Crestor

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I quit taking Crestor about a month ago. My doctor had talked me into taking statin drugs a few years ago. First, I was taking Lipitor but it caused restless leg syndrome that became intolerable. A couple of years ago, I was switched to Crestor and I didn't seem to be having any side effects from it for quite a while.

However, my muscles seemed to be going away and exercising, even with as little as 5-pound weights, just caused pain, particularly where my upper arm muscles were supposed to be. Carrying anything hurt and I am not even 67 yet, not old enough for my muscles to atrophy. Plus, there are still things that I need to do.

I had mentioned it to my doctor but I wasn't thinking in terms of a side effect to a drug yet, and she certainly didn't go there. Seeing that the side effects of Crestor include joint pain, body aches, and loss of strength, I decided to quit taking it, which was an easy choice because I was never persuaded that it was a good thing, to begin with.

It's been a month since I have taken Crestor and I am no longer having any of these problems. I still have to rebuild my muscles but it seems possible for me to do that now. There are a couple of other things that my doctor hasn't been able to figure out that are also on the list of side effects from Crestor so I am hoping they go away as well.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ken, you may have read my opinion of all the statins in a previous post. Total cholesterol is much of what they address, and that is only an issue if it reaches levels over 300 or so (in my opinion only). Apoliprotein B 100 is what should be watched. That can be approximated using the assay of LDL, a common assay done in many labs. Many of the Eskimos here have total cholesterols over 350 but also have HDL measurements of 150 or more, making the total irrelevant. If you are interested:

https://www.docsopinion.com/health-and-nutrition/lipids/apolipoprotein-b-apob/

3. Ken Anderson

I switched doctors because my first doctor here wouldn't shut up about Lipitor. I referred to him as Dr. Lipitor because, without joking, I could see him about a pain in my leg and about the only thing he would talk about was that I should be taking Lipitor. I switched doctors, but my current doctor also seems mostly concerned with selling statin drugs.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I was put on Lipitor after a heart attack. I took it for a year then it was pulled and I am no longer taking any such drug. Don't guess I noticed any side effects while taking Lipitor. The only thing I'm taking now other than supplements and vitimi9nbs are Atorvastatin tablets for cholesterol.

5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I have just stopped Atorvastatin - affected my legs too much

6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Bill, Atorvastatin IS Lipitor.

7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska Don, I stand corrected. I knew that once but had forgotten. Thanks.

8. Ken Anderson

And Rosuvastatin in Crestor.

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

A very well-known medical authority some years ago made the public statement that every American adult over 50 ought to be taking Lipitor.

What a reckless, foolish statement, to be made by someone supposedly aware of all the possible pitfalls.

He probably owns huge amounts of drug manufacturer stock.

Glad he ain't MY doctor!
    Frank

10. Ken Anderson

I had a doctor who said that too.

11. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I have heard the same thing. It is a myth that is believed by most of the American doctors. I don't know about other countries. It isn't even true. As I have said before, we have many natives here who are not candidates for statins, and my wife is one of them. Her doctor told her to eat more cheeseburgers.