Daily Poll

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Mal Campbell, Apr 23, 2015.

?

Have you ever received a chain letter?

1. Yes, but I threw it in the trash

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. Yes, I sent in the money

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Yes, I even made money from one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. What's a chain letter?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

Chain letters were big back in the '70s. You know, you got a letter in the mail, that said you could make thousands of $ if you sent $5 to the sender of the letter, then sent the letter out to 20 of your friends. The original pyramid scheme. So did you ever get one, and did you send the money or make money from one?

2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I remember receiving those letters. This was one of the many 'Get Rich Quick' schemes that required you to send some money to two people named in the letter, and then you were supposed to recieve hundreds or thousands of letters containing cash.

What actually happened was that anyone adding their own name and address to those letter would end up on mailing lists that were sold on to people involved in 'home business opportunities' and so they just ended up receiving thousands of similar offers and no money.

3. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I did receive one years ago. ButI didn't buy into it I threw it away the minute I got it. Guess what nothing ever happened to me, I didn't get any bad luck for breaking the so called chain. As you pointed out this was the original pyramid scheme now the chain letter is no more and the pyramid scheme has graduated to the Internet apparently.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

o_OChain letters are so silly. I believe in my life I got about 3 chain letters all from strangers. Don't know how they got my address, probably from the telephone book I suppose. I always throw them away and I don't like getting chain letters either.