Creating Jobs

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Frank Sanoica, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

It is being touted that the Administration during 2016 created 1 million new jobs. I suspect many were essentially non-productive positions within government, a sham, at best. Aside from that fact, consider jobs either created, or destroyed, many permanently, by the "Information Age". Also, that this consideration had little influence exerted over it by government, other than early considerations expressed that it should be Federally-controlled, monitored (which it is anyway), and amenable to governmental exclusion.

I asked my wife, this evening, the meaning of a word. She said, "Look it up". I responded, can't, I'm off the computer. The dictionary was a room away. Dictionaries, of the printed type found in virtually every American household, some guarded religiously and passed down one generation to the next, have been made mundane objects where the still sit in homes, obsoleted by the COMPUTER REVOLUTION. I recall one instance when we bid on a huge, old dictionary, in the '80s at an auction, simply because it was identical to the Websters Universal residing in our living room when I was a kid. That book had myriad color photographs within it of important objects such as butterflies, birds, mammals, battleships, snakes, monumental buildings, airplanes, cars, you name it. I was transfixed for hours poring through those thousands of pages. The book was at least 6 inches thick. Every public library had one. Today? Likely "antiques".

The home telephone, cradle style. Easily "cradled" by the shoulder against one's ear, while other tasks were performed. Is that the origin of it's name, I wonder? Or, that while not in use, it was "cradled" upon the desk-set, awaiting use?

How about schoolroom textbooks? All but gone. Every desk has a computer set-up. Students address a non-humanoid teacher. The android answers back in response. Is this progress? Or am I just a sour, old prick reliving his childhood?

Was Einstein possibly right, about the creation of generations of idiots? Time will tell. I like to believe that I have always been amenable and agreeable to change. I welcomed the intro of the Alternator on our cars, color T-V, the use of COMPUTERS to run the cars!! Wonderful!

But some of the changes just don't seem worthy. Just my feelings. Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Don't forget that the Obama administration also lowered the number of hours to be considered full-time. Plus, his regulations had the incentive for businesses to hire more part-time people and fewer full-time.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Why didn't Obama and other past Presidents give Companies incentives to stay in here in America so Americans would have never lost their jobs in the first place? The products produced by those Companies would then have been made in America instead of everywhere else but America. Trump seems to really be putting out effort to bring Companies and jobs back to America...and to really be interested in creating new job sources for our Country.

Right here in my own home town there could be lots of jobs created for our highways and bridges need updating, our schools are bursting at the seams and some are falling apart too. Although I haven't researched this I'm sure we could use more policemen, firemen, teachers, etc.

Louisiana voted to allow the Lottery into our State because it was promised that our School Systems would get a large chunk of lottery sales but if anything our schools are in worse shape than ever! We pay property tax, sales tax, etc. that are supposed to go in part to maintain our highways and bridges, pay our public servants, etc. But all we ever hear is there is never any money to do exactly the things we are being taxed right and left for! So where is the money? There are plenty of jobs that need to be created and filled....but no matter how much money we pay towards this...that money seems to get lost like one of a pair of socks does when you put the pair in the dryer. And this isn't just happening in my home town, it's happening probably in yours too....our Government gets lots of our money too but we have nothing to show for it, nor do we really get to see what they do with our tax money. It doesn't really seem to me that we have a job problem here in America, what we have is a "where did the money go for those jobs" problem.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, many folks would really like to know "where did the money go for this or that?" Will we ever know, I doubt it. All this tax money the public pays and where does it go/what is it used for..........in reality, will we ever know?

Don't know about your town, but in ours, freeways are being widened due to the increase in our population. In fact, we just had a whole new freeway finished that goes from a main Interstate to the beach.

As far as Public Servants goes, as in police, fire, teacher, etc., today not nearly as many people want to become a law enforcement officer or fireman. The "risk" factor in those two jobs are just too high. For other jobs, like teachers, a person has to spend how many years going to college/university to get that Master's or Phd? Money has to be there to pay them, but these organizations also have to have the applicants as well.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Babs Hunt
    The state lottery thiong is ax sderious breecxh of public truddstyt. The dam,nedsc lotteries are run crokked as helll,..,I know irtb fior a fact./ I cant get mtyy PCX to eworkm, so excisseusemy for knpw.