Cost Of Living Adjustments

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Sheldon Scott, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Even though the "generous" Social Security COL upgrade for 2022 is definitely better than in recent years, I see the Medicare increase was recently announced as well...

The new Part B premium will be $170.10 a month for 2022, officials said. The jump of $21.60 is the biggest increase ever in dollar terms, although not percentage-wise. As recently as August, the Medicare Trustees’ report had projected a smaller increase of $10 from the current $148.50.

The increase is being blamed on the cost of pharmaceuticals. How ironic that they won't allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices but they know that's helping to sink Social Security.

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Your not is a very sad comment on the control Big Pharma has on our government.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I should have included that the Medicare deductible is also increasing by $30/year for 2022.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It is the same thing, but in a different way, for the low income people. Each time we get a COL increase, then they take that much (or more) out of our SNAP allotment, so it never helps at all, and is often worse when they do this.
    Also, the co-pays on medications goes up each year, too.

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

A family member has tried to get us to get on SNAP. I filled out on line paper work, most of it, but decided they probably wont help us anyway,since there are IRA's and ect.that could be used. Any suggestions?

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

I am not sure what you are allowed to have/own, and it might vary from state to state, @Hedi Mitchell . There should be online information for your state that will help you know if you can qualify.
    If you even qualify for a small amount, right now they are giving people extra , at least here in Alabama. Plus, if you have medicaid or a SNAP card, you can get Amazon Prime for half price and internet for about $10 a month, and probably other benefits. It is definitely worth applying and see if you can qualify.

7. Yvonne Smith

I just discovered another benefit that some of us might be eligible for, more than just low income people it looks like, or a broad description of allowable income.
    A household is eligible if a member of the household meets one of the criteria below:

• Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline;
    • Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, in the 2019-2020, 2020-2021, or 2021-2022 school year;
    • Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
    • Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020 and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or
    • Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider's existing low-income or COVID-19 program

Here is the website for more information:
    https://www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

My deduction is going from 148.50 to 170.52. But I thought we were getting a whopping 5.6% increase.

9. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

They always say that it is the highest since 1981, but they changed the way the CPI was calculated in 1982, so...if Trump were in office, it would be "the highest since 1946 when the war price controls were removed", which is, in actuality, the truth but they are wanting everybody to think they had lived through this kind of inflation before. If Trump were in office, the inflation would not be nearly as bad since he would not be at war with domestic energy production, but if something like this did happen when he was in office, it would certainly be "Unprecedented inflation!"

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

When I first heard about the increase I admit I was a little happy then the facts hit and now I’m kinda going….so what.

It’s going to take a full year of the cost of living increase just to pay myself back for the amount of money I’ve had to spend on gas and materials this last year so by the end of 2023 I’ll still be in the red awaiting for an increase in 2024 that will pay for the losses accrued in 2023.

The wheels on the bus used to go round and round ……..

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  12. Joy Martin

Registered

However, you want to look at it, I'll take it. They control us and as long
    as we;re alive we are in their control, or go live off the grid and totally take
    care of oneself. This is America 2022.

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

They are looking for a way around having to pay that increase. We'll see how it goes.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

As usual Medicare increase will get half of the so called raise. I am beginning to understand why people bolt and revolt more and more.

15. Joy Martin

Registered

If it goes thru Medicare will be rasied, of course, but not half.

I've lived a long life and for most of my working years, my employers offered and paid for medical
    insurance, the Good Ole Days....today I don't know if that goes on, I have not worked in 21 yrs but for me I believe Medicare is a damn good health insurance and I don't use it very often as I spend most
    of my money on prevention supplements.

People revolt and bolt so what do they do just boil and pay pay pay. Keep yourselves healthy and stay out of the doctors grips. My probably worst decision was the hip replacement, if I had known what the outcome was going to be, I would have worked to live with what I knew. Not what I didn't know.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022