Customer Appreciation Prices

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Both our Safeway and Smiths stores, giant supermarkets of "buy almost anything", offer gasoline reduced prices based on in-store purchases. Using the old pickup the last few weeks has added to our fuel expenditure. Today, I filled it's two tanks @ $1.74/gal. Thirty cents off routine.

These offers no doubt keep the other retailers on their toes. Maverick and Circle K price a bit lower than the giants' base prices, but cannot match 30 cents off per gallon.

I have lived in many parts of the country and never seen this type of competitive maneuvering before. Is it new, or has it existed over towards the "Worst Coast" a long time? Forgive the "dig", I saw it on another forum, and thought it humorous. The guy's signature said "Live on the East Coast, but born & raised on the Worst Coast".
    Frank

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When there are sales, I would be forced to shop even if I had no schedule for that because buying items on discount is a great joy for a shopper. In the olden days, there used to be a clearance sale at the end of summer and I remember I had bought so many items with big discounts. I still have to experience that competitive maneuverings you say and I'm sure it would be lots of fun to see the prices of competing stores going down every day.

But wait, there is a competition like that between McDonald's and Jollibee (our homegrown fastfood). They both have the so called value meal which has gone down in prices - hamburgers that go with fries and drinks.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Kroger offers great prices on gas when you shop there I think you can get up to 30 cents a gallon off. There is a stretch of broad street in Richmond that has a bit of a gas war with Krogers and Costco...and some other cheap gas provider, I don't remember the name right now..maybe East Coast..anyway, that is the place in the city to get gas, as they are always trying to outdo each other. The rub is you have to have a Costco membership, which I do, so it isn't too bad!

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@K E Gordon Our Smiths' "house brand" is Kroger-marked for many items. For some reason, they see fit to sell Kroger branded stuff at lower price than many other well-known brands.
    Frank

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica Smith's is part of the Kroger family. They operate under quite a few different names in various parts of the country, and even have convenience and jewelry stores. I had no idea it was such a huge company until I looked one time to see where they were situated throughout the country. Apparently, Kroger was started by one man in Cincinnati, and has significantly expanded since then. I had never heard of them until I moved down here in 1998. When I lived down here in the 80s, if they were around, they weren't as well known as they are now, since I never saw them up in the Houston area.