Do You Have Faith In God?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Avigail David, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

In the Almighty God, Creator and King of the universe?

Faith, as I understand it, stands at the highest level in the universe. Yet people treat God's existence irreverently. Thus people deem it irrelevant coming to faith in Him as "gracious, kind, compassionate and full of mercy and truth."

Abraham, has been known as the Father of Faith among the Judeo-Christian universal community. He stood alone-- a man whose direction was opposite to the entire world in his day. Though all mankind was worshiping a multiplicity of gods, Abraham began his quest for the one true God-- Master of all creation.

In his faith, God commended Abraham as righteous. And the Almighty God blessed Abraham with many many more people on earth believing in faith in the God of all Creation. And from God, Abraham became the source of God's goodness and blessings to all humanity.

"Yahweh said, 'Will I hide from Abraham what I will do? Since Abraham will surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth will be blessed through him."

It does make sense.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    Angel J More likes this.
  2. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I am a person of faith. I don't think, in these awful times, I could get out of bed in the morning, if I didn't believe, with all my heart that God is always with us. I have let my guard down a little lately, being tempted to doubt the existence of God, and His interaction with mankind. However, I have quickly rallied, remembering that the Bible warns us that many will fall away in terrible times. We must stand strong, and not give up.

Angel J More and Avigail David like this.
  3. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Anything at all the enemies of the truth may take away from us our strength in the spiritual battle. But faith remains. Faith-- as faithful as can be keeps us hoping and courageous. "Do not fear" takes faith to not fear.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know. I tell myself I'm an agnostic... that prays.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I do have faith in God, I won't pretend that its always easy. When times are hard our faith can be tested. In these times I try to keep my faith and hold on to it even tighter. The thing that some don't want to grasp because they want to stand there asking how if there is a God how could he let terrible things happen is that God didn't create the bad terrible things that happen in our live. But if we turn to God in these hard times God will help get us through them.

6. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

My God is very real and He hears me. I may not have all I want, but I have all I need. He brought me through some bad times and kept me alive when I could have died. And, He gave me a great family.

7. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to believe in god with all of my heart and soul, but as time went by, I started to lose my faith.

I was still a teenager when I started to search for something to believe in, from mystical remote cultures, to ancient practices, but nothing was able to fill the need to believe in God.

Not long ago, and feeling in desperation for some financial issue I was struggling with, I found in my way people that did not only show me that God exists, but told me this; "God loves you" without knowing what I was passing through nor that I want to hear something to comfort me, spiritually speaking.

But then, if God really loves me, why he seems to have deaf ears to my pleas, and when he listens to me, he seems to deliver what I call a half-miracle, never the whole of it.

Can't understand it yet.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    Avigail David likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

God is more concerned with our lives after we leave this one, I think, which is why He may seem to ignore our pleas for a comfortable life here sometimes.

9. Angel J More

Angel J More Veteran Member
    Registered

Faith and belief in God is deeply personal. It is not easily defined or explained,especially in the midst of trials. How can one simply provide the reason for the death of a loved one or the numerous crimes in our society?
    I believe that we should continue to pray for strength, especially in our spiritual life. I believe that God hears all our prayers;He just responds in different ways and even His seemingly "No" or silence is His answer to our prayers already because at that particular moment,it is God's best for us.

10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no faith in the God of the Bible. I don't know if there is a hereafter; I live as though there in none. But if there is, religion will play or have no effect on anything. Religions of today are manmade, the books of the bible written so far after the fact if they are facts, they are meaningless. But people can believe whatever they want. I would not knock it. I say I am a none believer,
    an agnostic, who prays and has hope things will work out all right.

11. Pat Davis

Pat Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I do have faith in God, Avigail, and there are times, I couldn't have made it without him....he gives me strength. I respect other's faith and also if they have no faith, and I expect to receive the same from them. I do not respect the religion ISIS practices tho.

Hannah and I must have been visiting the same forum, as there was a person who frequently posted threads against religion or faith in God and always called person's of faith moron's.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  12. Allison Schuck

Allison Schuck Veteran Member
    Registered

I have faith in Our Lord Jesus Christ. If I didn't I am sure I would have committed suicide long ago. I need a purpose for my life. He died for my sins, what greater purpose could there be.

13. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I agree with Bill - "people can believe what they want". This is fair enough. It just so happens that I don't.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I can understand that people may not wish to be pestered by those who are trying to share their beliefs with you, and certainly there are those who do not do so tactfully or respectfully. Particularly, those who do not live lives that are a good testament to their words will be generally ineffective and annoying. However, I don't know about other religions, but Christians are commanded to evangelize, to teach the Gospel to the lost, to baptize believers, and to teach them to live a Christian life. For the Christian, this is a commandment, not a suggestion, nor is it something that can be relegated to the preachers.

Does that mean that every Christian is supposed to wear white shirts and ties, and go door to door? Certainly not, although I do have to point out that the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses have been quite successful with it.

Every Christian is commanded to share his faith with others and if we look to the first generation of Christians for an example of how we are supposed to do this, we learn that they did not opt for an easy way out. For their efforts, they were criticized, scorned, beaten, stoned, and killed in a variety of ways. Quite clearly, there were those who did not appreciate being approached by the early apostles and disciples of Jesus Christ but they didn't let that stop them, and Christianity spread.

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I was taught about Jesus from as early as I can remember, and I have always prayed about things, and I firmly believe that there have been times in my life where the Lord has certainly taken care of me when I needed help.
    This does not mean that I got everything that I asked for, but still, there were times when I have no other explanation except for a loving Creator listening to my prayers.
    Here is what happened today:

My car is an ancient, abused stationwagon, fast approaching End of Life (200,000 miles) for a car. The "check engine " light has been on steadily ever since we got the car a couple of years ago.
    It barely limps along, and we have had to get it towed home a time or two. I am always worried when I have to go more than a few blocks away from home.
    Recently, the brakes have been making a really weird noise and vibration, too.
    You get the picture.....

So, last night, I was praying for God to take care of the car, since I had to drive out to my daughter's to pick up her mail (she is out of town still). Today, I started down the road, and the car seemed to be running better.
    I looked at the dash, and <<<amazement !>>> the check engine light was OUT !
    The brakes are not making weird sounds, either.

Answered prayer, or mechanical mystery ? Whatever it is, I have been thanking the Lord for helping me.