Do You Have Any Close Gay Friends?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, May 28, 2016.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I ask the question in this particular Forum because I am aware that many of different religious considerations are influenced by such.

By friends I don't mean casual aquaintances, but rather individuals that you may dine with, converse with, work with, socialize with regularly, have to your home.

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have this suspicion about my nephew who is the only son of my older sister. He is now 25 years old and had never had a girlfriend or any indication thereof. There is a particular oddity in the way he moves but that's no proof. In high school, his 2 bosom friends are both gay so his father had reprimanded him for choosing those friends. My brother-in-law was afraid of the influence. We don't discuss such things for it is only a suspicion on my part. I don't know if my sister has that suspicion too.

But what can we do if my nephew turns out to be gay? We just have to live with it. My brother-in-law has a lesbian sister so maybe homosexuality runs in the family. But in fairness to my nephew, he is a kind person, decent and law-abiding aside from a diligent student and now an employee (of an airline). I am hoping that he would someday prove that he is a real man, get married, and have a family.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

o_O

Suspicion?
    Reprimanded for having gay friends?
    Oddity in way he moves?
    BIL has lesbian sister so maybe it runs in family? (WHAT!?)
    Prove himself to be a real man?

Wow. Just.....wow.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not any more, but our daughter was a co-founder of SPARTA, and her wife is a co-founder of the Military Partners and Families Coalition. Loving someone and disagreeing with their lifestyle are not mutually exclusive, and it certainly doesn't have to involve hatred or even dislike. My wife and I enjoyed a good relationship with our daughter, who spent a week with us only a few days before her unexpected death. I fact, even though I disagreed with their mission, I was proud of her accomplishments. I like several of her friends, and still do. We don't live close enough to be friends but that's the only thing that would prevent it.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
  6. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

No. Why you asking?o_O

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Forgot to answer the question. Yes, and I never had a problem with it.

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

This is a really hard subject for me to discuss. As a Christian who believes God speaks His Truth and Authority through the Bible I cannot see homosexuality any different than God sees it...and according to the Bible God sees it as perversion and an abomination to Him. It doesn't matter that the World has decided to change its mind about this subject and see it as normal and natural now....God did not change His mind or His Truth about homosexuality...and as God's child I cannot change my mind either. No matter what the world or society says...homosexuality is still perversion and not the way God created humans to be. Having said that neither did God create human beings to fornicate, commit adultery, divorce, have abortions, murder, rape, etc. It's all sin according to God our Father and Creator...and the only one who can wash us clean of these sins is God's one and only Son, Jesus Christ who shed His blood and died for all sinners so that we could have redemption from our sins. There are many who may not believe any of this, but as a Christian this is my belief.

I have no problem sharing my belief on this subject. What's hard for me to discuss is that someone I loved very much gave in to homosexuality and ended up dying from Aids. Our sins can and will be forgiven if we repent and accept Jesus as our redemption from those sins. But lots of times there are still natural consequences for our actions...with homosexuality a very natural consequence is dying from Aids. My cousin was the same age as me and we were very close growing up, when he chose to enter into this lifestyle it did not change my love for him one bit. But my love couldn't save him from dying of Aids and even my prayers couldn't change the choice he made and kept making even though it killed him. My cousin knew God, knew Jesus....but I cannot answer whether He repented and asked Jesus to redeem him from the sin that ended up killing him. Because I loved my cousin and I knew God loved him too...my heart likes to believe he was washed clean of that sin before he passed from this earth and that one day I will see him again in eternity. Because Jesus loved him too and the Bible says if one of His sheep got lost, He would go and find that sheep and bring that sheep back home...my heart's hope is that my cousin was found and is now home.

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Hmmmm........there must be some type of curiosity with the subject so I guess I will take a stab at it.
    The curiosity I do not understand is that I do not believe I ever needed to know what anyone else did behind closed doors. Unless someone just wants to volunteer that information for whatever unknown reason I never bothered to wonder. A person is a person and no matter the situation keep your private life to yourself. It's simplifies things.

But, the truth be told, on the secular side I have worked in the Food and Beverage industry for over 50 years and I know I never worked in a house that didn't have at least a 20% ratio of gays to straights. Where I hail from, New Orleans, the ratio is probably 80% gay to straights especially in the French Quarter.
    In short, if you can't get along with someone because of their sexual proclivities, it's best to stay out of the F&B industry.

Now, have I had friends that were or are gay? Sure. Of note there was Antoine Domino, Fats Domino's son. I didn't even know he was gay until his husband came into my restaurant, knocked him off of the piano stool and drug him outside of my place. Seems there was something about him promising to meet him somewhere.....dunno.
    Frankie Ford (of "Sea Cruise" fame) was a very close friend of mine and sex never came into any of our conversations. He also volunteered to be my music coach when I played in a New Orleans production of Hair and Jesus Christ Superstar,

Let's see now, uh, I really like the other definition of Gay. Ya know, the one that is indicative of someone's emotional demeanor. Like: My wife is generally pretty gay until I leave the toilet seat up. Yeah, that ticks her off a bit.

Von Jones and Babs Hunt like this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't have any gay friends but I don't have any straight friends either. I'm sort of friendless.

Ike Willis likes this.
  11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

{{{Bill}}} I'll be your friend. :D

I know some gay men. I find them to be some of the kindest, most generous, most thoughtful people I know. The way I see it, they are the way God made them. We know He doesn't make mistakes so it stands to reason that He intended for them to be that way. What His purpose is, I don't know. Who are we to question His decisions?

Von Jones, Bill Boggs and Ike Willis like this.
  12. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

No, I don't now. The first gay person I ever knew, I met through work. I was a very messed up young person due to my home life and bullying endured at school. This woman was very kind to me. I did go to her home a few times.

13. Ike Willis

Registered

The only gays I ever had to associate with were employed at a place I once worked. They were NOT the kind, gentle, humorous types as portrayed on TV shows or in movies. They were loud, crude and disgusting.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think gay people are pretty much like every other sort of people. Some of them are nice, others are jerks, and most are somewhere in between.

Yvonne Smith and Ike Willis like this.
  15. Ike Willis

Registered

Yes, I realize not all gays are bad. I do know a few that are very talented. I admire that.