Do You Have A Foam Mattress Topper On Your Bed?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 9, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I always liked a firm mattress to sleep well but last year bought a 2 inch topper. I haven't been sleeping well for the pat few months and suspect it was due to soft a bed from the topper. I took the topper off today and now I will find out what tonight will bring.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No, but we have a memory foam mattress.

Terry Coywin likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Can't stand memory foam. I wasted several years trying to get used to two different memory foam mattresses, and would rather sleep on the floor, often did.

I like to change positions a lot at night. You can't do that when the mattress has sunken places where you've just been. Moving is like climbing out of a valley and balancing on a ridge, until the ridge sinks into another valley.

Finally went back to inner springs, the firmest one Sealy makes. No pad or even pillow top. I love it.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

They must make it better now because I'm not having that problem, and I change positions a lot because I hate sleeping on my back. When they get old, they're uncomfortable, I know, because we just replaced ours.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We have two, one thick, one thinner on our bed. When we bought our new mattress, we chose one that was way to stiff. Unfortunately, once opened, it couldn't be returned (company policy). So, the memory foam came into play.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No, we don't use a topper but I like a fluffy mattress pad. How did you sleep without the topper?

7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I slept well last night with just my firm mattress.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My mattress is super hard. I have a 3 inch memory foam mattress on it. It has some kind of jell that is supposed to keep it from being hot. I have a quilted mattress cover on top of the foam mattress. It sleeps like a dream.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Of course not!

We have a "mattress" on our bed. (shown)

Hal
    002.JPG

10. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes I do, and I love it.

About 10 years ago, I researched latex mattresses, and decided I should have one for the sake of my back. Then it cost me $800. but today much higher.
    Nice thing is that each side has a different degree of support. Since I'm pretty skinny, I use the hardest side, and I've been fine, along with the topper.
    The latex ones have a life of about 40 years, and have zero chemicals - all natural. (so I believe I have the perfect setup)

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Do you have one on your bed? How many inches thick is it?

We have two Memory Foam Toppers on our King size bed. One is 3 1/2 inches thick and the other is 1 1/2 inches thick. Even though I've read online that having more than one foam topper on a bed is definitely not recommended, we've had both for some four years. We are now waking with a little back pain, not sleeping as good as we use to and it's not as comfortable as it use to be.

Took the 1 1/2 inch one off, but then the bed was just too uncomfortable/hard. Put the 1 1/2 inch one back on, but, still somewhat uncomfortable. We are now looking at getting a new 3 inch Topper and tossing the two we have.

We made a mistake when we bought a new mattress four, or so, years ago, when we got a firm one. Turned out that it was definitely harder than we wanted, but had to keep it due to company policy about returning an opened mattress. So, that's when the 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 Toppers were bought.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Really wondering if we should get a new Memory Foam Bed Topper? One that is either 3 inches thick or one that is 4 inches thick? Do Memory Foam Toppers wear out?

Like I've stated in my previous post about how multiple Memory Foam Toppers aren't suggested by Bed Topper manufacturers, and that's what we have (a 1 1/2 inch Topper is laying on top of a 3 1/2 inch Topper).

We know there are different things that can contribute to the lack of sleep and we are trying to figure out why my wife sometimes has an extremely hard time either getting to sleep or getting back to sleep after waking up in the middle of the night. She now puts on yellow clip-on driving glasses an hour or two before going to bed, when watching tv. Her MD told her to do this.

Also, sometimes she will take a 200mg Motrin and, sometimes, that will help her sleep and sometimes not. We've also bought her two different types of sleep aid, but neither one work as nicely as we'd like.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Looks like we will be getting a Tempur-Topper Supreme. It is made by Tempur-Pedic and is very high on the list of Best Toppers. It will cost $269, which is a 40% discount from $449. Sales ends this coming Monday.

Neither of us are getting as good of sleep as we should be. If the Topper doesn't help my wife get better sleep, of which we sure hope it will, the only other thing left to think about is the stress of her job. It isn't "that" stressful, but it is stressful.

Like I stated in another thread of mine, "she spent a year and a half not working and, there were a couple of days at the end of each week (Thurs./Fri), I'd let her sleep in until 9 or 9:30AM. Currently, alarms go off at 6:15AM and, unless it's to do something fun, or an early appointment, she definitely doesn't like getting up at that time.

Currently, her best sleep is all night is at 4AM and on. The rest of the night can be "ok", but she wants more than just "ok".

14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Weren't you guys thinking of taking walks after dinner to get her a little exercise? Maybe that was someone else...

15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Had one at one time. Our extra firm mattress that we've had for over 10 years is wonderful for a good night's sleep.

Cody, from all you have shared with us...I don't think the mattress is the reason your wife is not getting a good night's sleep. But I hope it will help.