Do You Have A E-bike? Will You Buy One ?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I haven't decided for sure yet, but this one has good ratings, price is a little more than I'd hoped, and its 9.4 lbs (a little heavy, but not bad), but it has good ratings and all say that its pretty easy to assemble, and has a max speed of about 32 mph on full power.

The greenways have a speed limit of 25mph (I have no idea how they check this - (I've never seen a "greenway" cop anywhere), so it certainly is one to consider. Also, one can turn off the motor and pedal as usual down inclines.

It called the : BAFANG BBS02B 48V 750W Mid Drive Electric Bike Motor Ebike Conversion Kit, and costs about $350.

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

You've all got the wrong idea...its a TRIKE you need, not an unstable 2-wheeler!

If you can't handle a bike, then you probably CAN handle a Trike!

Just go to a bike shop and ask to ride one around, man!

Hal
    001.JPG

Thomas Windom likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I'm pretty sure I'd be stable enough on a two-wheeler.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Ditto.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Given the right kind of surfaces to ride on, I can see that this might be comfortable.

6. Hal Pollner

Registered

I learned to ride a 2-wheel bike in 1946 and sold my last one a year ago, after 73 years of riding, when I became too wobbly on it.

Ahhh...but a TRIKE is a totally different story!:D

You can get a 15-speed machine like mine for $1200-$1500. It has a disc brake for the rear wheels and a caliper brake for the front.

I use mine for riding around the quiet residential streets of my neighborhood at a casual 6 MPH.

Mary Stetler and Ken Anderson like this.
  7. Hal Pollner

Registered

If you're considering an E-bike for exercise, you can get just as much of a workout watching a Perry Mason re-run from your Recliner!

Hal

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

They gave away an E bike on the Price Is Right today. Only worth $960.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

One of the things that I want to do when I go to visit Robin in the Netherlands would be to go bike riding around; but I can no longer balance well enough for a regular 2-wheeled bike, so we discussed one of the 3-wheeled ones for me.
    This morning, she just sent me a video of one that is somewhere between a mobility scooter and an adult trike. The lady in the video has had a stroke, and also has heart and kidney problems, and she certainly does not look athletic. She can ride this bike; so I believe that I can ride it too, after watching the video.

After I needed to stop driving a car, and am dependent on Bobby to take me places, I have felt trapped at home. I tried getting one of the regular adult trikes, and almost killed myself by falling over in front of a car, and Bobby had to save me; so I sold the trike.
    This one looks a lot more stable, and is designed for people like me.
    Reading back through this thread, this is something that both Lon Tanner and Bill Boggs could have probably used if they had one.

Robin says that since it defines as a mobility scooter, it can maybe come home with me on the plane when we come back in December, and then I can ride it around here, too.
    It is electric, and can be used as either a scooter or as an assisted pedal trike and even has an app that goes with it .
    Here is the video with Helga, and there are more videos that show it in operation , for anyone else who is interested in having one of these.

I watched the video, and felt like a bird in a cage and the cage door just opened.

10. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have thought about it. I saw one yesterday and was impressed. Maybe a trike is what I need, tho. Sadly my best friend's brother was killed on one recently (his fault) which set my desire back a bit.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

When I had the trike, I was out on the road for my first time riding it, and made the mistake of having my left foot down when I started pedaling with my right foot, like you do on a regular bike. With the wide wheels in back, I ran over my heel, and then a car came barreling down the street. Bobby barely grabbed me and pulled me out of the way in time. I decided that it was just not very safe for me to have one, so I sold it.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

There is a new bike accessory that has recently come out, called Swytch, which turns any kind of bike into an e-bike. According to the ads, you have your front tire fitted for the e-bike, and then a little battery pack clips on to the front of the handle bars, which turns the bike into an e-bike.
    I have been wondering if it also would work with the adult tricycle, and since it has a single front wheel, it seems to me like it might work.

I still would like to have another adult trike, but after the last experience, I totally know that it would be dangerous to have one where we live right now. Not only is the road not level, we have crazy drivers speeding up and down the road at all hours of the day and night, so it is totally not safe to even go outside and walk , let alone ride a bike or trike.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My wife and I have recumbent trikes (tadpole) and, when we were younger and didn’t mind hauling them to a place where we could safely ride, enjoyed them a lot.

The trikes are a different experience, SUPER comfortable, like going for a ride in a lawn chair. Need to climb a hill, shift it into one of the crazy low gears and take your time. You can’t go too slow because you can’t fall over. My wife really liked them because of the more natural neck and arm positions.

Two caveats with trikes, if you do have hills, you need good leg muscles because you can’t stand on the pedals and let gravity help you and second, they can be more difficult for automobile drivers to see you.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My son is selling some used high-end e-bikes. His current boss had an e-bike rental business he decided to close. He had a guy selling them for him but he sold none. My son, using Facebook marketplace and other emarkets has sold a number of them even in the winter here. He expects the sales to increase as the weather warms. Preppers are beginning to find them useful for transport as they can be charged with a solar panel.

15. Yvonne Smith

My facebook page has been full of advertisements for the electric senior tricycles, and I would just LOVE to have one. However, I think where we live now, it would not be safe to use here.
    The people blast down this street like they were being chased and over the speed bumps like they think that they are roller coasters, so it is NOT the place for an old lady to be out puttering around on a trike, electric or otherwise.
    I wanted a trike and got one a few years back, and almost fell over and got hit by a car. Bobby saved me in the nick of time, and I (sadly) sold the trike because it was just dangerous to have one here.

If I could live in an apartment on a side road that was flat and safer, then I would just love to have an electric trike and on nice days be able to go out and ride around. My daughter got me one to use , if i ever get to the Netherlands to visit her and be able to ride it.

Has anyone else ever had one of the electric ones ?