Digestion 101

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Martin Alonzo, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The main way your body gets nutrition is through the digestion system a quick look at the digestion system is a long tube running through the body and the only way you can get nutrition it has to leave that tube and enter the body. The idea of you are what you eat is untrue it is what you absorb.

So let’s look at what goes on the first is in the mouth where you chew your food making it smaller pieces and adding a chemical called saliva ptyalin is an enzyme which breaks down carbohydrate into sugars molecules.

Next stop is the stomach which is basically a bag of Hydrochloric acid when the food enters the stomach there is a chemical call gastrin which is released and it calls the chief cells to produce more acid. A healthy stomach has a PH [the amount of acid or alkaline present] PH range is 1-14 1 being the most acid 14 the most alkaline the PH of the stomach should be 1.2- 1.5 at this PH it is sterile and virus bacteria and yeast will not grow.

Another chemical released is pepsin; pepsin along with hydrochloric acid changes everything you eat into a liquid call chime usually in half an hour.

This needs to work perfectly to digest correctly. What does the stomach need calcium for the chief cells and salt so the body can produce stomach acid.

Drinking sodas, using antacids, using acid pump inhibitors [calcium blockers] and even drinking alkaline water can interfere with this digestive process. Once this problem starts it cascades to greater problems.

When the chime leaves the stomach the pancreas puts bicarbonate soda into the small intestine to make it alkaline and enzymes which further break down the chime so the villi in the walls of the small intestine the villi move nutriments from inside the tube [intestine] into the blood. This is if everything works perfectly.

Some foods have phytates usually raw vegetables which bind to minerals and stop the villi from getting them. This is not to bad unless you make a steady diet of them

Gluten is found in wheat barley rye and oats but in oats it is called gliadin same horse different color.

For the people who have gluten intolerance which Mayo clinic says it is 30% and naturopath doctors say it is even more. Gluten destroys the villi in the small intestine making it difficult to impossible to absorb nutriments. Most people do not know they have this problem but if you have a multitude of medical problem, obese, have had asthma, chronic bronchitis, intestinal problems, appendicitis, and skin problems. This is something to consider.

The large intestine, this works is left to bacteria it is almost like the people in the garbage dump looking for something they can use. These bacteria are a very important part of your digestion and health.

It is surprising how important this is people are subjected to antibiotics in food and for disease management all the time these antibiotics not only kill bad bacteria but good ones as well destroying this last part of the digestion system.

The supplement industry has noticed an interest in probiotics use as people are starting to learn its important.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  2. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

I must say that digestion was the last thing in my interests list because it usually comes with a list of do's and don't to avoid digestive problems, when they only I wanted was to enjoy the food I like to enjoy, and to drink cola sodas insanely, as this is my vice.

However for the past year I have seen coming back and forth some stomach issues that, after reading this articles seems to be associated with the digestive process and the wrong things I have been doing all the time.

Even thought, it's probably time to contribute a little bit with digestion to make it easier ;)

3. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I learned when I was a teenager that I had to be very careful with what I eat to avoid stomach issues. More people should learn how their bodies work to avoid some of the physical and health problems that are suffered by many people, like drinking sodas and eating lots of salt and preserved foods.

Eating more fruit and vegetables can help to solve many physical problems.

4. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Hope this explained a few things your doctor did not know or tell you like acid reflux should be call lack of acid reflux.
    A farmer puts out a salt block [ mineral block] for his animals when they show signs of problems and the cows are not told they can have only a little. They take what they need so is a cow smarter than us no. A craving for salt is the body cry for minerals and the processed salt is not good enough get natural salt [sea salt, Himalayan salt, ect.] when it taste too salty you have too much.

5. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, actually there are two types of acid reflux. There is the one that the body has less acid and there fore shouldn't be given the medication that controls acid. Then there is the kind where someone has way too much acid and needs the medicaiton to control it. I know this because I have the latter. I have too much acid in my system so the medication helps me keep it regulated.

6. Martin Alonzo

Registered

You can not have to much acid it is an impossibility the acid in the stomach should be PH of 1.2-1.5 that is as strong as it can get. When the acid reaches this limit the valve at the top of the stomach closes and can not come back up. when the acid is weak the valve at the top of the stomach will stay open.. I know this is the opposite to what doctors say but doctors can not cure heart burn only treat the symptoms