Dinner Parties

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Cheryl Torrie, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Cheryl Torrie

Cheryl Torrie Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you still hold dinner parties? I used to love to have a few couples over for dinner, drinks and conversation but its been years since I have done it because its gotten to be quite expensive. Entertaining used to be so important to our friendships but when it became a keep up with the Jones thing I really backed off. I still wonder why the tradition of house parties has gone away. Did we truly mean for it to go from a pot of chili to steaks and shrimp? Why don't we take the time for conversation and laughter anymore?

2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

My grandparents used to tell about house parties during the depression era and before. Friends and relatives would gather at someone's house, move the furniture against the parlor or dining room walls, roll up the carpet, if there was one. Then, there was always someone who could play a fiddle, mouth organ or piano, and the dancing would begin. Usually, guests would bring a food item, like cookies, cake or sandwiches. Others would kick in for a barrel of beer. These parties would go on until dawn sometimes. Wish I could have been there then.:)

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My children still have dinner parties or just friends over for drinks and appetizers, but I don't, not since I've lived alone anyway.

I also know a few senior couples who do the dinner party thing, but they don't live near me so I'm not invited. :)

4. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I think society has changed, there is a lot more eating out and couples or groups of friends often get together in restaurants, plus a lot of working people don't have the time, energy or inclination to cook for a dinner party. A lot of people I know don't even cook that much for themselves.
    Lisa and I have a few while I am in Russia but they are only small ones with a couple of friends and not a lot of cooking.

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The Dinner Party Highlights w/Elysabeth Alfano: Bill Kurtis, Julia Sweeney & Chef Hickey

Cheryl Torrie and Ike Willis like this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The Holiday Dinner Party!

Terry Page and Ruby Begonia like this.
  7. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was married, we had small casual dinner parties maybe 3 or 4 times a year. These did not include grilling in the back yard which was done more often.

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When we were living in Metro Manila where our rented house was near to our friends, we usually hold dinner parties. It's actually a simple dinner with some drinks and friends are invited to partake. It is usually held on Saturday nights so the bonding can go on until midnight. Sometimes we cook barbecue in the backyard and that's really fun. However, when we moved in this house which is in the suburbs, friends are far and it's not good to invite them because aside from the distance, there's also the problem of heavy traffic even at night. Even for occasions, we seldom hold parties at home except for the neighbors. Traveling here is an ordeal.

9. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

This thread brings to mind a funny satirical stage play which was adapted for tv play on the BBC in 1977 .........."Abigail's Party" the dinner party from hell.

An excerpt

The TV version

Ike Willis likes this.