Dish Tv

Discussion in 'In the News' started by K E Gordon, Jun 13, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know if anyone here has DISH TV but they failed to reach an agreement with the local CBS affiliate here and now we are not getting the station! Naturally, I was very interested in watching the Tony awards last night, something I never miss and it was not on! It is awful when satellite providers can't reach an agreement with a station, it is always the consumer who suffers.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just switched to Direct TV From AT&T Uverse . I still have the bundle with AT&T but I cut my bill from $185 to $117 a month for 24 months. It's the 200 package or whatever it's called on Direct TV plus for 3 months I have a few movies channels for free. Don't watch them though anyway.

I'm not fond of Direct but the saving was worth it. The $117 a month is for TV, Phone. And internet.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is exactly what we did, too, @Chrissy Page ! We signed up through Sam's Club; so we also got the $300 gift card from Sam's
    We are supposed to be getting another $100 gift card from AT&T, which they said might take a few months to receive.
    If it does not come soon, I will have to check with them and see. We took the most basic package that they have offered because the only thing we use the television for at all is for Bobby to watch Fox News.

K E Gordon and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I didn't get any money bonus but at least for 2 years it's not going up.

5. K E Gordon

Registered

Direct TV has some kind of promotion going with Costco too, and since I am a member there I will ask about it. I found out my Dish contract is valid until August 31 so I will wait until then to avoid a termination fee, but Thanks for that info about Sam's Club Yyvonne I will try to get that deal too. My big problem with Direct TV is that they want to jack up the bill all the time. I need some kind of guarantee from them that the price will not go up for awhile.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Mine better not go up...they told me 2 years. In my opinion they all go up after the first year, this just happened to be a 2 year deal.

I read that Direct TV goes out a lot, but aside from the installation day, I haven't had a problem.

The tech installed everything and was done by 9:00 AM, and I thought ..Great! All he had to do was connect me to their system and that's when it went down. He say around my house for 4 hours, then left at noon because he had another appt. it wasn't back up til about 7:00 PM, I was fit to be tied.

I'm still not used to the different numbers for the channels but I don't watch that many anyway.

I also don't like their guide on the remote. I like it all one color.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you know someone who has direcTV, you can use them as a referral and both of you will get an extra $10 per month off for the first year, @K E Gordon . Sam's offered a $300 GC by signing up there; plus we are supposed to get another $100 for switching from comcast to AT&T internet.
    We do have issues with the satellite going out during bad weather; but we live in a house with trees all around us, and I think that is probably part of the problem with signal.
    Thankfully, we had just bought that small antenna that Bobby put on the roof; so when we lose the TV signal from the satellite, then we jut switch over to the antenna.
    It only picks up local stations, and not cable ones; but when we are having bad storms, the local information is what we are wanting to hear anyway.

As for the bill, we are also locked in for 2 years, with some of the discounts for the first year, like the friend discount, and for auto-pay.
    However, the bill still seems to vary from month to month for some unknown reason. We don't rent movies, or do anything that should affect the bill, but something that they do does affect it.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I will be getting my first bill soon and who knows what it's going to be...I'm a little apprehensive about it.

I switched half way through the pay period so whatever my bill will be will most likely benefit them...it always does...if you call their explanations always include the word prorated. :)

I shouldn't have many weather related outages since it barely rains in the winter and the rest of the months it's pretty stable.

9. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Comcast takes channels away also. I wonder if it's to bully people into getting a higher tier.

Not reaching an agreement with a major station like CBS is ridiculous.

K E Gordon likes this.
  10. K E Gordon

Registered

Well of course the station affiliate WTVR and their owners are blaming Dish and Dish is blaming the station. I agree it is ridiculous. I have had satellite programming for years, and this is the first time a major station has been lost. I might complain to the FCC, or who ever regulates the providers maybe that will do some good. I did have a problem with Direct TV and the loss of Viacom stations years ago, and they made up for it with free Cinemax for a month. However, Dish has offered nothing but the choice of a free antenna...I don't think so! It wouldn't work out here in the boonies anyway.

11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

There are a few new systems that uses the internet instead of a dish to get all the TV. So if you have fast internet it might be an option

12. K E Gordon

Registered

That is not a possibility. Thanks for the suggestion, but I have limited bandwidth. I live in a rural area, and if I didn't I wouldn't be using these satellite providers in the first place. In order to get any kind of speed on your internet you have to use a satellite provider, it is expensive, and the bandwidth is limited as well, unles you pay even more money. One of the reasons, I want to move from here for sure...but yeah I would have Roku or a streaming stick in a heartbeat if I could! :):)

Martin Alonzo likes this.