Cortisone Shot Quickly Restores Knee Function

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Hello Friends,

For months I have been experiencing increasing knee discomfort, combined with reduced range of leg movement. It had taken me up to 15 seconds just to straighten my leg from bent to extended position, and it was excruciating to stand on the leg upon first arising in the morning.

I have been using a cane for some time to ease the weight on my right leg.

Driving my car was uncomfortable, because there was no room to stretch out my right leg for relief from pain.

Yesterday, my Orthopedist and his staff prepared me for X-rays followed by a Cortizone "cocktail" injection.

This morning when I arose, I was able to stand without my cane, and there was absolutely no discomfort when moving my leg through its full motion. It was like a Miracle!

The Doctor scheduled a return visit 6 months from now, right after my 85th birthday.

With sympathy and understanding for all Arthritis sufferers,

Hal

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad you were able to get some relief, Hal.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I feel ya Hal. I have succumbed to only one cortisone shot because after trying everything else to totally relieve the pain it was either walk or don’t walk hence the shot.
    After the full effects took hold in a couple of days I started working on my knees starting 4 years ago with light weight and working my way up.
    The last time I was on the leg sled I was pushing 620 for 10 reps.

That doesn’t mean that something along the way will not happen but since then I’m extra observant about working my knees and the surrounding muscles.
    Also, that’s me and i am not an doctor and am definitely NOT giving advice on how to manage knee pain.

4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

We've both been through a number of cortizone shots. Doctor recommended a shot for me in the knee and that took care of my problem. Wife had three or four over time before
    she got artificial knee. They didn't work too long on her. Good luck.

Hoot Crawford and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I could have gone the way of manmade drugs for swelling in my right hip / fluid sac in ball joint/ sacrid ill I act. 'si" pelvic bone.

Some chiropractors even go the way of drugs for pain relief.

Thankfully, I had learned other things better long ago for general and specific needs in the body.

It took a while for comfortable mobility without a cane or walker because I kept doing too much as soon as I felt good enough at first... the chiropractors each reminded me , though, to go slower, take it easy, so the area can recover..... finally I did that and "played possum" almost, resting even while I felt like going and doing cutting yards or playing with the dogs..... (all it took until I had my strength back was one little stumble and the swelling/ joint would start hurting again...)

My total expenses in a little over a year was about $75.00 for dietary supplements, and $175.00 - $195.00 total for chiropractic adjustments when the joint / back/ neck got out of place (usually instant relief in a 15 minute adjustment , until I overdid it again, for a while)....

Best news! No drugs. No side effects, naturally healed, stronger, even better than before... (by paying closer attention to avoiding sugary foods and other no-no's ..... and eating the right foods all the time , or at least more often....) ...

It helps to find someone trained or with experience who knows simply and safely what to do. It is very successful, and has been for many people for centuries (not always "officially") .....

Avoiding drugs is not always possible, possibly.... but almost always for most people it is possible, and when it is possible, it is a lot less expensive than so-called 'normal' protocol... both in dollars and cents (and sense),
    and in terms of the body actually healing instead of getting more side effects from toxins or garbage in the blood stream/ muscles/ brain. Of course, there's tons and tons more money in the official protocol, so not very many health clinics bother with finding out what is right.... it can take years to find a good honest one. (support groups/ others who go natural relief healing are a potential source(s) for finding out) ....

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I believe the efficacy of such shots is in direct proportion to the amount of cartridge remaining in the joint.

Glad it worked for you.

Hoot Crawford likes this.
  7. Jeff Elohim

Registered

There are numerous health advocates / not under ama/ who can teach you how to increase the amount of cartilage simply and gradually over time. As long as the body has all that it needs, it almost always heals itself properly.

Thus, learning, ongoing learning, is a key.

Most people are told to forget it. There's not enough money in it. (only healthier lives! )

It worked for millions of people in the usa I expect, every year in the last century. All they had to do was to learn what to do.

8. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

And here is the correct answer. My lovely SO ultimately had to have total knee replacement a couple of years ago, since cortisone shots provided zero relief. I was with her when she first visited the surgeon, and when he called up her knee xray, his first word was "ouch". When she mentioned that she had been told she had a torn meniscus, his comment was "you don't have a meniscus".

YMMV

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
    John Brunner likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Registered

"Leg Sled"? "Working on your knees"? What the Sam Hill is that all about?o_O

Hal

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

upload_2021-1-15_14-15-57.gif

The foot plate is 35# and it looks like she has 2/25# weights on it = 85#

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Or.......here’s Ronnie Coleman on his “leg sled”.

This definitely isn’t a good example of a great knee exercise seeing how he blew out both knees on another day.
    His career was essentially ruined.

12. Jeff Elohim

Registered

quick search done for knees needing kneading ..... etc .... how to information is available widely. Not all is true, but all can be tested.... find out what others have done that works....

Cartilage is an important connective tissue found throughout our bodies. When damaged in the joints, it can lead to pain, inflammation, limited range of motion and stiffness that can eventually progress to OsteoArthritis (OA)—the most common type of arthritis. When used as part of a larger, comprehensive treatment plan, nutrition can be a great way to confront some of the symptoms of OsteoArthritis and other disorders that result from degeneration of cartilage. Here is a list of foods that help rebuild cartilage.
    Foods that Help Rebuild Cartilage
    Legumes[​IMG]
    For optimal joint function, it is important to beat inflammation wherever possible—inflammation is the primary source of collagen and, by extension, cartilage breakdown. Legumes are a particularly effective food option for their anti-inflammatory properties. Additionally, because collagen is a protein, the protein content of legumes is helpful in replenishing the collagen necessary to rebuild cartilage. And, as if all of that weren’t enough, legumes also have high levels of lysine, an amino acid that is critical to the cartilage regeneration. Beans, peas, and peanuts are all considered legumes, which means that you have numerous options to sneak more of them into your diet.
    Oranges
    Collagen, which is a protein that your body needs vitamin C to make, is one of the primary components of cartilage.
    ... ... ... ...
    ... ... ..
    "
    above from >>
    https://arrowheadhealth.com/foods-that-help-rebuild-cartilage/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    excerpt urls from web >>
    10 Foods That Help Rebuild Cartilage (& Healthy Joints!)
    mobilitydeck.com › Resources › Senior Living

Apr 3, 2020 — 10 Healthy Foods to Rebuild, Repair, and Replenish Worn Cartilage. ... of foods that are great for rebuilding cartilage and maintaining healthy, ...
    What Is Cartilage and Why... · ‎Foods That Help Rebuild... · ‎Blueberries · ‎Nuts

Humans May Possess Ability to Regrow Cartilage - WebMD
    www.webmd.com › A to Z Guides › News

Oct 9, 2019 — Animals that regenerate tissue have the greatest capacity for it in the distal ... "Can we better understand the basic biology, and harness it?

Researchers find method to regrow cartilage in the joints ...
    med.stanford.edu › news › all-news › 2020/08 › Resear...

Aug 17, 2020 — ... of Medicine researchers have found a way to regenerate the cartilage ... “It covers the bone and is better than nothing, but it doesn't have the ...

6 Treatments to Repair Cartilage Wear & Damage | Health Plus
    www.mountelizabeth.com.sg › healthplus › article › 6-tre...

Apr 2, 2018 — It serves as a lubricating surface as well as a shock absorber. Cartilage damage can be seen as a hole or crater on the otherwise smooth surface ...
    Microfracture · ‎Articular cartilage repair...

Cartilage Repair Supplements - Amazon.com
    www.amazon.com › Cartilage-Repair-Supplements › k=...

Amazon.com: Cartilage Repair Supplements.

Susan Paynter likes this.
  13. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Hal hope you are still painless. I done the same many years ago got a shot in my knee and walked out of the hospital pain free but with in a years the pain had returned on only in my knee but now in my shoulders and hips. I have learn a lot since than and now have no pain anywhere. We all need to find our answers and best of luck to you.

Susan Paynter likes this.
  14. Hal Pollner

Registered

My primary physician tells me NOT TO work out with weights, even light dumbbells, until all my joint pains are gone.

Okay.

Hal

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I changed the title of this thread from "Cortizone" to "Cortisone" because Cortizone is an anti-itch cream.

Beth Gallagher likes this.