Day Out Yesterday

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Kate Ellery, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Hey @John Brunner

Here is a photo of the pudding rock I mentioned a few days ago thats found in the beaches as well as in the land away from the water.

We had plenty of it when the concrete foundations were dug for our home and the septic system .
    I’ve only taken locals word for it that it’s volcanic rock mixed with the limestone

0E5961FB-1B69-4335-976C-76AD018F2B6A.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
  2. Kate Ellery

Registered

Took all these photos this morning while out walking at 7.30 am …it’s only 8.30 am now and we did 4.1 Km walk
    Opps cause they are all taken with my phone they are showing up sideways …I’m going to have a cuppa before I fix them …be back latter

3. Kate Ellery

Registered

Part of crumbled cliff at beach

F7510353-666C-4E79-BB2F-7A00C509D626.jpeg

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I found this map showing that Australia contains all known rock types:

[​IMG]

Notice how the peninsula is different from the surrounding areas. I found references to "Australia's southern limestone coast" as being some type of recognized feature, so it sounds as though the locals are correct. Fascinating stuff.

Louise Miller and Kate Ellery like this.
  5. Kate Ellery

Registered

I will post more photos I took this morning latter for anyone who likes info about Australia

The whole area has a fascinating history …. Copper miners dug trenches in THAT rock 6 Km ..by hand to get water
    to the mines ….then after they dug the trenches they broke the rock into slithers to line the water trenches.

They are still clearly visible at the old mine sites today as well as some remains at beach where we walk of the foundations for the pumps that were used to pump water 6 Km away
    The mining ceased 100 years ago.
    I have allot of family history here that I was NOT
    aware of until I moved here in 2006 ..when the mining ceased here many fled to NSW to get work ….. my GG grandfather died in a train at 52 in his way to the town where I was born.
    In NSW

Shirley Martin and John Brunner like this.
  6. Kate Ellery

Registered

I’m up the top part where the green is on the peninsula
    @John Brunner
    Notice the little island on the bottom of the map .. ( by Yorke Pen ) that’s Kangaroo Island SA … but it doesn’t have any kangaroos
    or foxes that were introduced to our country by the English settlers
    It’s only a short trip from mainland in Adelaide to get to the island however my hubby has never been there and he was born raised in SA

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  7. John Brunner

Quite a few states here have a similar history. In my county, there's a town called Mineral. We have Goldmine Road and a bunch of others. I've been to a county in the mountainous region here, and everything there is an homage to their defunct coal mining industry, including railroad museums. Lots of states have a similar history, with some active mining still going on. And there's lots of family history tied to them...they did not all follow jobs elsewhere.

A friend of mine's family inherited some land in West Virginia, which has a long history of mining various rocks & minerals. There are two parallel deeding systems in place in that state: one for the land, and another for the mining rights underneath, should the property owner choose to sell the mining rights. Compounding that are the various estates some of the property has passed down through in jurisdictions where record keeping and clean transfers were not consistent over the years.

8. John Brunner

I found this about Kangaroo Island: The native population of Aboriginal Australians that once occupied the island disappeared from the archaeological record sometime after the land became an island following the rising sea levels associated with the Last Glacial Period around 10,000 years ago.

The receding glaciers opened up North America to the first humans at the same time (although there is some current debate that humans may have arrived earlier.)

Kate Ellery likes this.
  9. Kate Ellery

Registered

Yep ..we recently watched a film on Netflix about the first settlers it was shocking how the Indigenous people were murdered by poisoning them and marching them over cliffs, it was based on NSW Macquarie river / area

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macquarie_River

John Brunner likes this.
  10. John Brunner

Yeh, history is not always rarely nice.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  11. Kate Ellery

Registered

Close up photo of rocks in-the cliffs

A63972F5-F3E8-416D-901C-B3C921298EA0.jpeg

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Nor accurate.

14. John Brunner

@Kate Ellery I have a question regarding time zones in Australia.

One website puts Sydney at exactly 16 hours ahead of Virginia.
    So 4PM here is 8AM tomorrow in Sydney.

That same website puts Adelaide at 15 1/2 hours ahead of Virginia.
    So 4PM here is 7:30AM tomorrow in Adelaide.
    I've never seen time zones split in half hours. Is this accurate, or is the website I looked at goofy?

15. Kate Ellery

Registered

It can be confusing especially so in Summer due to daylight savings time @John Brunner .

I’ve mentioned before the area of the NSW/ QLD border is the most confusing place I’ve been Summer …..

Depending on what side of the street you are on ….it’s an hours difference in time ….
    but only in summer ….odd to say the least :eek:

The QLD side ( the surfing beaches) is called Coolangatta ….and the NSW side is Tweed Heads
    I’ll look up a couple of photos to show you where I mean …the boundary runs right through the middle of a huge roundabout
    Daylight savings ( now ) remember it’s summer in Aussie land …starts the first Sunday in Oct and runs until Easter

Copied this save me writing it
    In Australia, Daylight saving is observed in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, the Australian Capital Territory and Norfolk Island. Daylight saving is not observed in Queensland, the Northern Territory, Western Australia, Christmas Island or the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.

John Brunner likes this.