Disintegration Of Language

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Hal Pollner, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

And, if you will, do permit me to use any and all phrases and words in the English language to convey exactly what I mean.

At the beginning of a sentence, the phrase in question is more of a pause in order for the speaker to make sure that the words that follow will be understood and well thought out. It’s much better than “uh, like uh, ya know uh, I mean uh, like, etc.
    In the middle of a sentence it serves the same purpose but also gives those who are listening a chance to catch up and ponder that which was spoken prior to the pause.
    It also has a psychological manifestation which mentally calls for “acceptance and/or permission” for what one is going to write or say.

Joe Riley and Hal Pollner like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Agree. Some people's attempts to appear intellectual only come off as trying too hard.

Hal Pollner likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Glad you used the phrase, “some people” because this gentleman easily uses the term just as I easily use many terms one would find in good literature or even in good scientific queries.
    Now please, do not view my part of the conversation as an attack of any sorts for indeed everyone observes things differently.
    But, if you will, do understand that the thread itself is based on “the disintegration of the English language” so by supporting the idea that the questionable phrase in some way underscores our mutual language rather than as an enhancing agent is for me, debatable.

As a small addition, if one views the entire picture of one’s hatred for a specific part of our language as some form of arrogance and compares it to their braggadocio regarding their material wealth, there is indeed room for doubt as to the actual motivation for that dislike.

Jus sayin’

Joe Riley and Hal Pollner like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I am a firm believer in brevity of speech and prefer to make my point as simplistically as possible.

5. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Doesn’t it depend on the circumstance?
    Some writers such as Zane Grey would spend pages just describing a leaf blowing in the wind whilst others wouldn’t give the description more than, the tree had green leaves.

Joe Riley and Don Alaska like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Why, yes it is Hal and thank you. The English language is sort of like underwear. Some still prefer burlap and some like something a bit softer and smoother. I prefer the later.

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Shakespeare said it best,

"Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit,
    And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
    I will be brief."

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Ah, but shall we expose the real length of the paragraph:

“My liege, and madam, to expostulate what majesty should be, what duty is, why day is day, night night, and time is time, were nothing but to waste night, day and time. Therefore, since brevity is the soul of wit, and tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes, I will be brief. “

Now, the usage of a Shakespearean (Polonius) quote is rather counterproductive if one is using it to describe one’s desire to be brief.
    Also, would not using the example given serve to strengthen my case regarding the use of a kinder and more eloquent choice of words?

It is a given that one of it’s translations does indicate that knowledge might be served best if spoken in as few words as possible. But let us view another form of the translation whereby the word “wit” is meant to be humor and as we all know, something said in humor should indeed be brief or those listening will lose interest.

In short, having a good grasp of phrasing with a good vocabulary does not make one seem in the least bit haughty but like Shakespeare’s volumes, filled with respect and beauty of the written and spoken word.

Now, to your point though, if one listens to a few sentences spoken by someone akin to the Bowery Boys, yes, eloquence is lost and is indeed asinine.

Thomas Stearn and Joe Riley like this.
  10. Hal Pollner

Registered

Verily!
    H.P.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

You seem to be taking this personally. I'm simply stating MY style. I prefer to get my point across without having people's eyes gloss over.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Not at all. To be sure, I thought we were having a rather wonderful conversation.
    There are many times when I am a little wordy but as most can attest, I am extremely blunt so do not worry yourself as to whether I am or am not taking something as a personal offense of some sort. You would indeed know without any doubts.

Now, where was I.....oh.........If I may be so bold......TIGER WOODS WON THE MASTERS AGAIN !!! Woohoo.....!

Joe Riley and Frank Sanoica like this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bobby Cole
    Highly-accomplished golfer. Not so much in the adeptness of living a decent life, though. After the allegations claimed by his wife after their divorce, and the dislike expressed by his father, I stopped caring about the guy.
    Frank

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Hal Pollner

Registered

Jim Nash, let me congratulate you on being whom I believe to be the Eldest member of the Forum!

The older the member, the greater respect they get from me, even if I don't agree with them on many issues!

Your birth year of 1933 was the year of FDR's inauguration into what became four consecutive terms of US Presidency.

Hoping for many years ahead for you, Mr. Nash!

Sincerely,
    Hal Pollner

(Lauched in 1936)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Bobby Cole likes this.