Do You Have Any Aunts And Uncles Still Alive?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Holly Saunders, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm 63 the second eldest of my father's children and the eldest of my mothers'...

My father & mother both came from very large families... some of my cousins were so much older than me I called them aunties and some were just 10 or so years older than me.... but out of my mother and father's siblings.. I have only 2 uncles and one aunt left...

One uncle is the same age as my elder brother..

What about you, any aunts and uncles left

2. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Nope!

My sister, brother, and I are the geezers in the back row of the family photos these days.

Frank Sanoica and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, just an aunt by marriage. She was married to my uncle and she's a witch. :)

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have two aunts left. I have lost several uncles and aunts in the past two or three years.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

One uncle and one aunt.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Witch???? My curiosity is going wild.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I think most of the early Baby Boomers, like wife and I, Aunts and Uncles have been gone for quite a while. "Early Baby Boomers" meaning I was born in 1949 and wife in 1948. Baby Boomer Generation last for about 18 years, starting in 1946.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Well rhymes with witch. :)

Nobody in the family liked her.

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh
    Easy, Cody, easy now!
    Frank

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

My elder brother was born in '46 and obviously the same as me he has 2 uncles and an aunt left...

11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My mother was the youngest of 5 girls, the eldest being 21 years older than my mother, so no aunts or uncles left.

12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Holly Saunders
    Now, thinking about it, having had many uncles and aunts as well as great-uncles and aunts, I believe they are all gone, the last being my Dad's kid brother Jim, only sibling he truly loved. Jim died in the late '90s; thank goodness I travelled to Wisconsin to see him in about 1993. My wife and her folks drove there from their home in Indiana, around 1994, never having met him, and he graciously took them to the famed "House on the Rock", then out to dinner. He was then about 83.

The House is dedicated largely to music of days past, but also nostalgic things unexpected.
    • [​IMG]
    Enormous marry-go-round inside:
    • [​IMG]
    Every kind of mechanized music-making machines from early 20th. C., including entire playing orchestras operating solely by mechanical programming and compressed air.
    • [​IMG]
    These are all life-sized figures, seemingly playing their instruments, but being played mechanically.
    • [​IMG]
    One of the most incredible places I have ever seen in my entire life. My Dad early in his career, worked for Mills Novelty Company, which built many of those music machines, as well as slot machines. He was a Tool & Die Maker like @Sheldon Scott , making dies which formed and blanked the numerous moving parts within the machines.
    Frank

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

WoW!!!! what a place!!

I had a letter recently from one uncle , he lives in another country, so I haven't seen him in 10 years, he's deaf and dumb and doesn't use the internet but is only 10 years older than me, and happily ensconced in a relationship, but he was my father's youngest brother and favourite uncle to all us kids.. ... the second uncle also in another country and I last spoke to him by phone a couple f years ago , he's my mothers' youngest brother but distanced himself from the family many years ago..

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Holly Saunders
    If you've never seen one, nor heard it play, here is an example. Note it has a keyboard as well as violin, one can see the little hammers beating against the strings. The machines have become very scarce, as over the many decades since they were built, attrition has taken it's toll. The Violano Virtuoso was built by Mills Novelty Company in Chicago:

Yvonne Smith and Beatrice Taylor like this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

These machines were only one type of electro-mechanical music-makers built by Mills. Some played horns, and percussion instruments, very complicated devices, for their time. Various means were used to "program" them. One I recall at the House on the Rock had a huge rotating brass drum, as big as a 5-gallon bucket, with thousands of pins sticking out, which actuated air valves controlling devices which moved the keys, bows, etc. Here is "Edelweiss":

Note this machine plays 2 violins simultaneously.