Daughter Broke Her Hip

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Arlene Wheeler, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Arlene Wheeler

Arlene Wheeler Well-Known Member
    Registered

My daughter is overweight and is recovering from a broken hip and leg. She is in a very large cast because she was at-risk for ill effects if they had operated.

Does anyone have hints for recovery from a serious break or time spent in a cast?

I've had a few broken bones of my own over the years but any other experiences would be appreciated. Thank you

2. Arlene Wheeler

Registered

3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh my goodness, the poor girl! I can't think of any suggestions but I will keep her in my thoughts. I hope she gets out of that contraction as soon as possible.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, that looks really uncomfortable. Sorry I can't offer any help; I have never had a broken bone. Welcome to the forum.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

A hip is among the most serious breaks that someone can get. Recovery is apt to take a long time. Fortunately, your daughter is relatively young, as compared to most of us in here, so she probably will recover, while many seniors never do recover from a hip injury. In fact, the nature of the injury often differs in seniors. While young people may fall and injure their hip, seniors more often injure their hip, then fall.

6. Arlene Wheeler

Registered

Thank you for welcoming me and your responses and kind words.

Mary, it's actually all one big cast covering her whole right leg, part of her hip and her torso up to her ribs

Beth, thanks and yes, she's very uncomfortable and it's been hard for her and she needs a lot of help

Ken, it was a very serious break, her femur, femur head and part of her pelvis that holds it in place so they had to immobilize everything for at least 12 weeks to start

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Arlene Wheeler, hopefully, your daughter will have a full recovery from it. Welcome to the forum, by the way. I hope you'll like it here.

8. Arlene Wheeler

Registered

Thank you, Ken. I like it so far. It seems like a nice outlet for people to keep in touch and help each other

My daughter is expected to make a full recovery but it will take mints in casts and other treatment before physical therapy

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome to SoC, @Arlene Wheeler . I don't have any words of advice but your daughter has my sympathy. Poor Dear! How did she break her hip and leg?

10. Arlene Wheeler

Registered

Thanks @Shirley Martin she likes motorcycles and stumbled when she got off of one at a show and it fell on her and pinned her leg under and broke her hip and thighbone

@Mary Robi and @Beth Gallagher I'll let let know that my new friends are thinking of her

11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello Arlene and welcome - so sorry to hear of your daughter's plight, looks like it will be a long road to recovery
    Wishing each week will become easier for her and your good self :)

@Arlene Wheeler

12. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome Arlene and I am sorry to see your daughter in such a mess.. The only word I have is .......... WOW !!!!

Not that it a consolation to the problem, but I have had both hips replaced and I walk and function very well..

13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

OUCH!! OUCH!!! That poor girl, all for the love of her motorbikes....

How long are they expecting she'll have to wear that body cast? Bless her she's looking very stoical..how old is she?..

Welcome to the forum Arlene... from London England, tell her she's got friends from several countries wishing her well now... :D

14. Arlene Wheeler

Registered

@Holly Saunders thank you, she just turned 31. She'll need to be immobilized for at least 12 weeks, but changing the cast every 4-6 weeks for hygiene is typical

Calling it a body cast reminds me of the plaster of Paris behemoths from back in the day. I remember some really big casts people had to wear for scoliosis, spinal injuries and the like back in the 60's and 70's anyone else remember those?

15. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum, Arlene. Looking at those pictures makes me wonder why the doctors thought she was a risk for surgery due to obesity? She does not appear to be morbidly obese, so, my question is this; does she have other health issues which would put her in a serious risk zone?

Micki Pembroke and Yvonne Smith like this.