Daffodils?

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Von Jones, May 14, 2016.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

When I planted my daffodils it was to welcome Spring. They were the first color of the season that brightened up my backyard and the other gardens would follow. I noticed the second year that they were not as tall, the blooms were smaller and the leaves were like straws. Well my daffodils have not bloomed in two years. All I have seen are the leaves. I have no idea why. Do daffodils go dormant, I wonder, probably, but I'm done waiting for them to come out of dormancy. I have decided to dig them up and put all 12 of them in containers.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am trying to remember; but I don't think that my daffodils blossomed this year either. I only have a few of them, and keep intending to set out more bulbs because I love the early color that they bring. The hyacinth bloomed , I remember seeing and smelling that awesome fragrance; but I don't think the daffodils bloomed at all, so maybe it was jut something to do with how the winter went this year, or when spring arrived, and not your daffodils specifically, @Von Jones .
    I had planted a few along the curb by the street, interspersed with the irises, which came up delightfully, and I am not sure that even the leaves showed up this year. maybe mine all died. I will go and look and see if i can see any of the plants out there at all.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

So I'm not the only one who has experienced this. I thought the weather might have something to do with it. There were some unusual warm spells before Spring and then we had a couple of Arctic blasts come through. The daffodils were my first garden venture and after the first year of blooming I so looked forward to the next Spring to see them again.

I have a few hyacinths too but again only one bloomed and the leaves on the others. I might dig those up and put them in containers too.

4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I planted daffodils one time, and there is only one that comes up, all by itself. It must be lonely. I planted some impatiens this year, and yesterday they had a really good price on hanging baskets at Kroger so I got one. I believe they are petunias. I hung them on a hook that is in the yard for just such occassions. They look nice out there and give the area a splash of color.

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm going to tack a question about daffodils onto this thread, rather than start a new one.

Today I dug up some bulbs that got moved near a gate by accident when I was shoveling dirt around. There couldn't have been many at the time, or I would have noticed them. There were almost 50 bulbs down there!

daffodils2018.jpg

About half are large, and the rest very small, less than an inch diameter. What should I do with them? Store them until winter? How? Will the small ones survive?

This is how they looked 2 years ago. Only 4 bloomed. I forget how many bloomed this spring. About the same, I think.

daffs21217b.gif

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Nancy Hart , can you replant them? I would replant them where you want them to be with plenty of bone meal or phosphate rock, as bulbs and tubers that produce blooms require phosphorus to bloom.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds good. Thanks, Don. ... I live in Georgia, hot and humid, warm winters, in case that makes a difference.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You might want to wait until the weather cools a bit so they don't get a lot of growth before winter. Keep the bulbs cool, and perhaps plant them in October.

Nancy Hart likes this.