Dear Deer And A Dream

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Tony Page, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Seeing the post about albino deer got me to thinking of my younger days.
    When I was about fourteen years old I had such a love for animals at that point in time I had raised rabbits, hamsters, mice, chameleons, and attempted to raise Birds, though unsuccessfully.
    I would read this book Animals of the World, it went from a to z each page had a different animal with a life like drawing of it and information on it.
    I became excitingly fascinated with two deer from Africa in the book. One was Dik Dik and the other was Royal Antelope, the tallest of the two is about 16 inches at the shoulder the other about 12 inches. I felt then and now these would make great pet. Then no bigger than a medium dog and would have to be hand raised to acclimate them to people. I wanted to start a herd. At the time I felt I could import them using Threflax (spelling?) the world's largest Pet Shop who also imported for Zoo's. After playing phone tag numerous government agencies I Finally Found Someone who was willing to help 14 year old with a dream.
    Unfortunately the news wasn't good because of hoof and mouth disease they were illegal in this country, unless they were held in quarantine for 3 months and under a Vets care and supervision. royla-antelope.jpg