Country Living

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Perhaps it shouldn't, but it surprises me that so many of the members of this forum live in very large cities, and that many have never experienced life in a rural area.

For me, it's just the opposite. I grew up over a mile outside of an unincorporated town of about two hundred people, most of whom I was related to, and which were scattered over a large area. There were seven houses, a church, and an old one-room schoolhouse on my road, not counting the parsonage.

An elderly couple lived across the road from us. They were related to us in some manner, which I had never quite understood. Their granddaughter, who was born on the same day that I was, was my second cousin, I think. But her mother was a missionary in Alaska, and then Mexico, so I only saw them during the summer months.

Ours was the last house on the road, which continued east for another mile or so. We lived part way up a small hill. At the top of the hill, to the west, was the church and parsonage. The church was left open all the time, its library available to anyone at any time.

Then there was nothing for another half mile or so. To the west, my dad had a large field, then there was a fence, followed by my uncle's large field, and then their house. The old schoolhouse was on the edge of my uncle's property. Across from him was a former gas station where another uncle lived as a bachelor, but he passed away when I was young, after which the building was demolished.

Further north, there was an intersecting gravel road. Between a quarter and a half mile west of that, another uncle lived, with his large family. Not far past his house, one of my aunts (a widow) lived with her son in a house trailer. Then, almost at the end of the road, just before it intersected with US Highway 41, there was another farm, owned by someone who I don't think I was related to. The next parallel road, to the south, had only three houses, and the next parallel road to the north was a little more populated, with perhaps ten houses, since that road led into the town proper.

As children, there was little recognition of property lines. Of course, we had a good idea of who lived where, and a general idea of which fields belonged to whom. My dad owned several 40-acre fields that he farmed, some a few miles from our house, as well as some woodland that he logged from time to time.

But, as kids, there was no reason to care whose land we built a shack on, or whose woods we camped in, as we were related to most everyone, and our families were close with everyone else.

The only two exceptions that I am aware of included a bachelor who we knew as Crazy Krantz. He lived one road north of our road. When we walked to the town of Wallace, or to school, if we didn't go through the woods as we often did, we would walk past his house. There was a very large grape vine growing across three cedar trees on the public side of his fence and, while the grapes tasted like cedar, we ate them anyhow, and the way that the vine grew, there was a space in between the three trees where no one could be seen, so we'd play there sometimes. If Crazy Krantz noticed us there, he would sometimes come out with a shotgun and chase us away. The kids hated him, but then I went to his house with my dad one time because dad was going to shoe one of his horses (another thing my dad did for extra money), and Crazy Krantz gave me a very large box of comic books that he had.

As an aside, the Mellen Township ballot included a slot for a township constable. Although it had been many years since the township actually employed a constable, enough people would write in Crazy Krantz (who had a real first name that I don't remember) as constable, that he would win. Someone had a badge made up for him, and he would wear it whenever he walked to town for another bottle. He didn't drive.

Then there were the Hanson brothers. A few miles from us was Hanson Lake. During the fall, Hanson Lake was a good place for duck hunters, apparently. Otherwise, the lake was surrounded by boggy, swampy terrain, so it wasn't the sort of lake that was of any use recreationally. As a kid, I found several Indian arrow heads around there, however.

In the winter, Hanson Lake was a popular ice skating place. Since the bogs and swamps were frozen over, access wasn't so much of a problem. Although I am sure it would not be permitted any longer, we would pour gasoline over a large area of the frozen lake in order to melt the snow and to smooth out the ice. The next day, the ice would be smooth and good for skating. Someone would light some tires on fire on the ice for heat, and kids would ice skate there often.

The only house on the Hanson Lake road belonged to the Hanson brothers, two bachelors who no one seemed to know very much about. I don't think my dad even visited them. Although they did not own the land around Hanson Lake, it was necessary to pass their farm en route to the lake. They also would come out with shotguns, and shout at us about trespassing on their land, even shooting the guns up in the air sometimes, which was something that Crazy Krantz never did.

If we were skating there at night, we were usually with older kids in a car, so that wasn't a problem. Otherwise, we would run past their house or, if we were going there in the summer, we'd pedal as fast as we could past their house. There too, there was a time when I was in high school that I ran my dad's car off the road on Hanson Road, and one of the Hanson brothers pulled me out with his tractor, so I think a lot of that was for show.

[​IMG]

After high school, I spent a couple of semesters in college, then hitchhiked around the country for a while before moving to Southern California. There was a time, while I was in California, that I became quite comfortable living in a densely populated area.

Since then, however, I have most always lived in rural areas or small towns with no more than one stoplight. I get nervous driving in large cities and, although I don't mind visiting Boston and New York City from time to time, I would hate to live there.

Even the town I am in now, with a population of less than three thousand, is too large for me, and I hope to be able to move up north where I don't have to wait for traffic in order to leave my driveway.

I like living in a town where I know most everyone. Millinocket isn't one of them, but I have lived in places where I could go shopping and forget my wallet at home, and it would be no problem for me to come back and pay for it later. I have lived in places where the guy from the power company would look for me in the restaurant before shutting my power off for non-payment. It has been a while since I've lived anywhere where I have to show identification in order to cash a check or withdraw money from the bank, not that I cash very many checks anymore.

When we were raising our nephew, only a few years ago, if he got in trouble anywhere in town, we would hear about it from a couple of people before he even got home.

When I think about living in a city, the only significant advantages that I can think of is the availability of faster Internet services, but that has improved in the rural areas a lot over the past few years.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  2. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

I like your story but I won't be as detailed as yours..
    At present, we live in the country.. We live in a small village of just under 1000 folks.. We live in the outskirts of the village and not in the populated area.. We have acerage with our house that we bought in 2005.. It is an "A" Frame house that was built in 1989.. It is an all electric house as we have electric forced hot air downstairs and electric baseboard upstairs.. No basement but crawl space only..
    We have NO shortage of wild animals around our house.. Black bears, cyotes, grey wolves, foxes, racoons, deer, and moose are but just a few around here.. Eagles are also plenty..
    We just love it up here and we wouldn't live anywhere else but in the country..
    Originally we came up here from Montreal which is a huge city..
    Now we live in Massey, Ontario..

We have sceptic system for our house and well water ...

One last thing before I go....... In 2005 when we bought the house, we paid $45,000 for the spread...

3. Ken N Louis

Ken N Louis Veteran Member
    Registered

Born raised and married in Chicago..We had moved out to the country in the 70's both in Illinois and Texas..No more city life for us!!
    Nov 2006.jpg
    Air (Small).jpg

4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I was born and raised in the second biggest city in the state. The population back then was around 50,000. WE lived just inside the city limits though. Across the street from us was 40 acres of woods and a block from our house were several fields and then the river.
    I now live on 25 acres just outside the city limits of Clarksville, population just over 9,000. I don't like big cities.

Von Jones and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

The only time I lived in a small town was when we lived in a suburb of Chicago, In Cary, Illinois. The population was about 4,500! It was a great place for the kids growing up the years we lived there. A very friendly and open neighborhood and it was on the Fox River.

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I was born and raised in the largest city in Scotland . I moved out when I was 19 and relocated to where I am now with my family after my mum died.

I've lived here ever since, in a tiny rural village on the edge of a small market town just 20 miles from Central London...although during this last 40 years I have lived in Naval MQ's as a Navy wife all over the UK, and lived and worked in Germany, Italy and Spain...the latter for 10 years until very recently, but I always kept my home here in the village. I still have my home in Spain but I have tenants there now .

I get the very best of both worlds here and although Central London is only 30 minutes away by train...( about 3 weeks by car due to the gridlock traffic):eek:... the enormous difference between the city and where I live here in ruraldomshire makes it seem as though the 2 are in completely different parts of the UK

7. Sifu Phil Bonifonte

Sifu Phil Bonifonte Veteran Member
    Registered

I was born and raised a half-hour train ride away from New York City. At 17 I moved into that city and stayed there for 7 years, then started moving around the country to live in South El Monte, CA, Austin Texas and Key West and Melbourne, FL, along with a few brief stays in NY and NJ.

The only time I've ever tried to be a country boy was in my second year of married life. My wife thought it would be "fun" to live in the country, so we packed up our stuff in Allentown (PA) and moved a few miles north, where I purchased a 5-acre spread covered in trees and surrounded by a chicken farm, a horse farm and a pig farm.

Essentially, whatever way the wind blew we got gassed.

But that wasn't all. We got a German Shepherd that proved to be mentally deficient - she ate everything including firewood, birds and feminine napkins. The one good thing she did was to attack my brother-in-law when he came for an unexpected visit. Never saw a dog jump a 6-foot fence before ...

I had to learn to use a wood-stove to heat the house, rather than just twist a thermostat! Most of the time I ended up looking like Al Jolson and was constantly pulling splinters out of my fingers.

In the winter we had a bad storm that dumped a foot of snow and ice on us. No problem, said I - I have a Jeep.

... yeah, but you parked it at the house instead of at the end of the driveway, you idiot!

I called to get an estimate for plowing and it would have taken my next 6-months income, so we sat.

Then the electric went out.For 3 days.

I think I'll stay a city boy for now.

8. Ken Anderson

harl-our-kitchen.jpg
    This is my younger brother in the kitchen of our parents' house in Wallace, Michigan.

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    There is a 6-inch flue pipe behind the stove, which obviously is a gas stove, given it's dial controls. Asked my wife, she looked, said they made a gas stove, half of which contained a firebox requiring such a stovepipe. I think she's dreaming. Did that flue come up through the floor, perhaps, from a lower-level wood burning stove? Hoping you can recall. Frank

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

They DO (or did) make stoves that operated on both wood and gas, @Frank Sanoica . My friend in idaho had one of those and it was awesome.
    Basically, the wood part was small, like a “trash burner “ , as they were called; but if I remember right, she could also use it to heat up the oven, just not the gas burner part of the stove.
    In any case, they could add a little wood to heat the house in the morning while she was making breakfast for the family, and burn any trash that could be burned.
    I think that this kind of stove was pretty popular back in the days when wood cookstoves were first changing over to electric and gas; but the one that Norma had was the only one I have actually ever seen that did both in one unit.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My grade school years was living outside of a small city, but not as much of a farming community as was when I was in 8th grade and high school. During those years, it was nothing but farm land around me. Hogs, cattle and crops.

Since those days, have lived in both big city and suburbs. Now living in a city of 931,000 (with total pop. of over a million) and definitely don't like it, well, compared to having lived in a much smaller populated area in both Colorado and North Carolina. But, when people want really nice paying jobs, it's the big cities with the high populations they generally have to chose or drive up-teen miles to.

Wife and I have come to learn that we have a few requirements for where we want to spend the rest of our lives...…...freshwater lakes, nearby rodeos, nearby mountains, definitely a smaller pop. than here, much less crime than here and much, much friendlier people than here.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

I'm sorry, but I don't know much about it. The pipe may have been left over from the woodstove that we used to have there. Although, for a while, we had both a wood stove and a gas (or electric) stove. I remember mom using both stoves at the same time, and that she felt some things cooked better on a wood stove, but they both crowded the kitchen quite a lot.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith My wife confirmed that indeed, stoves were made as you described with gas burners adjacent to a wood-burning enclosure.
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.