Current Status: Married, Divorced/single, Widowed? Happy?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

By this age, I see many of us as married, single or widowed. Some went thru long/bad marriage and refuse to ever marry again and absolutely love being single. Other's are widowed and really miss being married, but.......(you answer the "but"). What is your current status and are you happy with it? Below is mine.

I'm 66 and absolutely LOVE being married! Have been married twice before during my mid 20's. One ended in an annulment and other in divorce. I was divorced/single for the next 22 years and pretty much hated all years of it. First, I did figure out that I married the wrong person. I think we married due to looks, not interests.......and she had the "looks" more than I did. She was basically "big city" and I was a former farm boy.

Met my wife I have now in 2000. She wanted a cowboy type, that could Country dance and I knew that, plus knew about horses, riding and rodeo. Cupid really hit me when I first seen her in Western attire, including a Resistol cowboy hat. Her niece was totally impressed at how good I could do a 2-Step and Texas Swing. "He's a keeper" she told my wife.

We are both the "clingy" type and do most everything together. However, I am retired now and she is still working a full-time job for awhile. She loves/knows NFL, PGA and NASCAR. She knows how to shoot her rifle and handgun, drive our powerboat and fish. With all of this, I don't need any buddies! I enjoy cooking and keep our apartment clean/laundry done when she is working. BTW, she had also been married twice before.

We love being married!

2. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

Married 59 years this December. Married in 1956, have 3 children,8 grandchildren and 10 greats.

3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Got married in 1960. I was 20, she was 18. Got divorced in 1978. Got 3 sons and 2 daughters. We were fine until family started running our lives. My family, not hers. She re-married in about a year. I was too restless to settle down and roamed around the west awhile. I'm not the kind who craves company or companionship, so the longer I was alone the more I liked it. I'm 75 now, pretty much set in my ways and don't welcome any changes.

Terry Page and Brittany Houser like this.
  4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been married three times my first wife pasted away. we were married for 14 years no children. My second wife wanted a different life style than mine and separated on good terms after 20 years no children.
    My third wife a beautiful lady who I love very much. We have been together for 13 years and have two children. Life is good

Ike Willis and Brittany Houser like this.
  5. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm 62 and absolutely love being divorced. I was married in 1977 and separated in 1985. From the age of 18 to 53 there has always been a man in my life, from my ex-husband who I met at that age to my last love who I had a 12 year relationship with until 2007. There were only two other long term relationships between the end of my marriage and the start of my last love affair, but have I lived happily on my own since the end of my marriage.

I'm loving being single again in the last few years. I have always been a solitary person by nature and am very self-reliant. I'm not ruling out the possibility of falling in love again but it would not bother me if I don't. My life has changed a lot in the past few years and I'm very excited about the years ahead because I have plans for the direction my life is going.

Terry Page and Ike Willis like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

It isn't weird, but there are times that some people don't like being single/divorced or widowed at all...........Valentine's Day and New Year's Eve are the main ones I can think of. I know when I was single/divorced, I hated those two! But, then again, I'm not the "single" type anyway!

Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

I am definitely the single type! I have been married and divorced twice. The first time, I was eighteen and stupid. :pThe second time, I was older and stupider! :D The first one lasted 3 years, and tore my heart out. The second lasted 23 years, and it was such a relief when I invited him to leave, and he accommodated me. Life has been sweet ever since! I have to admit though, I learned a lot from both, so it wasn't ALL in vain. I am somewhat of a loner, and I love my own company, which helps a lot!:cool:

Terry Page and Ike Willis like this.
  8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Brittany I wish you all the best as a woman they can do better than a man being single. But men don't live as long being single. I guess us old farts [men] need someone to look after us.

Ike Willis and Brittany Houser like this.
  9. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I have only once in my life ever even lived with someone and that was during my marriage of 10 years. I never had a room mate or a live in anything. After the divorce it was just me and my son. I know as fact that there is a part of my personality that very much needs the alone time that single life gives you. Sometimes I think about it and feel like it would be a very hard adjustment ever being able to live with someone else ever again. It would definitely have to be the right person.

With that being said, I am also a hopeless romantic, I know there is a huge difference between romantic love and real love. Since my divorce 16 years ago I decided to change the way I look at relationships. I am surrounded by people that love and accept me for who I am and do believe that perhaps there is someone out there that would be the right person for that last haul down life's road. I watch for him and as of yet I do not see him, but definitely feel he is out there. Maybe he is getting ready? Who knows?

When I was first divorced there were times that bothered me being alone more then others. I recall that New Years and Valentines Day did seem hard. That feeling passes with time. These days it is the small things that pluck at my heart strings, for example the other day I watched an older couple holding hands walking thru the parking lot at the stores. The little day to day things you know. I thought it sweet that they still felt that way for each other. Hearts connected are a wonderful thing.

Brittany Houser and Ike Willis like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was single until I was forty-eight. Pretty much the only thing I miss about being single is not being able to go out to a restaurant to read. When I go to a restaurant, my wife will come along and then, of course, it's impolite to read. I used to like spending hours in a restaurant after eating, drinking coffee, reading, and leaving a big tip.

Brittany Houser likes this.
  11. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I am married and we don't count the years although it's already more than 20 years. My husband is my best friend ever since the time we were still friends. He is conservative like me and his moves are always calculated. In life, we make plans and decide not on impulse but on the assurance that our decision is correct. When we planned to buy a brand new car, it took us 1 year, that's no exaggeration, before we were able to acquire that Ford Escape in January 2013 and the model was 2012 because it is cheaper by more than $2,000.

We don't watch much tv because we enjoy conversing and especially if there are issues to talk about, I mean happy issues or sad issues not affecting us at all. This is not to brag but I am happy and contented with my married life even if we didn't have kids. Our kids are our dogs, they give us happiness because they are acting like children sometimes.

12. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Corie you probably have what most people want. I think it's phenomenal that you and your husband each found the "right one." Yours is a real success story! I wish you guys many more happy years together.

Corie Henson likes this.
  13. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I've never really seen the point of marriage. Not that I'd criticise anybody that wants to do that, but it just seems such a pointless exercise to me.

Terry Page likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, seeing a woman's face, the kind of woman who is "marriage minded", that is, when:
    She is asked to get married
    When she puts on the engagement ring and can't wait to show it off to friends/family
    Preparing for the Wedding/Reception
    Being the bride of the wedding
    And, being the "center of attention", with her new husband during the Reception

All of these are priceless moments.........was for me anyway.

15. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been married 5x... twise to the same man,,, and I must say I am very happy being divorced/single. I have been divorced for many years now and have several relationships,, but I have found that I prefer my own company. I am 68 now and have some trouble getting around, but when I was younger, I had many activities that i enjoyed. I went fishing and hiking a lot, worked in my flower beds and just generally enjoyed being alone. Now I spend a lot of time reading and a little time puttering around online. All in all, I am happy with the life I have now.