Do You Have Misperceptions About Some People?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Lon Tanner, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

No thanks, Lon. We love The Rockies, even in the winter. Actually, I just taught a young girl, online, how to deliver her loop to a dummy steer head and get the loop around the horns. No video, all written words. She was tickled and said "it worked!".

Wife and I did know a World Champion Bull Rider from Brazil and a World Champion Saddle Bronc Rider who was an "Aussie" (Australia). His name is Dave Appleton.

2. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

Lon - you darn well he's too busy talking to the maintenance lady at his apartment complex to take on anything else..... :):p

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Yes, my wife and I get along with her very good. She's excellent at what she does............apartment maintenance. And, we were both impressed when we found out she knows about rodeo.

4. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I guess you aren't familiar with Will Rogers, then, right?

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Know exactly who he is, but I'm definitely not him.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I knew Will Rogers Jr. way back when I worked in Tubac, Az. and got a lot of information about his dad. He wasn’t very talkative until he pounded down at least 3 double perfect Manhattans but after that he answered just about every question I had.
    It’s a shame though that he wasn’t more like his dad. California democrat through and through. Heck, even his wife wouldn’t let him into the house for a long time and he had to sleep on the porch.

Going back to the OP, my first impression of him [when I first met him] at the Rio Rico Hotel and Golf Club was the same as everyone else’s would have been because after all, he was Will Roger’s son.
    No so come to find out. He was Nothing like his dad. He was a lush and didn’t mind swinging at his wife and definitely abused the legal system.
    I understand that he later shot himself which kind of follows what my instincts were about him the last time I saw him.

7. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with you, there, Cody, but that wasn't my point. I guess we'll just have to let this horse ride on off into the setting sun.

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh Honestly, Cody, you have never seen anyone at a rodeo drinking wine? How about cold wine coolers on a hot day in the open stands? I have seen way more beer and hard lemonade served in plastic cups than bottles or cans at rodeos and fairs. Beer gardens are the big thing around here to stop open public drinking. In my days of Colorado rodeos and fairs, I saw more whiskey-drinking from a flask than beer.

I have no problem with drinking beer from the bottle but never liked it from the can. Frosted glass is nice on occasion to add a bit of head to the beer. Lots of wine seen here at all western farm and ranch events. We have many wineries with booths at the fair. Lots of local breweries have booths in the beer garden, but it is all on tap and served in plastic cups. Glass growlers are available but must not be open in public. Local beers have names like, "Let er Buck," "John Day Breaks," "Blue Mountain Range," "Mustang Roundup," "Horse Heavens," "14 Hands Horse," "Hereford Valley," "Wild Horse Sanctuary," or "Sagebrush Pete's." None are bottled or canned which hasn't been an issue for the local lovers of the western lifestyle. Lots of wine consumed also especially at the evening cowboy cookouts. The once common mixing of beer and beans and the farting contest are becoming history around here especially with the senior ranch folks. Not a risk we are willing to take if you get my drift, Cowboy. Wine or water seems to be the selection of most old ranch seniors. I like drinking high mountain spring water straight from the source, but travel to that source isn't always available so I may be seen at western events, rodeos or fairs, or chuckwagon cookouts drinking water from a plastic bottle.

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’m not sure but I think what Cody is referring to is in line with higher dollar wine with a cork in it as opposed to that contained in a box or a screw top bottle.
    Then again, he did say NO wine which opens another door for opposition.

Faye Fox likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, Faye, look at this now: Perhaps, and note the word "perhaps", I've been to more rodeos than you have. That is as a contestant and, later, after my roping days were over, as a fan. Again, "perhaps" rodeos in Oregon can be somewhat different than some other rodeos. How a rodeo is operated, except for the rules of competing, is left up to a Rodeo Committee.

I've been to rodeos where only soda, beer and water were sold. I've been to rodeos were it was just a Beer Stand, not a Gardens. And, most of the people drinking beer, around the Stand, were the "nightclub" ones. They were basically only interested in the Bull Riding. The Stands were completely full until Bull Riding started. 90% of the time, by the time Bull Riding started, my "heeler" and I had our horses loaded up and were headed for home.

Actually, one rodeo that I use to be in was the Orange County Fair PRCA Rodeo in Costa Mesa, Calif.. There was no concession stand/stands around the arena at all. A person had to leave the stands and go into the fair grounds part to get something to eat/drink and bring it back to the stands.

I'm sure there were rodeos that served Wine Coolers, but since I would never have dated a gal that drank wine, or wrapped a napkin around a beer bottle, I wouldn't have noticed. Heck, my wife can handle holding a cold beer bottle, but many of those nightclub "Buckle Bunny's" couldn't and wouldn't.

When we lived in Florida, we went to a PRCA rodeo in Lake City, Florida and it was probably one of the worst ones I'd ever been to. It really appeared that most of the contestants were Permit Holders and couldn't ride rough stock, bulldog or roper for crap. I seriously doubt I'd been to any rodeo that I seen some many Barrel Racers knock down barrels!

Now remember, Faye, my actual "rodeo days" ended in the late 90's. Horse/tack sold, but still kept a couple of my Classic Rope Company ropes. After that, I started helping some Stock Contractors in the arena and Timed-Event area for a couple of years. Most PRCA judges, in the southern part of the California Circuit already knew me from my "competing" days.

After wife and I married, and moved to Colorado in 2002, just south of Denver, we bought a membership into the Pro-Rodeo Hall of Fame in the Springs. Back then, the Hall would honor the previous year (Dec) World Champions and we be there to meet them and the Hall would service a delicious evening buffet. We'd also attend the Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony each August at the Hall (outside). We met many Hall of Famers and Inductees then.

Sorry to make this SO long, but, from being a member/contestant in pro-rodeo, to working for Stock Contractors, to, now, attending rodeos as a major fan............I do know about rodeo. I also know about Little Britches, Junior, High School and Intercollegiate Rodeo as well.

Faye Fox and Ken Anderson like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've been to quite a few rodeos but never paid a bit of attention to what other people were drinking.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ken, were these PRCA sanctioned rodeos or the "open" type, where anyone can compete?

The thing about me, and I know I done a thread about this, I'm very, very observant. Heck, just ask my wife. LOL

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I went to a few rodeos while I was in California but I don't know what they were. The ones that I went to every year while in Texas were PRCA rodeos.
    Not only did I attend them, but the Los Fresnos Rodeo was started by the Los Fresnos Lions Club, which I was a member of, so I was on the grounds most of the time that it was going on, and later while covering it with the ambulance. We had a contract for the RGV Livestock Show, locally known as the Mercedes Rodeo, so we were there for the three days that it went on, staffing the first-aid trailer or providing EMS services. We staffed the first-aid trailer 24-hours a day and had an ambulance on the premises. While the rodeo was going on, we'd have two or three ambulances in the fairgrounds. Although we pretty much always transported at least one contestant from the bull riding, most of our transports were from fights or medical problems with people attending the livestock show, not contestants or participants. The Mercedes rodeo grounds also hosted some non-PRCA rodeos, but they weren't as well attended and didn't require us to be on the premises, although we usually kept an ambulance there since we had a contract with the city of Mercedes, where it was held.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Glad to see you posting Cody. I have no idea how many rodeos I have been to in my 70 years. For 30 years I made at least 6 a year. My other 40 years at least three. Maybe 300, but I never bothered to count them. This includes Colorado, Texas, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, New Mexico, and Calgary Alberta Canada. The only events I participated in as an adult were shooting, bull hide races, and rope tricks. As a kid, I did 4H rodeo standing calf roping and holding (no tying). Some small steer dogging and even steer riding. I am far from being a rodeo expert on modern rodeo. Old-time rodeo knowledge is documented family history for me.

Since the title of the thread is about misperception, perhaps we perceive each other as being a certain way when we may not really be. My perceptions of you concerning western living are not based on how many rodeos you have attended or performed in, but what you write here on the forum. I see you as an aficionado of the modern ranch style of living and you dress how you perceive ranch people do because you enjoy it and it makes you happy. I admire that, however, your perceptions may be contrary to my experiences growing up and living on a cattle ranch and still living close to that environment 70 years of the western ranch and ranch style living, is what I know. You are the first to ever tell me that my way of dressing and failure to attend cattle auctions indicates I have departed my western ranch ways. All we know of each other is what we reveal here in the written word and photos.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

For Ken.........

You will know if you are at a PRCA sanctioned rodeo: There are banners along the inside of the arena that state "Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association" with their logo (Saddle Bronc Rider) and, at most rodeos, a flag-carrier will bring into the arena the PRCA Flag during the Grand Entry. The rodeo announcer will also state that the rodeo is sanctioned by the PRCA.

Justin Sports Medicine Program started in 1980. Then, just like now, Justin Boots were/are a major sponsor of professional rodeo. A Dr. J. Pat Evans, started the program for rodeo cowboys at rodeos. He passed away in 2019 and Dr. Tandy Freeman is now Medical Director of the program. Today, among most recent additions to the program include three brand new mobile medicine centers, four laptop computers and injury-tracking computer software to help with traveling rodeo cowboys who have been injured. At the WNFR, Dr. Freeman updates injured cowboys prior to each go-around. I do think, however, a private ambulance company transports, if the cowboy needs to go to local hospital.