Criminals In North Dakota, Beware!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Diane Lane, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I do support law enforcement, but I am also watchful for government overreach, and this is somewhat scary to me. Police taser drones have been authorized in the state of North Dakota. The drones have also been authorized to be equipped with tear gas and rubber bullets. Is there a lot of need for that in North Dakota? Is this in response to increased crime from the oil fields? Are they expecting mass civil disobedience or perhaps violent biker rallies?

http://www.khou.com/story/tech/2015/08/28/police-taser-drones-authorized--north-dakota/71319668/

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It seems odd that a state with such a low population would go there.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

Perhaps it's a testing ground.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yes, I imagine the chances of hitting the wrong person would be greatly decreased.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Diane Lane

Registered

Haha, yes, there's that. It's good to know that someone is apparently watching, otherwise I wouldn't have seen the article mentioned in my local news feed.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Although it says that North Dakota is the first state to put the drone use into their state laws; there are quite a few other states that also are using drones.
    It may be that ND is the only state where they are weaponized; but I imagine that it will not be much longer before other states will follow suit, especially since many of them are already using drones in one way or another.
    I can see that it can help save police lives; but on the other hand, it makes you wonder how long it will be before the government can just order a drone hit on someone just like they already to when they want to take out some supposed terrorist in another country.
    Here is a map showing the states that have been using drones.

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/s...al-law-enforcement-agencies-license-list.html

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Drones are very in person they really do not have any feeling of the situation a little tunnel vision. They could easily see a person in distress after his wife and children killed and react by tasering him for being unruly. It is like you having feeling for the people you kill in a video game.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Registered

Yes, I'm aware that many are using it for various reasons. I don't have an issue with that (to an extent), especially along the border, since we are a sovereign country. I do have concerns though about weaponized drones being used against citizens who may or may not be doing something criminal/violent. I find it odd that it's being legalized in North Dakota, which is out of the eyes of much of the country. Unless someone was following this topic or happened to see this story (as I did), most would be unaware.

Yvonne Smith and Martin Alonzo like this.
  9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

If you look at the map you can see that they are more interested in what is going on in the country than who is coming over the borders. I guess they think the threat is from within and not from without.

Yvonne Smith likes this.