Diabetic 2

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Are you, or know someone who is, a Diabetic 2?

Medication/medications taking for it?

Testing frequency, with a home meter?

Foods eaten? Foods stay away from?

Wife and I are both Diabetic 2 and just wonder how others handle being a Diabetic 2.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Husband was, but only on pills....he tried to follow a diabetic diet and did okay...I helped with that since I was the cook.

That's not what killed him ...it was colon cancer.

Ive always eaten healthy and only my grandmother was diabetic on my side of the family...hopefully I won't get it.

My weight is perfect even on the skinnier side sometimes.

3. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Metformin 2-1000mg tabs per day.
    Check each morning.
    Not too rigid, although I avoid the desserts and try to limit other sugars.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I can't remember the med my husband took, it's been 13 years. If I saw the name it might ring a bell.

My poor grandma was on the shots and for at least 30 years before she died. She couldn't find any place to jab herself anymore...that's my memory of her diabetes.

Also remember my grandfather always yelling at her for eating something sweet. She was a great cook and baker and everyone expected her to bake but not eat...:(

She was also overweight. Only one in the family who was.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I take two 1,000mg each Metformin daily (breakfast/supper), plus two
    5mg Glipizide daily ( 30 minutes before breakfast/supper). Didn't know it would, but taking a prescribed med for the whistling in my ear, really jacked up my glucose number to 230. Threw out what was left of the med. and my VA PCP put me on the extra 5m Glipizide. My number has come back down now, but some days it's still too high.

BTW, how new or old is your meter? Mine is almost 4 years old and I think I need a new one. What brand of Meter do you use?

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Glipizide sounds familiar.

7. Harry Havens

Registered

Accu-Check Aviva this year. Insurance no longer accepted the Aviva One Touch. The one touch was about 2 years old and just like the last one... the plastic cap was badly worn and would sometimes fall off.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We had a neighbor once that was a Diabetic 2. He was our age (60's) and absolutely hated it when his wife stopped baking all the Christmas goodies and other thing during the year. He worked part-time for his son and would stop at a store on the way home, buy a package of cookies and eat most of them in the parking lot before going into his apt..
    Next thing we knew he was constantly going to the hospital. A few months before we moved, he died. She told us "his lack of control with sweets ended up killing him."

9. Harry Havens

Registered

Also, almost every antibiotic drives up my readings for a couple of days and then comes back down. Doctor refuses to allow me some anti-biotics. Had ear problems almost all of last year and the meds weren't getting rid of it. Had tubes put in my ears.

It generally stays under 125, otherwise. It has fallen as low as 74 for no discernible reason. I can abide by all the dietary rules for several days and linger around 120, sometimes jumping as high as 145, then fall off the wagon and eat a piece of cake and have it fall below 100.

My oldest brother had juvenile diabetes. Faithfully took his insulin shots, monitored his glucose, yet still ended up with both legs amputated. Left was below the knee in 2000, which he adapted to, but the right was above the knee in late 2003. Before he could get the hang of that, a stroke partially disabled his left side. He was wheelchair bound after that.

Strokes got the best of him in 2006, just shy of his 71st birthday.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When I was first diagnosed, my glucose number was 308 and my wife was 300. We both take meds daily, but sometimes have a problem with sweets and enough exercise.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think the key is your diet! You need to find substitutions for when you have a graving. Once in a great while it won't hurt.

I'm not diabetic and I won't eat any sugary things or even bad carbs because I control my weight and my health better this way.

It has to become a way of life...dieting never works, you gain it back after you go off your diet unless you continue healthy eating.

You need to think of all the complications from diabetes when you go to put that no no in your mouth.

Exercise is my downfall but I do try to do something every day. I'd be better at it if I had someone to exercise or walk with. We walked a lot with my ex.

I'm not preaching to you....Ive had my binges. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We don't "binge", we just like eating and some of the things contain some grams of sugar. Yesterday, I had a bowl of strawberries, from a bowl that had some Splenda sprinkled on them. Those strawberries went on top of a desert shell (10 grams if sugar) and a little regular whipped cream. Last night, for supper at home, wife had a glass of champagne and a lasagna tv dinner that had sugar in the sauce. Before I started writing this reply, I had a Honey Corn Dog and some BBQ chips.
    For breakfast she likes a bowl of Great Grains cereal (13 grams sugar) and there are times during the week that I will have Mini Frosted Wheats (11 grams of sugar) for breakfast. It's generally a must that we have a margarita with a Mexican dinner at home or out.

We know about the complications from being a Diabetic 2 and try (really do "try") to eat right, but it doesn't always work. What can I say, wife absolutely loves my cooking and when we go out to eat..........we eat. If we go to Golden Corral Buffet on a Saturday night, most of the time "all bets are off" on what we eat.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Also, what I've found out: There are those that don't know they are diabetic's and don't want to know. There are those that know they are diabetic's and just plainly don't care.

If it weren't for my wife being a Diabetic 2, and needing the medication for that, she would hardly ever go to the doctor. That's the way she was before being diagnosed.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm not diabetic and I wouldn't eat lasagne or any of the things you mentioned but it's your life and you can eat what you want. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm one of those that would want to know if I was diabetic and if I was I would do everything I'm supposed to...too many negatives that can happen if you don't watch....neurothopy, blindness, etc.