Did You Have Any Asian Friends Before You Retired Or Now?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lon Tanner, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

The current news reports about violence directed against Asians disturbs me. Growing up in Oakland Ca, I had many Chinese friends and my senior prom date in high school was with Kathy Fong. I also had a number of close Japanese friends that were newly returned from WW2 Detention Camps. I am sorry to say that at this point in my life I have no Asian friends.

2. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

My county is like 99.7 percent white. I know Puerto Ricans, a few black folks, lot of polacks, many Italians, a whole truck load of conservative racist white assholes, but not a single Asian among them.

3. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes, plenty. As you may know, I spent my career in a public community college.

I had virtually every country represented at one time or another in my math classes. India, Chinese, Vietnamese, Iranians, Mexicans, Japanese, Brazilians, and a host of others.
    The only country that I think I did not have was a Russian, although my next door neighbor, now that I am retired, is a Russian, and a great person to have as a neighbor.

Most of the time, I got along well with those from other countries (sometimes better than I did Americans). No particular country is a favorite. Human nature is the same, no matter the culture. And, like you, I do not understand why anyone would want to attack someone who is from a different culture - it just doesn't make any sense at all.

Lon Tanner likes this.