Cutting Cost At Home

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Corie Henson, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Whenever we would have a project that needed a big budget, our impulse is to cut on costs at home particularly the utilities. We suddenly become conscious with the use of electricity and water. Trips using the car is always planned and even avoided at times. But with food, we never scrimp on it for it is our only luxury, so to speak. However, it's almost always that the saved money from cost-cutting measures would only amount to a meager amount, huh. But it's fun to practice cost-cutting measures even if only for the feeling of saving something.

Patsy Faye and Sheldon Scott like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I put me pennies in a big make up bag, then change them at the supermarket, they have a machine for that,
    then put the receipt for the coins, towards me bill
    I also have a jar for one pound coins, handy if we have to get a taxi :)

K E Gordon and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have little banks and containers full of change all over the house. We could probably live for a year off of our change because we seldom have need for change and rarely withdraw from it.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I have jars of change that I save all year, and I pay for my flights abroad from it .

The only thing I hate is having to count it all into Money bags to take it to the bank it takes so long to do

@Patsy Faye . those supermarket machines might save you having to count it and deposit it in your bank chikadee but they take 10% of your money ..that's a lot ...and then of course you can only spend the voucher in the supermarket you got it changed in...

5. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Holly Saunders - yes you're right, we haven't a bank nearby so its just convenient :)

6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a little change container on my dresser. Sadly, I have to raid it at times. I get paid on Thursday, so right now there are only pennies available, all the silver has been taken out. It does come in handy from time to time though, when it builds up a bit I take it to the cash machine at the Supermarket too, or the one that is at my bank is free. I wish I could save it all for Christmas though, because that is always a problem what to get or make for people with limited funds available. I just don't like Christmas anymore.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

@K E Gordon (((hugs))) for you, I've been in your financial position in the past, it's not a nice place to be.. :(

K E Gordon likes this.
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

Same here - it was so much easier, more easy going years back
    Now - so much is expected - its very low key for us now
    :)
    The pennies I put by, really weigh my shoulder bag down, so its worth putting them aside

K E Gordon likes this.
  9. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks, @Holly Saunders, I probably only have myself to blame for it, but that is little comfort. The thing is whenever, things start to look up fiscally, something else happens, to knock me back down. I am sure I will prevail eventually though. If I wasn't paying this )$%)* mortgage, I would be a lot better off. I need to get out from under this house.