Deployed Overseas, Again!

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 27, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My great-nephew Danny, in the Marine Corps, son of my older nephew Dan, who also joined the Corps., back in 1966, is being sent overseas for the 4th. time. We had all hoped two exposures to the horrors in Iraq, and one in Afghanistan, would have satisfied the powers that be. How we worried he might be killed or maimed during those first 3 excursions, I cannot begin to tell you.

He is currently stationed in North Carolina. Married the second time (he is now about 32) a year ago Christmas, he called today telling me not to worry, he looks forward to this excursion. Recently, he made rank a second time, he called it a "promotion", so we hope and pray that a guy having rank, much more valuable to the overall effort, might not be exposed to as great a danger as the poor "grunts".

He could not say exactly when he leaves, or returns, stating he will be "out of touch" during May. I should not have done it, but threw out the ridiculous question of "what if"? What if I keel over and croak while he's gone, he cannot find out for a month?? He laughed. Said I'm too tough an old bastard to do that.

Why is he so close to us? I think in part, it is because of the terrible impact upon him caused by his folks' divorce when he was 16, dropped out of high school, baked pizza a year or two, despondent, mixed up with a bad element of kids from school, while his Dad collapsed under the burden of his wife walking out 2 weeks before their 25th. anniversary; he had prepared a huge party. Dan, my nephew, Danny's father, came out to Phoenix (from Kansas) when that happened, and informed me. He and I had grown up during our early years almost as brothers, raised by my Mother. Mutual trust and respect between an uncle and nephew had never been more concretely-knit, I think. During that Phoenix visit, (Danny had accompanied his father), Danny seemed to somehow "meld" with me, a fact which seemed elusive as to cause or reason. I think that was in 1996. The kid was 15.

Danny must have acceded to his dad's impositions: GET your GED, join the Marine Corps. He did, and became a changed person, just as his Dad had, 30 years earlier.

What's the point, Grandma? Just juggling my present feelings around, hoping I may live until that kid gets out of the Corps (another 9 or 10 years), meanwhile, keeping guard over a certain amount of his "prized possessions" here in Arizona. Join me, please, with hopes this young man comes back safely....Frank

Diane Lane and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Frank, the real treasure that needs keeping, is Danny,himself. Trust that he is being kept by God, Himself!

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My daughter was also in the military, although she is out now due to medical issues, and she was supposed to be sent to Iraq back in the early 2001-2002, when the war was still going strong there. We were praying that she would not have to go, and just days before she was supposed to be shipped out, they changed her orders and her outfit was not sent.
    Now, she works for a contractor who works for the military, so she is still sent different places for her job. Last year she was sent to Afghanistan in February for a couple of weeks; but they kept her over there until almost Thanksgiving, over eight months over there.
    Every time there was an atack in Kabul, I was worried that she was one of the civilians that they announced had been killed.
    She finally started posting pictures of herself on Facebook after an attack , which she called "proof of life". We jokingly told her that she was supposed to be holding a newspaper so we could tell that it was a current picture ; but truthfully, I was always thankful to see her posts that she had made it though another attack safely.
    Just keep Danny in your prayers, @Frank Sanoica and trust in the Lord to protect him, like @Joe Riley said.

Diane Lane and Joe Riley like this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll keep him in my prayers, @Frank Sanoica, for whatever that's worth. I never question why some family members are closer than others. It's always been like that in my family and also in families of those I've been involved with. Some people just seem to have complementary personalities, interests, beliefs, etc., versus nothing in common with other family members. I haven't seen you posting about any extreme health issues, and your mind seems as sharp as any, so hopefully he's right, and you'll still be kicking around when he's finished with his service.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can't speak for everyone but, while parents and other loved ones may have different goals, those who choose to be in the military more often welcome these tours. Our daughter was in the army and, while we would be praying for her not to be sent into a dangerous area, she was lobbying her superiors for the opposite. As it was, after one tour in Bosnia, two tours in Afghanistan, and one in the United Arab Emirates, she died in her sleep on a beach in North Carolina after returning from the UAE.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

My cousin is in Afghanistan. He is one of the brave soldiers who has been serving our country overseas. This is his 4th tour of duty overseas and one that we are always wondering if he will come back safely. I have sympathy for all family members that are going through these types of issues. It is just one of the hazards of being in the military today.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

There will never be another great one like Johhny Cash. He was an American legend and someone that people have looked up to throughout the ages. He is just one of the original American institutions. He is just one of the people we have always looked up to and loved.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica, I'm sure Danny will be back in whole. But I have to admit that being a marine is not an ordinary job. It is, in fact, a risk in life and limb. I admire your closeness with your great nephew and probably he looks up to you as a second father (not a grandfather).

My own nephew is very close to me. Next month he will be stationed in the province. He works for an airline as a ground steward and he agreed to be relocated so he would be promoted into a supervisory position. But we don't feel much loss like what you are feeling with Danny because we can visit my nephew anytime we want.

Frank Sanoica and Diane Lane like this.