Day Out Yesterday

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Kate Ellery, Aug 15, 2022.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I believe at some point you mentioned Mr.Ellery using a jackhammer so you could plant trees. I've not hunted fossils in rock like that. From what little I've just read, the limestone you have may be precipitated out of the ocean, so it would not contain fossils. Other types of sedimentary limestone might.

Being coastal on one side and mountainous on the other, Virginia is made up of five geologic regions: the Coastal Plain (tidewater), the Piedmont, the Blue Ridge Mountains, the Valley and Ridge, and the Appalachian Plateau. Each region is distinct. It's quite the variety in a pretty short distance.

Shirley Martin and Kate Ellery like this.
  2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes you are correct @John Brunner about hubby digging holes with a jackhammer so I could plant fruit trees
    Those trees are currently loaded with green fruit ..that should be fairly close to ripe ,but due to the cold weather it’s delayed the growth of the trees and fruit

Shirley Martin and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

Heck, you have a 2 hour drive before you're on the mainland!

4. Kate Ellery

Registered

We are 2 hours drive from the city ( Adelaide )

5. John Brunner

And I learned a new word from your map: "bight."

6. Kate Ellery

Registered

That is a beautiful area with huge cliffs , ( no beaches near cliffs ) we traveled though that area twice while on our way the Perth, western Aust which is about a 4 days drive from SA .

The only time I’ve seen whales is across the great Aust bight ….think you’d find this interesting reading
    https://www.australia.com/en/trips-and-itineraries/perth-and-surrounds/crossing-the-nullarbor.html
    It’s a very isolated area so you have to make sure you fill up with food and fuel cause it’s a long way between petrol stations

7. John Brunner

How in the heck does one transport enough petrol for a 1,256km trip??? Any vehicle large enough to carry the gas is gonna guzzle that much more! It looks beautiful, but there must be frequent stories of lost souls...or stories of Petrol Gone Wrong. Are you saying you've made that drive??? And to see whales...you gotta post pics (or are they old school film?)

According to the web, the longest stretch of highway without petrol in the continental United States is about 240km. Even in the least economical vehicle, that's still under 1/2 tank.

8. Kate Ellery

Registered

That’s only the distance to the cliffs …. @John Brunner there are a few petrol stations / road houses along the way
    When we traveled across the NP we had a car that was in Gas .,nah not petrol ….but it also ran on petrol but they didn’t have any gas at one of the stops ….it was when both petrol and gas was cheaper in 2005
    Yes I have photos Hubby put on my old clunky lap top so I will find photos latter , we had a new camera at the time it cost $700 one of the very first digital cameras that fitted in your pocket ….it had a whopping 4 g :p storage.. ( still have it ) but it’s my phone that gets used for photos now days

Adelaide to Perth

9A6A2293-57D5-4268-9F59-5AE35171F675.jpeg

9. John Brunner

So you need to educate me here, please. I was flippantly using the terms "petrol" and "gas" interchangeably based on the British cars I've owned. There's a difference?

Regarding cameras...I recall when they first came out, they were something around 1 megapixel resolution and cost a lot of money. Now you can buy a 16 megapixel for $50, or as you said,we got our phones. Amazing stuff.

10. Kate Ellery

Registered

Petrol is petrol….. and Gas is gas …..like the stuff you use to keep warm or cook your food

its NOT petrol :):D

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

NOW I understand. We have natural gas (piped into our homes through an underground supply system),
    liquid petroleum ("lp" for short, also referred to as lp gas, delivered by a truck and pumped into storage tanks of various sizes), and gasoline (we call it "gas") which is the same as "petrol." We buy petrol at gas stations, which used to be referred to as service stations back when they pumped gas, washed windshields, etc.

Since we're discussing the expansiveness of Australia and some of your trips, I'm gonna repost this pic I did a while ago to refresh our frame of reference:

[​IMG]
    Current population stats:
    -Australia...............26,000,000
    -United States......330,000,000

New York City has 1/3 the number of people as the entire continent of Australia (8,800,000)

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

:D sigpic76139_7.jpg

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

That's an imaginary number; doesn't include the 20 million illegals lurking about.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

¡Dios mio!