Daily Schedule During Retirement Days

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Laura Jones, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Laura Jones

Laura Jones Well-Known Member
    Registered

If you are anything like me my previous work and home schedule was hectic and I could barely keep two thoughts running together with the responsibilities that were necessary to have a profession and run a home. Now that I am retired (it’s been 3 years), I’m finally willing to consider a possible schedule for my retirement days. For those first three years I didn’t even want to consider the possibility of a schedule but wanted to do things spur of the moment as I had never had the opportunity to do that when I was working and raising a family. So I would like to hear from you all, does anyone have a daily retirement schedule and if you do what is it?

This is what I have so far keeping in mind that I can change this at any time and I’m totally flexible with nothing cast in stone……

I tidy my house when I first get up, making beds picking up around the house, etc then I’ll have coffee time with my husband, I then read my Bible and hydrate myself to ensure I’m getting enough fluids for my health then it’s breakfast time….next exercise time which could be biking, walking, or swimming depending on my mood and the weather, then I relax and read or surf the web, next lunchtime and after I’ll usually watch a movie or rest and when I wake up or get done watching my movie I’ll go out and about shopping or to the library or community project or visiting then come home do some chores around the house then have some happy hour with hubby and dinner…..and some kind of evening activity which I’m still trying to work out and then I go to bed.

This is still a work in progress so maybe I’ll get some ideas from you all. It sounds rigid but it really isn’t as at anytime I can throw this all out the window on a whim which I frequently do but I have discovered that having a schedule to a degree gives me a more positive mindset then if I didn’t have one, I’d like to have your thoughts on this and if you want to share your schedule as well! :)

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I do not have on purpose a set daily routine, but it just happens out that way, most of the time. I like to get up between 6-6:30 am, but there are times i am up way too early. Sometimes, I do wait until much later in the day to make bed, put up dishes things like that. I just go with the flow I guess.

Faye Fox, Ed Wilson and Laura Jones like this.
  3. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

No schedules for me. I retired to get away from schedules and I've done a darned good job of it.

Laura Jones and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Once in a while, I will have an appointment for one thing or another in the morning but, for the most part, I go to bed when I'm tired and get up when I'm no longer tired.

5. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I get up between 5am and 8:30am go to bed between 10 pm and midnight

Laura Jones likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Do, pretty much that is, have a set schedule for doing laundry, changing bed linens and running our iRobot Roomba vacuum. Still, due to my wife's "at home" job, get to bed around 10PM and up by 6:30AM or a little before.

Most of my employment years was getting up at 5:30/6AM to be at work at 7AM and be in bed by 10PM. During my high school farming years, I was up at 5:30AM to feed/water hogs (no matter what the weather was). During my years in the Navy, my "hitting my rack at 10PM" and "getting up to morning Reveille Call" at 6AM was very, very normal.

Laura Jones likes this.
  7. Al Amoling

Registered

Geez I didn't realize I had to detail my entire life's schedule.. I thought it was the retirement years.

8. Samual Yoder

Samual Yoder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My daily schedule is pretty simple, get up, pray, eat, watch movies, eat again, drink a lot of coffee, pray, go to bed, keep repeating daily. Oh and if my son wants me to do something my answer is always, "go away quit bothering me".

Laura Jones and Al Amoling like this.
  9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

:D:D:D

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh just lighten up Alfred, we were spared the stories of name-brand western wear, pancake houses, and the aroma of stockyards, and while these topics were more retirement appropriate, I am not sure I can handle one more reading of eating pancakes under the shadow of a George Strait hat while the smell of bovine feces overpowers the chemical smell of fake maple syrup.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

But, Faye, we like the aroma of a stockyards and wearing brand name western wear! LOL
    And, on top of that, George will have two concerts at T-Mobile Arena Vegas during the NFR and Reba w/Brooks & Dunn has seven lined up at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace during the NFR. Would love to see Terry Clark, but we'll be back home by then.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Al Amoling

Registered

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

You see @Al Amoling how my cowgirl finesse gets a "Rocky Mountain drifter" back on the SOC retirement topic trail. :D

Al Amoling likes this.
  14. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

After a lifetime of living by the clock with school and work, perhaps it’s so ingrained in us now that we need that schedule. I may just start setting the alarm like in the old days just to see what it’s like.

15. Al Amoling

Registered