Do You Keep Your Doors Locked?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Kitty Carmel, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess perhaps people would not want to give out too much information but I thought I'd ask since I do keep mine locked and always have. Even if I take the garbage out, I lock my apartment door. When I lived where there was a laundry room, I locked my door to go to the laundry room. I never leave without locking my front door.

I keep my car doors locked too when in or out of the car. I have manual locks and windows. Not the automatic ones.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I do! I don't lock my car because it's always in the garage. It I make sure that I don't leave my extra keys in the car, they're in my purse which always goes inside with me.

I also lock the gate to my backyard.

I live in a safe area but you never know. I also always set my alarm at night although my dog would bark before the alarm would go off.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I wish I could say we always lock our door. I do but sometimes my Honey falls asleep on the couch before he locks the door. That's when I know it's true that we have guardian angels watching over us. :)

Martin Alonzo and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was a child our doors were never locked unless we were going on vacation. Sorry to say times change. In this country I am considered well off and a target for thieves. There is not a problem here with thieves but there is opportunist that means they will not plan on stealing something but if it is there unattended it might disappear. We lock our doors now to take away the opportunity not to stop a burglary. While we are home the doors are never locked.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We only lock our door when we go to bed at night, and even then, we only lock the front door. I am not even sure that either one of us knows where the house key is; so that should give you some idea of how long it has been since we locked up the house. Of course, even if we locked it by accident, we could always just go around and go in the back door; so it is no big deal that we don’t know where they key is.
    I do try to roll up the windows on the car, especially if it is supposed to rain, and most of the time, I remember to bring the car keys inside. Does that count ?

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

It's a good idea to lock your doors all the time no matter, and never forget your keys. It's just for safety and peace of mind
    to keep doors locked when ever you do things, even if you go out for just a few seconds. I live near the street so I do lock up even
    for my mail. Sometimes I do just step out to throw out my trash, but there is an unsettling feeling when I come back, so I ususally
    lock up when I do anything leaving, my apt. home. My neighbor in the warehouse next door to my little backyard has installed safety
    lights within the week so it's even safer. It can get very lonesome when the weekend comes so it's good that the neighbor has the safety lights
    on and I feel safer. Now that, my Mom has passed, just in July 31, it's very lonesome at home. Luckily I'll be getting married next year, so I won't
    be lonesome for long. I usually buy pants with pockets so I'll have my keys with me wherever I go too. :)

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Ours are generally unlocked while we're home and awake. We do lock them before going to bed or when we're leaving, though. My car is usually unlocked, and with the keys in it, while Michelle normally locks hers. There are a couple of kids who moved to town recently, who have been coming into unlocked houses and stealing stuff, I know, because they've been arrested for it. Even before that, we'd usually lock the doors, but only because my wife is a wuss.

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh My goodness... @Krissttina Isobe . first of all nice to see you posting again.....and greatest sympathies on the loss of your mother, I know from your posts here that you were very close. You must miss her very much

....and secondly Congratulations on your forthcoming marriage... what a very emotional time 2017 must have been for you..

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We lock our doors at night and when we leave.

11. Yvonne Smith

I am also saddened to hear that you lost your mother, @Krissttina Isobe , and I know that this must make it even lonelier for you now that you are living at home without your mom.
    Congratulations on the upcoming wedding, and I am glad that you have a special someone in your life and also that he is there to comfort you in your loss of your mother.
    It is good to see you posting on the forum again........ we miss your happy comments, so come back and visit as often as you can, and we will try and cheer you when you are lonely.
    Sending you special prayers and a big hug !

12. Ann George

Ann George Veteran Member
    Registered

Even though we have a dog and safety lights in our complex, we always lock all the doors simply as a matter of habit. A problem that I have, from time to time, is "misplaced" keys and so the hunt begins....:oops: I've learned (the hard way) to always have a spare set of extra keys for both the house and car, ie. until the hunt is over LOL.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Before we bought our new car last year we didn't bother most of the time to lock our old cars. They were both so old and basically falling apart that we didn't really feel there was anything to steal out of them and we didn't think thieves would want to be seen driving those old paint peeling cars either. :) But at one time in our neighborhood we heard that some people were having their cars broken into and the ones we heard about were always newer cars that people had left stuff in that evidently thieves did want. After that we didn't lock our cars because we didn't have anything for them to steal worth anything....including our old vehicles.

Our new car we do keep locked as it does have value and maybe a thing or two that thieves might want.

14. Yvonne Smith

I am pretty sure that things like key rings can go into “invisible mode”, and they simply vanish sometimes, and especially if we desperately need them right away.
    They will happily re-appear, in some perfectly normal place, two days later, and after the emergency has been handled.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

First, @Yvonne Smith, good looking horse, breast collar and chinks in your avatar picture. Wow, I know what a breast collar and chinks are.

We keep our both front and back (patio) door locked all the time. There was one time that we forgot to lock the front door when we left and two hours later came home and everything was fine. It was during the day on a Saturday when the leasing office was open. Our apartment is right across the parking lot from that office.

We lock both the deadbolt and the door knob lock when we go somewhere, as well as set the apartment alarm. The alarm is beside the front door and use to be connected to a Security Company, but the apt. complex stopped paying for this, but the alarm still works. It gives off a pitched tone when the door is opened and the alarm is on.

As far as our vehicles go, always roll up all windows and set the alarm in our Durango, but the old '97 Dodge RAM doesn't have one anymore. Unfortunately, the crime in this city is too high not to.

Now, when we was in Cheyenne, Wyoming, there were cars and trucks with the windows open and unlocked. But, Cheyenne is not Jacksonville, FL by no means.

Yvonne Smith likes this.