Crossroads Diner

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 30, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We ate at a little diner not far from the timeshare we're staying at. We ate at the same diner the last time we stayed in this area, and I like it.

Apparently, they don't have a website so I'll link to the TripAdvisor page, since I hate Yelp.

It's a local restaurant that, no doubt, does well catering to tourists and people who are into skiing during the ski season since this is a ski area. The food is very good, the staff is friendly, and the prices aren't bad at all, cheaper than the gas station restaurant that we often go to in Herman, Maine.

We had breakfast there this morning, but have eaten lunch there previously.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds like you're enjoying the getaway, Ken. If I'm ever in those parts I'll check that place out.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I love the local eateries. It's part of the experience of being out of town. I guess I don't seek the safety of the known chains because I've not had really horrible experiences at the independents.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  4. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

now....I'm getting hungry...that diner sounds great...and I can hear the clanging of kitchen utensils now

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

...and the yelling between the waitress and the guy in the kitchen. That's real home cookin'.

6. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes....that's...flavor!

John Brunner likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

We had lunch at the Crossroads this afternoon. They were busy and the service wasn't the best, but the burger was very good.

Joe Riley and John Brunner like this.
  8. John Brunner

I wonder why they are busy on a Tuesday afternoon. Must have been packed full of locals...or is it "Leafer Season" up that way?

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We usually try to go to a cafe after the regular lunch hours, but before dinner hours, when it is slow. I do not think that you can get fast service at any restaurant when they are busy with a lot of customers .
    The exception to that for us is if we are going to a buffet, and then it is serve yourself, and the changeover for fresh food items happens much faster than when the cafe is not busy.

Most of the time, I definitely prefer the little home-owned cafes over the chain operations, but we really do not have any of those close to where we live.

Joe Riley likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

No, the leaves have left, for the most part. Bethel is in and surrounded by mountains, so it's a beautiful area that gets tourists nearly all the time, although this - and early spring (mud season) - are probably the closest it comes to an off-season. The reason for the busy-ness probably has more to do with the fact that there aren't very many restaurants here, and those that are here are mostly small. The largest is probably Sunday River, which is the one that defied the governor's order to close a year or so ago.

This is a pretty large ski resort, yet there were only ten rooms occupied when we got here. On the positive side, we don't have to deal with other people while in the resort and the prices (RCI points) are lower than in-season, but the downside is that there isn't much going on here. The large dining room is closed, there are no activities, and so on. Overall though, a ski resort in the off-season is a good choice.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Ed Wilson and John Brunner like this.