Do You Have A Balanced Meal Every Four Hours?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Since I started putting riblets in the smoker, I haven’t had a spare rib since. I bring ‘em up to temp then let it drop to 120 and let them go for about 4 hours. Around here, they run 10# for $17.00 and I don’t pay for a lot of bones.

But back to the OP, it depends on my schedule of workouts. Some days a lot of meals at small portions and other days 1 meal at a larger portion. Casein protein or peanut butter an hour or so before bed.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've tried a couple of smokers.

I had a C.O.S. (cheap offset smoker) I borrowed for a while, but could only keep the temp up on a hot day with full-sun solar assist. The ribs that came off of it were very,very good. You just had to have the right weather conditions.

I purchased a bullet smoker on sale and made a bunch of the recommended modifications (drilled holes in the ash pan, put an adjustable vent in the ash pan, sealed up the lid and the door, even notched out the housing and flipped the legs around so I could lift up the whole shebang to access the coal pan rather than putz with the little access door), but I cannot keep a steady temperature to save my soul (even with the bowl of water as a heat sink.) As you know, everything sits above the fire in those things, so it's either blazing hot or stone cold. Or I keep hot coals nearby and toss one in every 10 minutes. Not my idea on how to spend the day...

When I would have a big batch of smoked ribs in the freezer, I would make the world's best quesadillas out of them. I would brush a little BBQ sauce on a flour tortilla, sprinkle smoked rib meat on it, top with fresh shredded cheddar cheese, sometimes sprinkle a little cole slaw on it, then top with another tortilla (sauce is not required on both of them.) Then grill both sides. Mmmmmmmm.....

Regarding your closing comment: I wish I had a gym close by (not that it matters in El Día de la COVID. ¡Move over, Chupacabra! There's an Hombre Nuevo in town.) I'm carrying a slug of surplus weight around my belly. Happened once before. If I get in the gym and am reasonably active it goes away. There are none where I live. I really gotta get some equipment and convert a spare room. My cardiologist said "Calories in/calories out," to which I replied "Yeh, plus resting metabolism." That affect cannot be discounted.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. John Brunner

How so, Bill?

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

No..probably never eaten a balanced anything. The food people can't make up their minds as to what is healthy and what isn't.
    Eat this..don't eat that...this will harm you
    Unless it's a lonely little non filling veggie..it will kill you.BS just eat something dang it!

Ken Anderson and John Brunner like this.
  5. John Brunner

And those lonely little non filling veggies better by non-GMO, dammit!

I go Old School: Salad + Meat + Green Veggie + Starch
    Salisbury steak.jpg
    Then maybe dessert. Perhaps a fudgesicle.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Modification 2.1 with potential update:

If you have space in your smoker, you can install a heating element for next to nothing. You can get an old element from stuff like an old hot water heater, old oven and even some coffee pots. Amazon sells thermostats for $20 ++ .
    If you install one in the bottom, you can simply place a tray on top with your smoking ingredients and go from there. Or if you install one justto get the temp back up to whatever is acceptable to you then unplug it, that’s even easier.

Now, back to the eating stuff. I’m presently back to supplying my body with at least 50% of the calories as proteins which tells you I’m pretty much into the carnivore type of diet. That way, even if I am in a little or none carb cycle, the process of turning proteins into glucose (glucoprotein genesis) doesn’t take away from muscle mass.
    Now, if I’m not denying myself carbs (very short of carb loading) then I still hold onto the rule of thumb of 1 or more grams of fiber to 5 grams of carbs.

Just thought about your Hombre Nuevo comment. Anyone can figure out a guy so that beast Has to be a Seniorita Loca.

7. John Brunner

Thanks for the smoker tips. I'll have to check into it. The reason I've not invested in a better one is I live alone...it would not get tons of use. Heck, I've just been researching new propane grills. $300-$600 without going "premium" and some number of "Rusts out in the first year" reviews. The one I've got lasted over 15 years. I'm not going down the same path I've done with "higher cost/shorter lives"refrigerators. So frustrating.

Regarding diet...I like bread. I like pasta. And I don't eat as much red meat as I used to...not be design, it's just happened. And I've been more sedentary than ever before in my entire life. I really need to get moving again and see how things shake out from there. I don't know if my age has caught up to me, or if I'm mostly suffering from inertia.

What really sucks is I used to do tons of bike riding...commuting to work and leisure stuff on the weekends. I would bike 10 miles to meet with a group, go on our ride, then bike 10 miles back home again. I would ride my bike to the gym, play an hour of raquetball, then ride back home. I would keep a pulse oximeter by my bed just to take my heart rate when I would wake up, I was that into it. *sigh*

And I agree with your Chupacabra observation.
    It's Chupacabra, not Chupacabro ...Bro.

So COVID is the Mujer Nueva in town!
    >Wear a mask and you're a pu$$y!
    >Don't wear a mask and you'll die!
    >Tomorrow I may morph and you can't get rid of me!!!

>Do you think I'm fat?

Yup. The feminine noun, for sure.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Ya know, when I give the message for the chapel services at a rescue mission, I always remind the guys and gals that “without change, there will be no change”.

I was thinking about that whilst reading your post and I think I have to revise that train of thought just for seniors. How about, “without change, everything continues to go downhill’?
    I mean, no one truthfully dies a “natural” death. Normal causes yes, but not natural.
    If we look at it properly, even old age isn’t a good reason because there’s always some contributing factor like a failing heart, lungs, bad circulation and even bad nutrition and yeah,... lack of exercise and the list goes on.

So I ask myself in particular, “why do I not want to workout today or why do I want so many carbs or even sweets’? (because I definitely do have those times)
    If I know that I will not necessarily live longer but I’ll live better, why not just bow up, train hard, stick to my nutritional schedule and enjoy life that much more and be able to smile when I look in the mirror? Dunno. It’s kinda scary really.

Anywho, about an hour ago I had my one big meal for today which consisted of a highly seasoned 12 oz New York Strip with 3 halved boiled eggs and a sliced garden tomato. In the morning I’ll have about 60 grams of protein before my workout and I’ll have my witches brew with and after I train.
    Next week I’ll probably be doing my 6-8 small meals per day but I haven’t figured out the changes I want to make in my workout schedule yet so that’s still up in the air.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

@Bobby Cole

You know that there are lots of reasons why we do (and don't do) the things in our lives that we do (or don't do.)
    The best one can hope for is to be aware of the reasons "why."

When I worked and went to night classes, I made the best use of every available minute because so few were available.
    What there's all the time in the world, then there's no sense of urgency.

Lots of stuff to it. Lots of reasons why and why not.

10. John Brunner

@Bobby Cole

Re: your rescue mission work. I was with a group here who did home repairs for folks who could not otherwise afford to have them done. This outfit was around for 14 years and worked on 75 or so homes. I was with them for 7 years and worked on maybe 36 or so homes. Sadly, we ran out of money and volunteers. I really miss it. I never intended to stop. It really gave me purpose.

Between my 12 Step work (I quit drinking in 1990) and my volunteer home repair work (and other volunteer stuff), I've met some very special, very nice people I would not have otherwise ever crossed paths with. Just so many parallel existences in our society (and in the world), and so many hurdles folks stumble over in their lives that can easily be helped by others.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Ah, my own Moriarity, so to speak, is a never ending quest for the answers to “why”. Once I think I have one answer in hand, Gadzooks, another game is afoot !..

Now, to the building / help ministry. To me, there is no amount of money that can compare to the joy one finds in their own heart after helping another human being find hope.
    Good Job @John Brunner, Good Job!

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Health Experts say we should eat every four hours to maintain good health and our metabolism. I have a meal every four hours with the largest one being breakfast or dinner.

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course not. And there is an "expert" behind every shrubbery. :D

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. John Brunner

Yup.
    Anyone from out of town.

I can't tell you how many dollars I saw thrown at "experts" so that highly-paid executives could dodge accountability.

Please remind me: are eggs OK to eat this week? Can I have that 3rd cup of coffee?

15. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Balanced? HA HA HA!

Yeah...I'm really concerned if my meals are balanced, Jack! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020