Do You Have Any Pets?

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Helene Lawson, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a long-haired Dachshund once, and she was the prettiest and sweetest little dog. She was a blue Merle color and had very soft and silky hair.
    She was mostly a house dog, although she did like to go outside and play when the weather was nice, and I was outside also.
    The way that their face is, the longhaired Dachshunds always remind me of a miniature Afghan Hound's face.
    Of course, they are both hounds, just very difference in size and body appearance. The Afghan Hound is one of my most favorite breeds of dog, and they are just so graceful and beautiful when their hair is flowing out as they walk or run.
    The Afghan is not as affectionate as most dogs, and they have kind of a remote personality sometimes, although some of them are not that way. I think that the little Dachshunds have a much more outgoing personality, at least mine did.
    image.jpeg

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Pickles is an inside dog also, Yvonne. He doesn't like being outside except to do his business, then he's ready to back in. He doesn't like walking either, there have been times he sat down and refused to budge and I had to carry him home. Thank goodness we weren't that far. He's lazy....like his owner. :)

3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Izzy get lots of attention when we're out and about. Generally it is good attention, but as always there are those that just have to have their drama. In a way I almost feel at bit sorry for them, because of course they draw more attention to the situation by being loud and obnoxious, Then they are told that Izzy has just as much right to be there as they do. In fact the owner of whatever establishment we are in, by law can not refuse us service, but they can the person causing the hassle.

Most people realize that service dogs always wear a vest for quick identification, and on Izzy's leash is his picture ID. If I were to have a real bad seizure while out and about, Izzy's ID also carries my medical information, so that the EMT's can scan it, which gets me help quicker.

Then there are the people that think that having a service dog would be so cute. I quickly disillusion them by explaining that not just anyone can have a service dog. The animal must go through expensive training, you have to have a doctor's written statement as to why you need such an animal. I lucked out, as I already had Izzy, and he was showing signs of picking up on my seizure by the time he was six months old. Most service animals are raised and trained by professional handlers, and that is one reason they are so expensive. Izzy had three cataract eye surgeries by the time he was 14 months old at just under $13,000, and I still haven't paid even half the cost of many service animals. That is one reason why so many veterans can't get them. I had to put Izzy and I through training, so that we both had good enough manners to be out in public.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    Yvonne Smith and Ruby Begonia like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ina, the dog I mentioned in my post wore a vest and was allowed in the 4th grade classroom. The teacher didn't have any medical conditions so I'm wondering on what grounds Zeus was allowed in class?

I'll have to ask my grandson, maybe he remembers or maybe even my daughter knows....now I'm curious.

Also, at the Macy's in Monterey I see many dogs inside the store, on a leash and they aren't service dogs, just pets....mostly small dogs but I didn't think you could bring a dog in a dept store. I've only seen it at this particular Macys.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  5. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

It's so amazing what service dogs can do! Like tell when a seizure is coming for Ina for instance ; it just amazes me!

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Dogs can do many amazing things. When I volunteered at St Agnes Hospital in the surgery waiting room, every once in awhile there was a worker who would come in with a service dog and just walk around the room and let the people who were waiting for surgery on their loved ones to be over pet the dog. I think it calmed them and took their minds off their worries for a bit.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

One of Chipper's Shorkies puppies went to a couple that had him trained to be able to go and visit people in hospitals and nursing homes. I think that it was similar to a service dog, but they did not have any medical issues either. His job was to cheer up people who were terminally ill, or sometimes just lonely.

I do not know if Mr. Fletcher was allowed to go into restaurants like a service dog would be able to; but he was trained and educated to be able to go into hospitals, so maybe he could go into restaurants as well.
    He had special little outfits that he would be dressed in sometimes, and even a little wagon that he rode in when he went in the local parades.
    Before my old computer died several years ago, I had many pictures that the owners had sent me of Mr. Fletcher in his various outfits over the years.
    When the computer died, I also lost all of the email addresses; so I have not heard from them for a long time now (my email changed as we moved from one area to another, and they lost touch with me as well).

Chipper And Fazoli, Mr. Fletcher's parents.
    image.jpeg

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, dogs are used a lot in hospitals and nursing homes to cheer up the sick and old. Pretty amazing.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

image.jpg image.jpg

Just took these 2 pics a few minutes ago, playing with Pickles. He waits for me to get near enough to grab the toy and then he grabs it and runs with it.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Registered

It's true about dogs in hospitals. I enjoyed dog visits twice when I was inpatient. One even jumped up on the bed with me, and lay his front leg over me. He was a Portuguese water dog . I loved it! He looked sort of like this:

1.jpg

11. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Chipper and Pickles are very nice looking!