Cyber Attacks -- Live Map

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Okay... I had no idea that providing a link to a website that has existed since the 90's would be so controversial, I linked it because it is a valuable tool that can be used by people to make a determination why some craziness might be happening with internet connections. Back in the day as the internet was growing it was incredibly unstable and anything from a weather issue to a local power outage could effect your ability (in a totally different state) to receive email, surf the web etc. The reason being a portion of the information superhighway was jammed. The actual site just measures the volume of information packets flowing through internet hubs, similar to if you could envision, the volume of people walking thru Grand Central station, or blood passing a certain point in your body. I have always found this valuable through the years, because when your paying a bill or trying to stream something, or just accessing a site, it is good to know if there might be something transient happening that is causing a problem, as opposed to something with your own system. You know then to simply try again later.

@Diane Lane when I look at the site I do see the logo on the top right, quite frankly my eyesight is not that great anymore and I at first just disregarded it as a part of the corporate logo, but with my glasses on I see it is indeed a link. When I click on it- it takes me to the software company, no error messages. This is the actual URL for the corporate site http://www.analogx.com/ It is a legitimate software company.

Diane if you cannot log onto this site directly by typing the URL in and still are having problems with your computer my suggestion is you get a virus scan of some sort. It is possible your system has been compromised or something else is going on. A 403 Error can result from several different things, for example you may have a cache version of the site in your temp files, or a cookie could be causing a conflict. Just Google the term "403 Error" and you will find tons of information on what it is and why it happens. Bottom line is the error results from the way your IP is communicating with that domain.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was looking at the Norse website, I noticed that the company information says that Norse Corporation is also located in St. Louis. Sincee they are such a hi-tech security provider, that might explain why so many of the attacks are going to St. Louis as well. I can certainly understand that a hacker would want to get into the Norse system and cause problems.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Jenn Windey Jenn, that's not where I clicked. I was clicking under FAQ where it said to click for more information, and that's where I got the error message. Maybe they just need to update their page so the link goes through.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That's interesting. I wonder why that is. I'm sure it would be helpful to know where the attacks came from, whether it's city & state, or actual company or residential address. I'm sure some are probably people thinking they're cool because they can harm others, but some could be significant.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I think that what we will find, over time, is that the targets will change. Right now it might be St. Louis, but in a few weeks it might be Seattle, Tampa, or somewhere else.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

The Norse Corp cyberattack map is down for some reason. I don't know if that is a temporary thing or permanent, but here's another one, this one from Fortinet.

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ironically, perhaps the Norse cyberattack map was itself a victim when I tried to access it yesterday. If it is working again, I preferred that one to the Fortinet one as it gave more information.

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

i do know, i just had a hard time signing in here just now. Would not take my pass word. Had to go thru the steps
    as if i had forgotten password... which i have not .. any ideas on why this is?

9. Ken Anderson

No, there is nothing in particular going on here. Are you sure you didn't accidentally enter either your name or password incorrectly, or maybe have the caps lock on?

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

yep, I am sure... plus I use password manager.. just a fluke I suppose.