Do You Believe All Atheists Are Going To Hell - Yes Or No?

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Lon Tanner, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

There are an estimated 86 million Atheists in the U.S. Hell would be over crowded.

John Houlihan and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner

Personally, Lon, when I was a child, hearing about "hell" and hades, I took it to heart. As I got older, I realized hell was a conceptual place, it's location and exact details dependent upon the story-teller.

While I do not claim to be an Atheist, not caring in particular what diverse folks choose to believe or disbelieve, hell remains to me only a concept, belief in which is aimed at promoting one unproved idea or another.

Frank

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

With politicians, too.

4. Lon Tanner

Registered

I am sure you realize Frank that you could be labeled an atheist because you think of hell as being conceptual.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think there are many Christians who think of both Heaven and Hell as concepts. That does in no way make them Atheists. God can exist in many way in the minds of humans.

6. Lon Tanner

Registered

If God can exist in MANY ways in the minds of humans then that is also CONCEPTUAL.

Alan Sidlo and Don Alaska like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

To add to Don's comment, some number of mainline religions say that Hell is eternal separation from God and not a fiery place. I believe this is the position the United Methodist Church. If I'm not mistaken, the current thought is the original concept of Hell was an allusion to the burn pits just outside of town back in the day.

One can make what one wants of the evolving opinions and concepts of a religion that's millennia old.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

It doesn't matter what I believe.

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll let God be the Judge of that.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I put a "Like" for Babs post, but I will also say...........excellent reply! Thanks, Babs!

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I tell you what I believe. Lon needs to stop questioning everybody about their beliefs, accept his own or find a minster to answer all these questions. He is obviously wrestling with the devil. ;)

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

No one could have said this better, @Gloria Mitchell , and you are absolutely correct. What any of us think or believe about our faith, God, and the afterlife; none have any effect on Lon’s life, only our own, and our opinions do not change anything.
    Lon has to search and find his own truth, whatever that is, and even if he is not interested in finding that for himself; he should stop asking everyone else about their faith and beliefs.

13. Lon Tanner

Registered

14. Lon Tanner

Registered

I wrestled in school years ago Gloria but not since then.
    I will continue asking questions of SO members on many subjects.

15. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

What I think or say has very little impact on this subject. But the bible does. In the shortest possible manner, here is what it says.

Jesus used strong words of warning about hell because He believed it is real and filled with unspeakably horror. Often He taught that those who didn’t accept His sacrificial life of perfection to atone for sins of humanity (all have sinned and come short of the glory of God) would be thrown into outer darkness where there would be weeping and gnashing of teeth. He offered the way out through His sinless life and became the sacrificial Lamb, and His death on the cross, met God’s standard of perfection.

When we choose to accept this, we become heirs and joint heirs, and His triumph is now imparted to us. His followers can then defeat sin, death, and the devil, with the aid of the Holy Spirit who indwells and empowers us. This invitation is open to all (He stands at the door and knocks) to trust in Him to receive eternal life rather than the opposite, which is eternal punishment that we all deserve for our sin. Each person must choose to believe or not, it is a personal decision.