Cutie and Lydia, Ella Too

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson, I just read your post about how old Lydia is and all you do to keep her going...touching.

I hope you get at least a couple years yet but even December would be nice.

Do you know what the record in age is for a cat?

My last cat died at 16 in Hungary but he would have lived longer if I wasn't visiting my daughter every 3 months while living in Hungary.

Every time I returned there was an incident with the cat. One time his hind leg was practically bitten off by a neighbor's pit bull.

Thankfully vets were very cheap in Hungary and he was operated on and spent a month at the vet.

I visited every day, my husband's favorite story was that I'd visit the cat more than when he was in the hospital.

Sad thing is, it was true...but only because the hospital he was in was in downtown Budapest and took more than an hour by bus and if I drove I'd be drenched in sweat even with the A/C on in the car.

It's crazy driving there, and can only think of NYC as being that bad.

Then on my last trip a day before I was to come home I talked to my husband and housekeeper and asked how my cat was, the answer was "fine".

The person that picked me up at the airport, on the drive home told me my cat was dead. I cried all the way home
    And then some. He's buried in my yard in Hungary.

My husband and my housekeeper weren't cat lovers. :(

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

The Guinness Book of records has 25 as the oldest cat but, although Cutie and Lydia have surpassed that, I can't prove how old they are since they were born at home, and didn't see a vet until they needed one.

I used to think that people who didn't appreciate cats were evil, but I've come to realize that they are simply different. They probably view those of us who love cats as I do tree huggers. Yeah, trees are nice to have around but I wouldn't get emotional about them.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I actually didn't like cats or dogs til I was an adult. My mom did not like animals in the house so we didn't have pets.

I thought dogs were especially gross with their drooling and smelly butts. When my 4 yr old son came home with a kitten and asked if we could keep it, my first reaction was NO but then I thought I don't want my kids growing up
    Not liking animals like I did so I said YES.

That was the cat that disappeared that one night. :(

5. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I am sitting here thinking about the kitty who I would have said is my best friend,,,but now my feelings are a bit hurt...I was away 3 days and now he suddenly thinks roomie is the "cats Pyjamas" to coin a phrase. He was sitting with me and all of sudden got up and ran away because he came into the room. He had to go over to him and start loving him up..I said "Jeesh I was gone 3 days not 3 years." Fickle, Fickle, Fickle Feline.:D:rolleyes:

6. Ken Anderson

Generally speaking, cats aren't that big on loyalty.

Joe Riley and Chrissy Cross like this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Some cats have their favorite person. I was my first cat's favorite and also my last cat's favorite person. I'd have to say those were my favorite cats also.

Had about 5 between those 2 and I really never think too much about them for some reason.

Had a Siamese cat in Hungary and he was just nasty to everyone, lol. This was actually my last cat but I think of my Peachy as my last cat.

We gave the Siamese to someone before we came back to the US.

8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

All I can say to that Ken Anderson, is a big loud HUMMMMMPh. I don't see roomie spending 64.00 dollars on a bag of cat food.:p:p:p. These cats better learn what side their bread is buttered on..:D:D

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

I usually go to bed around midnight or one o'clock in the morning, and both Cutie and Ella will follow me up. Only a couple of years ago, my bedtime staggered a lot more than that. Some nights, I'd be up until daylight but, more recently, I have tried to go to bed at a more regular time. Although Cutie and Ella are up and down all night, they spend a great deal of the night in bed with us. Sometimes I'll be in the middle of something, or I'll want to finish a movie before going to bed, and Cutie has taken to nagging me that it's time to go to bed. Cats like patterns when they work to their advantage, and she has caught onto the pattern of midnight being bedtime. More than once now, she has forced me to shut off my movie and come to bed by pushing on my leg to get my attention, then staring at me. Given that she is pretty much in charge of my life, I have no choice but to acquiesce.

Joe Riley likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

It's 12:10 and Cutie is telling me that it's time for bed, so I'll have to be going soon.

Frank Sanoica and Joe Riley like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

cutie091616-1800.jpg cutie091616-2800.jpg cutie091616-3800.jpg
    Cutie (26 years old) coming back from the tracks behind our house.

12. Ken Anderson

I think Cutie has overdosed on Cosequin tonight. She's been chasing Ella around all night. In and out of the office, up and down the stairs, and under bookcases. They knocked a bunch of stuff off of a table in my office as one or the other of them slammed into it. I love it when she has days like this. She will be 27 years old in two months!

Ella plays so well with her though. Ella's barely three, so she's a lot faster than Cutie and can go places that Cutie can't climb anymore but she slows down enough to let Cutie make the chase, and they both enjoy it. Most of the time, it ends with a lot of hissing. It's all fun and games until someone gets a little rough, but they enjoy it until it gets to that point, I think,

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  13. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I think cats reflect our personalities a lot, at least ours did. My husband, Michael, was a big laid back man, and so was his cat. My cat was always up to something, and she had an imagination.

My husband had his kitty, Fidget, a really big boy. He bought him from a pet store for $10. Fidget was a whopping 28 pounds.

I found my kitty in a soap box. Someone had thrown four baby kitties away in a large Tide soap box. My mother and I took turns trying to feed the babies with an eye dropper. Suds was the only survivor. My kitty, never weighed more than 12 pounds, So Suds was at a disadvantage in her attempts to get the old man Fidget to play. He would just bat her away. After being swatted away many times, Suds came up with her own games to play. But one game lasted her whole life.

After she was about four months old, she develope a fun game that lasted her whole life, which was well into her 20's. She loved to sneak up and steal every drinking straw that came into the house. By the time she was six months old, I was buying her a bag of straws. She would sneak up, and steal, ( I would set up a plastic glass with a straw.) the straw, and then she would bat that straw all over the house for the rest of the day.

@Ken Anderson you make me miss having a kitty around the house.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

What's cosequin? I want some. :)

15. Ken Anderson

Its glucosamine and chondroitin, for arthritis. It really does a good job keeping Cutie moving.