Deployed Military Questions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Frank Sanoica, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

How do those deployed overseas (such as my nephew, who is now incognito for 6 weeks in Korea, stationed in Okinawa) insure their cars? He has 3 left here in the states, unused, in storage, insured by local insuror, who told me he cannot insure overseas, nephew bought 2 vehicles in Okinawa, where he will be stationed for 3 years.

How do the deployed handle their stateside important mail? If forwarded overseas, everything must pass customs inspection (thanks a lot, Mr. Ashcroft!). Who would pay for forwarding?

If I want to mail my nephew anything at all, simple letter even, I must fill out a complicated customs form for every piece. Invariably, the USPS clerk bounces it back to me as incomplete or incorrect. When I was young, my grandma, as well as my mother, exchanged letters frequently with relatives in Europe, no questions asked.

2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica Most places that allow a military member to own a vehicle in a country
    they are stationed in, have ways for you to get local insurance.

After we passed the test and received our license to drive in the UK,
    we insured our car at the local base though a local company.

As far as mail goes, use the APO/FPO address and you can avoid the hassle
    of having your mail returned.

Here's a helpful website explaining how to mail to personnel stationed overseas.

https://support.shippingeasy.com/hc/en-us/articles/203085299-How-to-Format-Military-mail-addresses

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Tim Burr
    Thank you for the info! Our P.O. requires us to fill out the form below for every single item we send to my nephew's APO. It's time consuming, as well as confusing, and I wonder if it's really mandated by Customs. I hope it's legible:

[​IMG]

4. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Sending a package to someone deployed can be a hassle.

Here's another web site that can help with filling out the customs form:

https://blog.militaryfamily.org/201...-packages-how-do-i-fill-out-the-customs-form/

But on the plus side, the person receiving the package knows you went though some touble
    to sent it.

When I would deploy, the packages from home were some of the best memories I have.
    A box of treats to share with the gang or just some much needed items, can make your day!

Holidays, such as Christmas would be a tough one to be away from home.
    That package with your son's first attempt at decorating a cookie is priceless.

I am sure your nephew appreciates your efforts.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Cellphones have really changed things for the better for service people deployed. Our daughter was able to read to her children before they went to bed often, calling from Iraq.

My wife sent cookies to her daughter in Iraq regularly, I know, and they went through.

Tim Burr and Frank Sanoica like this.