Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Hal Pollner, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Mary, there are just those, in this forum and not, that simply don't like our federal government. However, not wife and I. We try to stay in the middle of opinions........neither good or bad.

2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I’m staying on standard time because I can. I have no job to go to and if I have an appointment I leave an hour early and get there on their time. I go to bed early out of habit from once having to go to work, and more light in the evening with DST means more noise outside by kids etc.

3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I’d like to leave it one way or the other.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Next weekend we change back from Daylight Savings Time to regular Standard Time again. I think that most of us wish that they would just pick one or the other and leave it alone.
    Evidently, AOC wants to add that extra hour of sunshine to the day, but still thinks we need to repeal the daylight savings time, which is what gives us that extra hour in the afternoon.
    (This is actually satire, but funny anyway)

ED08BD7D-B588-4CB6-BD4C-E9958A618AE3.jpeg

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

lord-of-the-rings-daylight-savings-meme.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have read many articles, how harmful Daylight Savings time is to our health. But today read article sates doin away with DST would really do us in health wise. . :eek:. I am going to take my chances and stop watching the clock.:)

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Anyone who has an outdoor job is gonna be exposed to the limited range of Vitamin D producing daylight hours irrespective of this one hour shift. Most everyone else is indoors working under fluorescent lighting. All of us can supplement as needed or as desired.

Don Alaska likes this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I have one less clock to watch. Over the years as awards, I was always given a clock it seems. Last evening I hurt my shoulder reaching up to get one down. It was still running after it sailed across the room hitting the brick fireplace, so I put it in a bag and threw it on the garage floor and stomped on it several times, and then filed it in old-lidded green waiting for its final landfill resting place. I think I will eliminate all clocks that have to be reset.

Maybe I will just pack up my toys and move to Arizona ranch country.

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

-My watch and phone automatically reset.
    -My Goodwill clock radio has a DST switch that adjusts the time Forward/Backwards by an hour.
    -That leaves my stove (why would a stove allow you to set an On/Off time?), my microwave, the coffee maker, and a weather station I just bought...all digital.

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Actually, with the possible exception of doctor’s appointments, we who are of the retired clique can wake up and go to bed when we derned well please.
    Even with the doctor’s appointments, judging from how long one must sit in the waiting room past our appointments, it’s obvious they’re not watching a clock either.

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Are you really asking about setting the on/off time on your stove or are you just teasing us, @John Brunner ? Stoves have had that option for as long as I can remember .
    I used to need to get up at 4am to get the turkey cooking for Thanksgiving, because we always had a big turkey back when the kids were teenagers.
    When I had a stove with the timer, I would just set the clock timer to start at 4am, put the turkey in the oven the night before , and at 4am, the timer turned on the oven for me, and I could snooze a little longer.

Now, I use one of those turkey roasters, so I would still have to get up early if I am cooking a large turkey. Fortunately, Mr. Bobby always gets up really early every day, so he can start the turkey when necessary now.
    Mostly, we just make a stuffed chicken instead so we do not have so many leftovers to eat.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
    Don Alaska, John Brunner and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Stuffed, with stove top dressing, game hen is what I have had for the last several Thanksgivings. I always have several invitations, but it is easier to stay home and eat on my schedule and not have all the cleanup work. I have never left a Thanksgiving dinner, including volunteering at community and church dinners without helping clean up. Besides being raised that way, I just can't sit and enjoy visiting with overstuffed folks with dishes piled high.