Do You Believe In Prophecy?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Martin Alonzo, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Those who attempt to dignify and separate themselves with Biblical titles (regarding gifts) and introduce themselves as such, generally aren’t the real deal.

Okay, here’s the thing about speaking in tongues. In a congregational setting, Paul warned us that unless it edifies the word of God and His church, we are to stay away from it. All it does is create a massive amount of confusion and places some sort of god like mystique around the person doing it. In short, I vehemently dislike “showtime at the church house”.

That said, I have experienced the real thing.
    On one such occasion, an old friend (now passed) and his daughter were attending church with me and toward the end of the service his daughter stood up and proceeded to speak in a very obvious oriental tongue.
    She finished in a matter of about 1 minute and then sat down looking somewhat exhausted and red faced.
    For a minute or so the church was quiet and then a Japanese man stood up and introduced his mother who was visiting from Japan and further explained that she didn’t speak very much English but he had hoped she understood enough to get through the service.

He then translated what John’s daughter had said and it was a very warm welcome for the old Japanese woman which also very quickly encapsulated what the main part of the message was during the service. He also said that the language spoken was such that she would have had to live in their part of Japan because it fit in with the local isms and thanked her for doing what she did.

The thing is, John’s daughter only spoke American English and to tell the truth, had a simplistic vocabulary at best.
    No Spanish, French, German and certainly not Japanese specializing in a localized dialect.

So yeah, I do believe that all the gifts including prophesy and tongues do exist but if someone advertises it, I’m not buying.

2. Michelle Anderson

Michelle Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

He could also read books while he was sleeping. He would put a book under his pillow and in the morning could talk about it in detail. My understanding is that many people tested him, giving him obscure books, and as far as I know, he never failed with that particular thing.

In Matthew 7, Jesus says:

“Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravaging wolves.You’ll recognize them by their fruit. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes or figs from thistles?In the same way, every good tree produces good fruit, but a bad tree produces bad fruit.A good tree can’t produce bad fruit; neither can a bad tree produce good fruit.Every tree that doesn’t produce good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.So you’ll recognize them by their fruit."

That's the only measure I can take of the question of whether they are or are not a Christian.

While I know about Mr. Cayce, I don't know enough about him to know anything about his fruits.

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"Do You Believe In Prophecy?"

No.

Frank

Hal Pollner and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That sort of leaves the doorway wide open for interpretation.
    If you mean ancient prophecy based on Devine inspiration, it’s historically proven that all the prognostications of the major and minor prophets as designated by scripture have come to pass except one.

If you mean present day prophesy also based on Devine inspiration, some say since all the prognostications have come to pass, except one, that there is no longer a need for prophets.

Or, the prophecies uttered by those who are students of astrology.

Or, those observations by analysts who study data in order to predict upcoming events such as war, the stock market or even the weather or your favorite book maker.

By levels of definition, we all live in a world of prophecy for which no one can readily deny.

In any case, no matter the venue or arena proposed, it is not whether I believe in or on whether present day prophets exist, it is whether I, you or anyone believes them.
    At a stretch, if one can wake up in the morning and proclaim themselves another gender, certainly someone can proclaim themselves to be a prophet.
    But again, it isn’t a question of whether they exist, it’s whether we believe them.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. Michelle Anderson

Michelle Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I knew you were going to say that!

Wait! Does that make me a prophet?

6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Michelle Anderson
    Only if you can prove you knew it before I said it, which you cannot; therefore, no prophet!
    Frank

Michelle Anderson likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Michelle Anderson
    I have now labelled myself "in perpetuity". Regrettable, maybe. It demands it's own thread, coming up!

8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Regarding Edgar Cayce: My uncle was vitally-interested in the man when I was a kid. I remember him discussing someone then, having the name, and vaguely recall my Dad muttering something about it like "fraud", when we were alone, my Mother & I.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for that info Michelle. I definitely would consider her religious from what you have said too. I only remember that she would prophesy about something and so often it came true. I never really did any research into her life and back ground back then. So I thank you for setting the record straight here.

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Not to the people who don't believe in Prophecy. :) And most of the Prophets were hated by many just as Jesus was. But to those who believe in prophecy it is still alive and well today and will be until Jesus comes back.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is a prophesy from David Wilkerson, made back in 1986.
    It looks like that could be what is going on right now, and it is even called “The Great Awakening” by many people, many of whom probably don’t remember David Wilkerson.

"I see a plague coming on the world, and the bars, churches and government will shut down. The plague will hit New York City and shake it like it has never been shaken. The plague is going to force prayerless believers into radical prayer and into their Bibles, and repentance will be the cry from the man of God in the pulpit. And out of it will come a third Great Awakening that will sweep America and the world."

-David Wilkerson in 1986

Lois Winters likes this.
  12. Caitlin D Burnside

Caitlin D Burnside Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, I do! Example... Earlier today an item fell on its own. As Clairaudient, heard a message... Later on, I see my favourite tarotscope reader, specifically mentioning that something needed to be checked.

I did and voilà results. A Trilogy. Prophecy fulfilled... Cheers!

13. Celia Jenkins

Celia Jenkins Well-Known Member
    Registered

By 'prophet' you mean someone who predicts the future? Biblical prophets seem to have been teachers rather than fortune tellers. It IS possible to see the future, which means that much of what happens is already planned.

14. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

If you look into the Bible, what is happening seems to have been foretold. Especially in the area of Israel. It is chilling.
    But when I was growing up, there were people on any corner in NYC carrying placards proclaiming The End Is Near. And from what I heard, a substantial number of people sold all they had to go to mountaintops in 1899 to await 'the coming'.
    It also says that we are not to know 'the time'. This gives me a bit of hope for now.

15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

This is the verse?

Matthew 24:42,44
    Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come…

Matthew 25:13
    Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.

Zechariah 14:7
    But it shall be one day which shall be known to the LORD, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light.
    https://biblehub.com/matthew/24-36.htm