Diaries And Personal Journals

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Teresita Campaner, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you keep a personal diary that tells how things are in your daily life? My journal is not about the recordings of my daily experiences but concerns about the ideas and notes of books i have read that i considered worthy of recording or taking notes of. The focus is typically outward and not primarily my every day happenings.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, never enjoyed writing at all. Still don't and usually keep my replies as short as possible. If something requires a long answer, I'll usually skip it.

Not everyone is a writer or a poet. Although some think they are:)

After my husband died I kept a journal for about a month and tired of it and I think that was my only time I ever wrote anything down except a shopping list or a to do list.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Because I wished I'd kept a diary of my years growing up, I decided to keep one a few years back
    Didn't work for me but I'd have loved to look back on years past, just to see how me little mind was thinking on things .........

4. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I want to start keeping a diary again. However, i would be disclosing my frustrations and concerns about my 17 year old. And I am not sure I want him to read it should he come across it one day.

5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have kept diaries and journals in the past. They can be a therapeutic tool, however, now I think I would just look at as another thing on the to do list. It might be helpful for self reflection, but I can hardly make myself keep a food diary, so I don't think I would want to invest much time doing journaling. I just wouldn't be into it. Maybe sometime I will.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not a writer either and I don't have a diary. But in my younger days, particularly when I was in high school, the diary is a craze. Considering that I was in an all-girls school, I was influenced to have a diary since everyone in the class has one. But I was not really that serious in logging the daily activities. It was just my way of going with the tide. At least I am not out of place when the topic is about diary. And in fairness to that craze, I continued having a diary until my college years.

7. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I also wish that I had written my thoughts over my life time if for no other reason than I wish my mother had. I wish I could remember many of the stories she told us as children. At the time they didn't seem important but now that she's gone I wish I had asked so many things she can't tell me now. I'm sure my children will have the same wish.

Diana Kristof and Patsy Faye like this.
  8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

I kept an animal journal trying to find many new species of other creatures we share with here in Hawaii. I found that I began to notice and be aware of more than I did before I wrote in the journal. I stopped the journal when there was nothing new to write about. I enjoyed keeping a journal about animals here on Oahu for it kept me in practice for my writing books.

Diana Kristof and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Diana Kristof

Diana Kristof Veteran Member
    Registered

I have kept a diary since I could write. Some of the diaries were forced because my mother wanted me to do it. So I would write things about what we did, or about my cat, just to fill the pages. But as I grew older I began to write more about what concerned me, interested me, my dreams, what I felt about my friends, crushes, surroundings, etc.

Now I write about some of those same things, but also a mix of what's happening in my life.

Sometimes looking back at old journals is discouraging and sad. Other times it makes me laugh. I sporadically wonder what the point is in keeping them, too. Usually I conclude that I should keep them. I think that the writing itself is, in the moment, a good way for me to calm myself, teach myself, make me grateful, or simply to vent, but that later, decades from now, these diaries may also be valuable to my family after I'm gone. If nothing else, perhaps entertaining for someone!

I need to write. I'm not happy when I don't. I probably have about 65 journals. I will probably not stop until I croak!

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I never had a diary but I purchased them because I liked the design on the cover. I would doodle in them or use for messages, mostly doodling. I did keep a journal for the short time my ex and I were in counseling not marriage counseling though. It didn't help anything either.