Coups In Asian Countries

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Ken Anderson, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It has been a while since I finished updating the Asian portion of the directory that I work for, so I can't remember which island country I am thinking of right now, but @Terry Page had mentioned, in his thread about Bulgaria, that, while there was a lot of corruption in the country, it wasn't evident to most people visiting Bulgaria, and that reminded me of one of the countries that I had worked on in the directory.

Although most of the countries in both Asia and Africa have histories of coup d'états, and in some that is the most common means of regime change, the history of one island country, as recorded on the country's official website, took great pride in having accomplished a military coup without any of its tourists being made aware that it was going on.

It just struck me as interesting that, rather than finding a way to change governments without a military coup, they took pride in having accomplished a military coup without an obvious disruption. Maybe it's just a different way of looking at things.

Frank Sanoica and Bill Boggs like this.