Cranberry Ice Cream Experiment

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Why? I love cranberries, and they are said to be good for you. At least natural, untouched fruit no additives, antioxidant-containing, very little natural sugar. Using Erythritrol as sweetener, glycemic index = 0, no calories, no tooth decay.

Started with one 12-oz. bag cranberries, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup Erythritrol, brought slowly to boil, cooked covered until all berries broken, then cooked uncovered until reasonably thick. Slightly too tart, added 1/4 cup more Erythritrol; excellent taste!

Now, I took 1/2 teaspoon of my wife's FAGE low fat yogurt, mixed it with 1 teaspoon cranberry mix: different, if not great taste, sweet, tart, smooth all at once! Plan is to make a mix like that, then freeze it. Unknown is how thick must mix be before freezing, so it doesn't turn out to be real soft.

I dare not squander her expensive yogurt, so will try a small amount overnight in freezer. Let you know tomorrow how it turns out. If abortive attempt, oh, well! Frank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds good to me, Frank. I love whole-berry cranberry sauce, cooked by the directions on the bag of fresh Ocean Spray cranberries! I think it would be great in ice cream, or as a topping.

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I like dried cranberries, but don't think I've ever tasted a regular one....or any cranberry sauce. I'm not sure why.
    Hope your ice cream pans out. So glad you are feeling better!!!

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Frank, how did the ice cream turn out? I have a bag of cranberries in the freezer so I'm thinking about ways to use them. Last week I made some cranberry/walnut bread with my bread machine; it was quite tasty.

I had a pint of fresh blueberries in the fridge so I just whipped up a cobbler and put it in the oven. I'll be in the kitchen making coffee later, if anyone needs me. :D:D:D

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.