Dialing A Number

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, May 28, 2018.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In days gone by, we knew someone was eating too many happy meals when they walked around talking to themselves or someone who was only visible to them.
    Now, some that only seem as though their cheerios are soggy but in reality they have a slug looking gadget hanging out of their ear in which to communicate wirelessly to someone who is still invisible to any onlookers.

Maryt Hope likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I was just saying this to my husband the other day Bobby... we were in the Apple store and there was a lone youth standing next to us , and he was whooping and getting exited and exclaiming out loud , but not having a conversation at all with anyone ..so we thought he had tourettes, ..but then we realised he was talking into some miniature gadget through an earpiece which we couldn't see..

It's hard these days to tell the difference when walking along the road, between those with mental health problems talking to themselves and those who are talking into an invisible gadget..

Maryt Hope and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Well, I guess we might have to count me into that bunch of looney-lookers now, because I talk to no one while gazing at my wristwatch, and do it on a regular basis.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha...Ive gotten very used to people talking to nobody or so it seems...at first I would reply but Ive smartened up and just ignore them.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Actually, you don’t look bonkers at all but I have to admit that a Dick Tracy hat might add to the scene. Perhaps Santa might bring you one this year.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

We used to have a guy who acted like he had a cell phone but was actually talking to a rock that he was holding in his hand. Up and down the road he would walk whilst talking and to his rock.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I really don't care what kind of phone I use, what I miss is a real person answering on the other end of so many calls I make. :)

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Uh, someone slipped up and obviously did not inform you that with the exception of India, you and your family plus a smattering of individuals in the western world are the only humans left on earth. All the rest are actually robots.

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

:eek: Well I'm pretty sure everyone on this Forum is humans, and so far I'm sure I know more humans than robots so the robots are still in the minority in my life. :)

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL , well he probably got more sense out of it than the average teenager on FB

12. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

The rotary phone sends its pulses at the same rate as a phone with a digital keypad.

The rotary does not send its pulses when you turn the dial. It sends its pulses after you take your finger off the dial.

There is a governor inside the telephone that sends the pulses at the right intervals so the switching equipment in the exchange can route them between selectors properly.

When you pick up a telephone, you close a "line relay" that allows the "linerfinder" in the exchange to find and connect your line to the "primary selector."

When your line is found, the dial tone generator furnishes a tone that tells you that it's ready to accept dial pulses.

The first digit you dial pulses the primary selector to the right trunk group.

From there it is routed by following pulses (which you dial) to following selectors, which "narrow down", the line groups containing the line you want.

The final 2 digits are handled by the "Connector", which connects you to the number you dialed.

The connector also provides the "ring signal" to the dialed party.

This whole process is known as "step-by-step" which eliminates the Switchboard Operator.

I installed switching equipment in the Central Exchanges of General Telephone Company on the 1950's.

Harold

Last edited: May 29, 2018