Different Veggies? Tell Us Your Favorites?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Remembering my veggie likes and dislikes and broccoli was never one of my favorites. Since moving to Oakmont I have fallen in love with broccoli. It's served in many of the lunches and dinners. Brussel Sprouts is another one I did not like, but not now. The reason for my change of heart is due to seasonings. The chef and cooks here at Oakmont season and prepare veggies in ways I have never had before. Asparagus must be in season because it is served often, so tender and flavorable. Living here has been like living at a five star Sheraton and the cost is probably comprable or more. I have no complaints.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don’t remember eating any green veggies growing up until I went into the army. Didn’t eat broccoli until after
    I married. Today it is one of my favorites. Another is fried okra. Breaded fried okra. I like most vegetables but we are forgetting how to cook and going blind so we don’t eat much variety any more.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Broccoli, brussel sprouts, italian green beans, asparagus, cauliflower, sweet potato are good. Okra not so good in my book.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We love most veggies and take advantage of whatever's in season. I don't care much for canned vegetables but I use a lot of fresh and frozen varieties. I use canned beans and tomatoes in recipes fairly often, though.

5. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

i d0 like all vegetables but no stems on my broccoli---i dont like okra not unless it is in soup---i dont like kale

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't like most veggies but eat them when I can ..only because I should.
    Ican tolerate most of them raw but teeth issues so that gets hard.
    Most veggies we get are in soups or salads.
    I do like pickles ;).

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The only vegetable that I can think of that I don't like is eggplant. I've never found a way to cook it that is good. I like asparagus brushed with olive oil, lightly sprinkled with garlic salt and black pepper then roasted. My son recently bought me a jar of pickled asparagus at a farmer's market. It had dill and a lot of garlic .It was awful. I only like a little garlic and I don't like dill at all.

8. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Corn is my favorite and brussel sprouts my least favorite. Everything in between I eat because Moms always say to eat your vegetables, they are good for you. I grew up on meat, potatoes and vegetables.

9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I bet you would love my Egg Plant Lasagna

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

My favorite vegetable would be the potato. We at a younger age, my sister and I would wash off pieces that our mother had peeled and cut for whatever recipe and eat them - raw. I like the frozen stir fry vegetables. The one vegetable I don't like is cooked spinach.

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like most veggies. I'll eat all parts of the broccoli plant...I'll peel the stalks and cook them. I also like asparagus, but only if it's fresh...I'll never eat canned or frozen. Most of my green veggies have to me either steamed or roasted or stir-fried.

I can't think of a veggie I don't like. Okra is OK, but so is anything that's fried. But I've never liked it enough to cook at home. Beets are a weird one. I've never bought them (canned or fresh), but I'll eat them if they're on a buffet.

12. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Artichokes, asparagus, brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, beets, cabbage, onions, garlic, lettuce, potatoes, and more.

Since I'm vegan, and a gourmet vegan chef, veggies are a constant in my life and on my plate. Steamed, sauteed, boiled, raw, whatever.......

I love okra, but it's technically a fruit, as is squash. Ditto for pumpkin.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Funny you should mention raw. I used to keep cut-up raw veggies in the fridge to munch on...mostly broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, mushrooms (yeh, I know), and turnips. I had a dip recipe that was cottage cheese-based with pistachios in it. Good stuff.

My favorite raw veggie hands-down is turnip. I really don't eat them any other way, except as the occasional stew ingredient. Now I'll have to go look for turnip recipes. Roasting is probably a good method...

14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I like broccoli and potatoes, and most common vegetables, if someone else cooks them.

It's easier to list the ones I don't like (taken from a list of the most popular vegetables):

Raw cucumbers, raw celery, radishes, squash, turnips, collards, eggplant, okra (unless it's fried dry).

15. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

The only vegetable I don't like is Okra .. tried it quite a few times and multiple ways but just can't get over the hump with that. I love all others.

Not a fan of boiling .. kind of like steaming .. enjoy raw if possible but I can't get enough when they are done on the grill and the next best way is on a sheet pan in the oven.