Do You Get Enough Rest?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Pat Baker, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I think we take on too much and often do not feel good about ourselves if we do not have every minute filled up with some type of activity. We do not give ourselves enough time to sleep or cook and eat good healthy meals. Some people are working two jobs to make ends meet which makes them feel tired all the time, which can lead to depression and doctor bills.

Some times you just feel stuck and don't see a why out.

Rest is often the answer. Rest is not just sleep, rest can be taking a long walk in new area, starting a new hobby can give you something new to think about which is another way to de-stress.

How do you rest?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Sometimes I go to bed early and read, at other times I'll stay in bed late and read, and I spend time in restaurants reading, all of which are nice in that they get me away from my computer, and I can justify reading. Otherwise, I too often feel that I am wasting my time, knowing that there are many things that I hope to do in the time that I have left here. Spending time on my land, where there are no utilities, is probably the closest I come to relaxing, and sometimes I don't even work while I am there, but simply walk through the woods or sit in a chair being scolded by squirrels. Even when I am cutting trees, clearing brush, or planting things on the land, it counts for relaxation.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    Ike Willis and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ken, I usd t feel the same way when I lived in my little trailer house in north Idaho. The propery had been logged, and the spot where my trailer was had been the loading and slash area; so it was full of little shreds of bark and tree limbs. I was always cleaning and raking. In the fall, I could burn; so I would make burn piles (small ones) and burn brush as I cleared and raked it.
    It was a lot of hard work; but it was my place and I loved it there, and so working to make it look better and be useful was a deep satisfaction to me.
    I anjoy working in my yard here in Alabama; but I enjoyed the work at the trailer in Idaho more. It was on property that my mom and dad had lived on during the big depression; and where they lived when I was born; so there was just a part of my soul that was there in that place.

Ike Willis and Ken Anderson like this.
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

My routine is wake up early and sleep early. I leave for work before 5am so I wake up at 4am. Take note that my office work officially starts at 8am - leaving early is to avoid wasting time in the heavy traffic. I normally reach home at 7pm and after dinner, we are on the bed by 10 pm. Obviously, I lack rest that's why I spend the weekend sleeping after lunch time to recover the lost energy during the week.

5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Ever since I packed in my tedious office job, I have kept similar hours. I'd concede that I get up half an hour later, but I still go to bed quite early most days. I like to have half an hour with a book before I go to sleep. It's a good idea to do that if you've been on the computer or watching telly, because your eyes need a chance to readjust before going to sleep.

The only caveat to that is if I've downed a glass or two or fine ale, but strangely enough I find it quite easy to sleep when I do that...

6. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I am the person in charge of waking up the sun in the morning. It isn't that I want to get up early, I would like nothing better then to sleep in most of the time. Days like today where it is cold and rainy are the best. I go to bed around 10pm every night and usually wake up all on my own somewhere around 4:30 or 5am. Sometimes I try to get back to sleep and may have some success, but more often then not I get up and do stuff if I can. I find that by the end of a work week I feel very tired out.

If I am not able to get enough rest and start to feel like I am actually to tired out I will enact what I call a mental health day and call in work. I don't as a rule take to many days off. Heaven knows if you have a flu or something you can burn right through your time off. But occasionally I just need a day to spend in bed catching sleep and chilling out.

I feel the same way about working in my yard as you guys do. It is relaxing to me and does not feel like work. I think mostly because there is no set time. I find time limits stressful. I do not wear a watch for that reason and when I am off work I might not even have the phone either. I really don't care what time it is then. Luckily to some degree my present job is not one of those that demand that I be prompt to the moment. I like that, since the drive in can be stressful if you have traffic. I get to where I am going when I get there, I do not rush.

7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember my father-in-law when he went to the US. At age 66, he worked as a security guard. And to earn more, he got a second job, working 4 hours for 3 times a week. That left him with little time to sleep. Fortunately, he didn't get sick because of that albeit he gained weight, huh. On his first vacation here at age 71, he was hale and hearty despite having 2 jobs. He said that he gets the strength from eating and he sleeps all day during his day off to compensate for the lack of rest.

But not everyone has that strength to endure working for more than 8 hours 3 times a week since the body is like a machine that needs to stop. That's why I admire workaholics who seem to be indefatigable when it comes to their job.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I think I'm getting enough sleep. I try to balance my sleep and get about 8 hours per night. I keep my stress levels low by watching things that help me on television. I exercise, do yoga and try to eat right most of the time to get rid of stress too. I pray and join forums to find answers and stay social I believe I'm getting enough sleep daily to keep healthy. I always try to keep on the positive side of life and know that everything has a solution.