Dealing With People At Work. And More

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Kitty Carmel, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been in a job mess. Quit my full time job of 6 1/2 years at the end of May. That building had a mold problem and I couldn't take it anymore. I'm not the only one who said this or left because of it.

The part time job was too much stress with the rural drive. Found a job in town. I'm going to submit on Monday to go part time starting in September. Jerks are everywhere but this place has a few extra including a "supervisor" who does nothing but is a master at looking busy. She already knows I don't like her and has retaliated against me. It angers me because I was forced to do PM supervisor for 4 months at my old job once and ran my ass off. It's not easy either and neither is being on the floor.

I'll stay part time for income. I don't think they will refuse since more than 1/3 of their staffing is registry. Also their call light system in front is so loud it's blowing my ears out. I've considered calling OSHA.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Feel for you Kitty - hope you get yerself sorted soon :)
    I know someone who's a master at looking busy too ! Irritating in the extreme !

3. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I know I don't get many responses to my complaining and that's fine. But I really don't want to go to work tomorrow but I will. I never know which of 4 sections I will work. Two weeks ago I received a bizarre and surreal report from the night shift LVN. It almost bordered on abusive. If I asked one question I got huffed at, he made faces and even got mad raising his voice at me. Also used a derogatory word about my work performance which is not true. I have no idea where I'll be working tomorrow. It's a very clique-y place.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I sympathise with you
    Detest cliques !

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry Kitty I've just seen this for the first time.

I absolutely feel for you, I was on a toxic job myself , and it made me ill...and I was the manager, but the people were horrible. Nasty, backstabbing and they'd invent stuff to go running to head office about just to watch the ''fun of the fallout''... grrrr!! Unfortunately it's not just in work situations this happens...but I'm sorry you have no choice but to remain in work, I was lucky to be able to afford to choose to leave and take early retirement

Just remember, they're not paying your bills, so don't let them force you out, and remember you have friends here when things get bad

Bobby Cole, Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Thank you @Holly Saunders and @Patsy Faye for your kind words. It's not easy and when things are such a clique like that, the clique will protect its self, so they can get by with things and they don't report one another. I could miss one thing and I'm in trouble. I'm glad to be only working two days a week but those five days are going by too fast!

Patsy Faye and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My last effort at confronting a back-stabbing devious co-worker happened after the tennis ball plant realized none of their Maintenance people were able to keep the machine I had designed and built running. They implemented 20 of them in my absence, after laying me off. Offered me my job back after a year away, I took it. Their "Master Mechanic", a guy who imagined himself King of the maintenance crew (despised by all, but enthroned by Management, inexplicably), "set me up" during one week-end shut-down. Normally, the plant runs 24/7. His devious exploit made impossible my completing an assigned task of installing an automated piece of equipment. The plant was affected by having to continue operating with several employees doing the "edge-dipping", instead of the new machine.

So disgusted by this was I, that immediately I went to the H.R. Manager and told him I quit. Flustered and flabbergasted, he told me I coudn't just quit. By coincidence, the Master Mechanic hasppened to be sitting in the H.R. office, within sight. Mgr. asked me why I was so upset. I pointed at the object of my hatred and said, "there it sits". Mgr. immediately called my boss, who was at home, telling him of this new crisis. I walked out the door.

They called me in on Monday, to settle matters, everyone thinking I woud reconsider. Despite first cajoling and wheedling, then threats, they quickly found I meant business. Walked out the last time.
    Frank

8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

It's frustrating and sad @Kitty Carmel to work in such surroundings especially when you know it affects your health. Although it makes it difficult somtimes moneywise, it was a good move to reduce your hours. I hope you are tolerating the two days well.

I agree with @Holly Saunders when she stated 'Just remember, they're not paying your bills, so don't let them force you out, and remember you have friends here when things get bad.'

9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It’s a wonderful thing indeed to spend one third or more of a day working somewhere in a good atmosphere and with people who are good team members. The problem is that it’s rare because there are generally one or more employees are pretty stuck on themselves and / or feel like they are irreplaceable.

When I am in my own element of expertise and there are personality and ego barriers that some may not cross, I am a “take command” kind of a person and I do take over. Even if I do not particularly like the place I am working, I can get pretty bull headed when it comes to people who decide that “the new guy” is a threat and try to bully me around. I’m an extremely assertive type of person which helps alleviate a lot of *would be* problems. Making friends is a good thing but getting the job done as efficiently and perfectly as possible is better.

My hat is off to you @Kitty Carmel just for putting yourself through what appears to be a greater grind than it’s supposed to be. I know it’s a hard thing especially because age has everything to do with job availability and sometimes it feels like it’s all about biting one’s tongue at this point in life.
    The thing is, the people you are talking about are people who probably think that they can learn nothing from you when in fact, you have a lot of toys in the old toy box they’ve probably never seen nor even heard of. Work ethics for one.
    Maybe it’s just time to put on the “ I’m not here to make friends” smiley face and show them what you’ve got! Behind that face, they’ll eventually find that there’s a lot going on and it’s all good stuff.

Kitty Carmel and Von Jones like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is a part of the reason why I preferred to work the graveyard shift. There were no office personnel around, and the only one we had over us was the supervisor, and graveyard shift supervisors usually just wanted things to go smoothly. This got even better, for me at least, when I became acting supervisor, a position I held for the last four years I was with Champion. I kept turning down a promotion to full supervisor because it would have actually meant less money and less job security. I don't think they were even looking for anyone to replace me.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In effect, you would be replacing you with the former you being hired because that you was going to be less expensive than the other you. Been there.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

They kept threatening to hire a supervisor to take that position if I turned it down, but they never did. I'm sure they could have found someone to take the promotion or, as they usually did, bring someone in from another bag plant. That's why I don't think they were looking. Mostly, I think they wanted to get me out of the union, since I was the chief shop steward and VP of our local.

As it was, I got 25 cents an hour more for working the graveyard shift and another 50 cents an hour for being acting supervisor. Plus a bunch of overtime pay. As a supervisor, my regular salary would be larger but I wouldn't be paid overtime, so I'd be taking home less money.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson At Dana Corp. upon my return there after a 6-year absence, I was Facilities Engineer with an oil seal manufacturing plant having 350 employees. Second in charge essentially, I reported to the Plant Manager. As I was "getting my feet wet", I learned that the plant shut down after 2nd. shift on Fridays (11:00PM), and re-started Sunday night at 9:00PM, at which time the night foreman unlocked the plant to allow two maintenance men to enter, to fire-up the boilers; two hours later, the regular work crew arrived for midnight shift.

The foreman upon unlocking the plant, immediatey went to sleep in his office! I was there to see it. Taked to the two guys who always started up about giving them a key to the employee entrance door; they liked the idea, thought it ridiculous that the co. paid a salaried foreman to sleep. Broached the idea to my boss; he exploded! What, give those "gorillas" access to the plant? NEVER!

I called the Division Vice President in Chicago, who informally was my real boss; he said give them a key. I did. This of course began efforts by the plant mgr. to discredit me whenever possible, but he was only digging his own grave...........
    Frank

14. Ken Anderson

That's probably why Champion kept me on as acting supervisor. Rather than paying a salaried supervisor to supervise 8-10 people, they had someone who would also keep the machines running. Other than to log reports, I never went in the supervisor's office.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Thanks everyone for your replies. I got through another horrible two days. I'm not sure how much more I'll endure although with my Covered California. I may not be able to work the last couple months of the year because I'll go over my stated limit which sets my health care premium. I had already discussed this with my boss. Then perhaps it would be time to find something else for next year.

We had 4 desk nurses working Saturday. 4! Lots of talking, laughing, cell phone use and one refusing to go into a patients room due to the isolation precautions to have them sign their admission papers. I've worked with this individual before. I was told she was out in the hall on her cell phone at my last job when the rest of us were in the room doing CPR on her patient who had coded. She wasn't needed but really?

I'm not sure how people get by with what they do. We have a weekend treatment nurse the last two weeks and I have alert and oriented patients telling me their treatments are not getting done. When we don't have one on the weekend I do the treatments at the end of my shift (putting in overtime) after 3 and let them know "it'll be late, but I'll be there I promise" and these same people are telling me others aren't doing them. I'm just sick. I did one yesterday for a lady to assure it got done. I wish some of these people would complain to administration but they don't.

Bobby Cole likes this.