Diminished Physical Capacity In Seniors: How Much Of It Is Necessary?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't have a Y close enough @Bobby Cole.

Plus it's in areas of Fresno that I wouldn't go to comfortably.

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Cross You can probably find most of those fitness places near your home online and on their web page it will tell you what is offered like special exercise classes and what kind of equipment they have, etc. :)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just looked at one and it looks pretty good but it's the farthest one. :(

This one...

https://www.blastfitness.com/classes/

But is seems that I probably can't do all the classes they have because I see Silver Sneakers as separate...I'll have to go on person.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I need a "buddy" to go with as I do not like going by myself and my Honey is not at all interested in going to workout at a Health Club. Besides he never stops moving except when he is sleeping. :)

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It's gonna take a lot to motivate me also to go by myself and if it's too far then chances are even slimmer that I'll go.

I just want a treadmill...maybe Curves has them...I'll start there and work my way through all that they said I go to.

I stil have 2-3 PT sessions to finish first anyway.

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I would think most of them would have a tread mill @Chrissy Cross. For some reason I thought you had one of those. :)

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My insurance plan includes Silver Sneakers and one other program, but we don't have anything like that here. Instead, we have snow that we can shovel if we want exercise.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It seems that different fitness centers allow different things with the membership from Silver Sneakers or Silver and Fit. One lady had posted on Facebook that her gym membership was totally free, so the Silver Sneakers paid for everything.
    Here, we checked into the fitness center from the hospital because we wanted one where swimming was included. The first insurance company we had included Silver Sneakers, and they paid for the water/swimming part of the gym and not the weights and exercise equipment. The one we have now is Silver and Fit, and this one pays for the exercise equipment part, and not the swimming part.
    So, I think that it is important to check out the fitness centers you have available, see which ones have the options you want to use, and then make sure what all is covered.
    We pay an extra $15 (each) per month to use the full facilities, but it is worth it because I use the swimming pool, and Bobby uses the steam room and sauna, and it is still a lot cheaper than paying for the whole membership.
    If Silver Sneakers does not have what you want, then check about changing over to the Silver and Fit, because there may be different options for you.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

No, I have an elliptical in the garage and I hate it.

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just got this in the mail on Friday....I didn't ask about it or anything so not too sure what will be paid for except what they said in that flyer.

I'm not a pool person so I'm not looking for that.

I used to also go to GB gyms here and I paid $20 or $30 a month but didn't care for it....too many young hard bodies.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

You can walk the Appalachian Trail @Ken Anderson :)

I just watched a grueling documentary on something called the Barkley....running 100 miles without sleeping or stopping much.
    It's held in Tennessee every year...not too many complete it.

It's on Netflix

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barkley_Marathons

What's funny or not funny is that the originator of this marathon lights a cigarette to start the race.

He's also shown smoking throughout the documentary:)

He doesn't run though.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It actually hurt to watch it though....

Here's a description...it's not a flat course either.

IMG_1911.PNG

13. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith I'm curious...if Bobby wouldn't go with you to the Health center...would you still go by yourself? It's much more enjoyable when you have a buddy, etc to go with you to me.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

True, the time that I belonged to GB3 gyms here I went with my ex....quit going after he left.

Once I'm there I'm okay, it's just hard to go...maybe it is because I'm by myself.

15. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I seem to be the only one around completely won down to a nub. Physically I am a useless individual and in a game of do's and endeavors would score at the bottom of the lowest. I would hope my mental facilities are in better shape. Why I do Sudoku puzzles, read as I do, try to write often even if not alwayss coherent. Perhaps there is much that enters into us all being the person we are today at whatever age we now play on life's stage. How we managed or conducted our younger lives, how much we endeavored to maintain our fitness. As @Bobby Cole has said, there is much in the doing. I am barreling down on my 85th birthday, and often I feel used up. I have some helalth issues. Each night when I lay my head to pillow I know I might not awake the following morning but that could be said for each of us. Does heredity enter into the individual we have become? Do our genes play any part? I am not intelligent enough to answer some of these questions.
    I do what I do to survive in the best way I know how, just keep on keeping on.