Do You Believe In Prophecy?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Martin Alonzo, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Michelle Anderson

Michelle Anderson Well-Known Member
    Registered

Well, I guess you could say “he was not interested at the time” if you could overlook his candidacy in 2000 with the Reform Party. You might recall — or maybe you won’t — that he dropped out of the race and left the party after David Duke —and others he called more KKK members — joined it.

Don’t feel bad. Wikipedia forgot about that chapter of Trump’s life — or more accurately, deleted it — as did all of those who kept denigrating Trump because he “refuses to disavow David Duke” some 16 years later.

But I digress. From whence could Kim Clement’s repeated prophecies about Trump have come? I never much liked Kim, but I did watch him from time to time, but I don’t think they were lucky guesses. Perhaps he could have guessed another presidential run, but “Impeach! Impeach!”? Many of us watching this play out today couldn’t believe it was happening as it was.

So, if nothing else makes sense, I’d say it would have to be God.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Michelle Anderson

Registered

I consider her to be a devout Catholic, as she did herself. She went to mass at least twice a week, taking Communion each time. I think that those who only knew about that much about her would have considered her exactly that: a religious woman.

She regularly said that hers was “a gift from God.”

Though I try not to judge such things, as there is Someone Else in charge of that department, I have to say that she probably was a religious woman.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

A different kind of prophet, and nothing to do with President Trump, but a question for you, @Michelle Anderson .
    What do you think about Edgar Cayce, known as “the Sleeping Prophet”, and who seemingly was able to accurately prescribe medical treatment while in one of his trances.
    He likewise proclaimed to be a Christian, although he also believed in reincarnation, and felt it suggested that in the Bible .
    I have not read all of his prophesies, but it seems like some were right , and some not, or were misinterpreted. However, there must have been some kind of a gift there, because he seems to be helping people with the medical recommendations.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Registered

No @Michelle Anderson, it isn't in the least crazy at all !
    As is indicated in 1st Cor. 2:11 and several other New Testament renderings, the spirit does indeed know the spirit.
    The same *Spirit of God* who dwells in others is also known by that same spirit who dwells in you. It isn't that you know, but He who is in you.
    The Spirit is in you, you are in Christ. There isn't a better seat in the house no matter what the gifts are!

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I believe in prophecy because I believe in the truths of the Bible, and prophecy was a part of it. I don't accept that these gifts were intended to end with the apostles. At the same time, I am uncomfortable with people speaking in tongues and generally believe that they are making a spectacle of themselves in order to elevate their own esteem, and I most often distrust those who claim to be prophets. I see no reason to believe that there are no prophets among us today but, at the same time, I think that most of them are phony.

Michelle Anderson and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Registered

Those who attempt to dignify and separate themselves with Biblical titles (regarding gifts) and introduce themselves as such, generally aren’t the real deal.

Okay, here’s the thing about speaking in tongues. In a congregational setting, Paul warned us that unless it edifies the word of God and His church, we are to stay away from it. All it does is create a massive amount of confusion and places some sort of god like mystique around the person doing it. In short, I vehemently dislike “showtime at the church house”.

That said, I have experienced the real thing.
    On one such occasion, an old friend (now passed) and his daughter were attending church with me and toward the end of the service his daughter stood up and proceeded to speak in a very obvious oriental tongue.
    She finished in a matter of about 1 minute and then sat down looking somewhat exhausted and red faced.
    For a minute or so the church was quiet and then a Japanese man stood up and introduced his mother who was visiting from Japan and further explained that she didn’t speak very much English but he had hoped she understood enough to get through the service.

He then translated what John’s daughter had said and it was a very warm welcome for the old Japanese woman which also very quickly encapsulated what the main part of the message was during the service. He also said that the language spoken was such that she would have had to live in their part of Japan because it fit in with the local isms and thanked her for doing what she did.

The thing is, John’s daughter only spoke American English and to tell the truth, had a simplistic vocabulary at best.
    No Spanish, French, German and certainly not Japanese specializing in a localized dialect.

So yeah, I do believe that all the gifts including prophesy and tongues do exist but if someone advertises it, I’m not buying.

7. Michelle Anderson

Registered

He could also read books while he was sleeping. He would put a book under his pillow and in the morning could talk about it in detail. My understanding is that many people tested him, giving him obscure books, and as far as I know, he never failed with that particular thing.

In Matthew 7, Jesus says:

“Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravaging wolves.You’ll recognize them by their fruit. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes or figs from thistles?In the same way, every good tree produces good fruit, but a bad tree produces bad fruit.A good tree can’t produce bad fruit; neither can a bad tree produce good fruit.Every tree that doesn’t produce good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.So you’ll recognize them by their fruit."

That's the only measure I can take of the question of whether they are or are not a Christian.

While I know about Mr. Cayce, I don't know enough about him to know anything about his fruits.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

"Do You Believe In Prophecy?"

No.

Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Registered

That sort of leaves the doorway wide open for interpretation.
    If you mean ancient prophecy based on Devine inspiration, it’s historically proven that all the prognostications of the major and minor prophets as designated by scripture have come to pass except one.

If you mean present day prophesy also based on Devine inspiration, some say since all the prognostications have come to pass, except one, that there is no longer a need for prophets.

Or, the prophecies uttered by those who are students of astrology.

Or, those observations by analysts who study data in order to predict upcoming events such as war, the stock market or even the weather or your favorite book maker.

By levels of definition, we all live in a world of prophecy for which no one can readily deny.

In any case, no matter the venue or arena proposed, it is not whether I believe in or on whether present day prophets exist, it is whether I, you or anyone believes them.
    At a stretch, if one can wake up in the morning and proclaim themselves another gender, certainly someone can proclaim themselves to be a prophet.
    But again, it isn’t a question of whether they exist, it’s whether we believe them.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  10. Michelle Anderson

Registered

I knew you were going to say that!

Wait! Does that make me a prophet?

11. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Michelle Anderson
    Only if you can prove you knew it before I said it, which you cannot; therefore, no prophet!
    Frank

Michelle Anderson likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Michelle Anderson
    I have now labelled myself "in perpetuity". Regrettable, maybe. It demands it's own thread, coming up!