Do You Know What's Going On In Your Neighbourhood?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Holly Saunders, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"One of the old dudes in the neighborhood has been caught peeking in windows more than once, so being "isolated by choice" is not a shyness thing... it's the better choice when weirdos

\Ahhhh, Holly.......The post does justice to this old guy's existence! A real rounder, Charlatan, Miscreant, Purveyor of Perversion, .........Something I might have been caught doing myself! Why would you NOT consider coming to the States? You mentioned the idea. I mention, how nice it is to be back in touch with such a nice lady............

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I know my immediate neighbours to talk to on a casual basis, the next door neighbours a Japanese couple are friendly but speak very little English, we keep an eye on their house when they are away, and park a car on their drive to make it look lived in.
    Apart from that there is very little community spirit about the place.

I think you have mixed up the members @Frank Sanoica it was @Mari North who posted your quote not @Holly Saunders

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Terry Page likes this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Last Sunday some women neighbors invited me for a religious activity. After that, we had a casual talk while having afternoon snack. Someone mentioned that there is a formal complaint against the president of the village homeowners. That he had squandered money by unproductive projects. The amount is almost a million pesos (more than $20,000) and the complainants want to strip the president of the position. What can I say? I just shook my head because we had elected that president just last December.

As with the robberies and break-ins, it somehow stopped but maybe temporarily so we are still warned to be alert especially at night.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you mean they're accusing him of misappropriating funds in just 2 months @Corie Henson ..or over 14 months (December before last)...? $20,000 is a HUGE amount over just 2 months..

We had a similar problem at our private Gated community in Spain...our elected El presidente was doing exactly the same thing but it took 5 years to discover precisely what he was doing..and he was denounced to the police and the town hall, but in Spain the process to bring someone to court is long and arduous and he had some supporters who he had ''on the payroll', so they weren't prepared to when it came to re-election to go against him, and vote in a new President. The vast majority of the community are Holiday home owners so were never in Spain when it came to the AGM and voting time, so they voted by proxy and El presidente manipulated those votes and was repeatedly voted in again and again much to the anger of the residents who knew he was stealing from the community fund and using it for his own purposes but couldn't prove it....

Long story short but eventually, after 8 years we did get him denounced and arrested..and it was estimated he'd potentially used over 80,000 euros of community funds for his own use...even paying his own mortgage with our money..

Ruby Begonia and Corie Henson like this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders our village president is incumbent, he is in the position for 4 years already so this 2016 is his 5th year. My opinion on the issue is for the complainants to substantiate their complaints. It already happened some years ago when someone had complained of the same issue but then some months after that guy had challenged the village president in an election. So it's just politics. Now this complaint looks like another political move since their candidate lost in the elections last December.

Ruby Begonia and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

That was my post, Frank... (thanks for tagging me, @Terry Page , or I wouldn't have seen it.) And I don't need to come to the states because I'm already here and never left.

And yes, @Holly Saunders is indeed very nice.. and if she ever comes to visit me, maybe I'll take her to peek in the perv's windows with me. :D

8. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

you said ".Something I might have been caught doing myself!"... hmmmmm, really.

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Ummmm, how to tell in this soundless, exxpressionless, void-like way of communicating, whether one is joking or not?

10. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think anyone here knows you well enough to NOT be joking, @Frank Sanoica . Give us a chance, we're very nice people. Yes, @Ruby Begonia was joking... and if you communicate with people online for 20 years as I have, you'll soon not think it "expressionless" or "Void-like" at all... online friends are often closer than "the other type."

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

You got to be able to draw a line of giving people privacy and being neighborly though. I'm sure I know what is going on in my neck of the woods most of the time, but I'll admit sometimes I get very focused on my little world too. I miss some people who do regular things like our neighbor who is now in a wheel chair who lives with her friend and they both are over 50 and have families. Our little neighborhood is half industrial and then there is our little apt. complex. There is a Wholesale Mart that is just half a block away and we are surrounded by warehouses with businesses in them.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

I am easily taken the wrong way, I am afraid, due to my insistent way of seeing everything black and white, on or off, I never have learned to be "pliant", but do not really know how to express it exactly. Makes little sense, my jabbering, in a straightforward sense.

I will try to improve. Promise!

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Involved, not so much, but I know my neighbor next door to me as well as the neighbor across the street. The house on the other side of me has changed owners several times since I've been here, and has been vacant most of the time, but I do generally learn the names of the people who live there, although no one stays long. I talk to my neighbor on the other side of me over the fence often, and he frequently clears my sidewalk and a path to my oil tank for me with his snowblower before I even get out of bed after we've had a storm, and sometimes he does the whole driveway and parking area. Most often though, my neighbor across the street plows my driveway for me. On our part, while my next-door neighbor is away at camp during the summer, I'll mow his lawn for him, and there are times when he's away and I can clear his driveway. Not often though, because he gets up before I do. On the other hand, I don't think he's ever been over to my house, and most of the times that I have been to his house has been to feed his cat while his wife was in the hospital. My neighbor across the street is over here often, as he's an auctioneer, and my wife sells stuff for him on eBay. We are also members of a local organization, so I am a lot closer to him. I can't name anyone else on my block, however, although I recognize most of them to say hi to when I come across them in the store or somewhere.

Ike Willis and Holly Saunders like this.
  14. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree Mari, ..........yes we are missing the physical contact which in the real world, we think gives us a lot of information about a person when we meet, but I feel this can often be misleading, and causes us to make snap judgements on people before we have even started a conversation in some cases.

I have met and got to know people on here who apart from distance, I would possibly never have approached in real life, because of the snap judgements we often make.

I also agree that online friends can be closer than real ones, because we somehow manage to share more in a shorter period of time, because of the partial anonymity perhaps?

Humour is a subject all of it's own as we often rely on visual signals in the real world, so personally I edit my humour online because this being an international forum, it can be misunderstood so easily, and a lot of of Brit humour does not translate well ;)

@Mari North