Cooking Disaster Experience

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Corie Henson, May 29, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you still remember your bad cooking experience?

My first try in cooking was when we moved to a rented apartment with nothing but the bed. After buying cheap kitchen utensils, I took the challenge of cooking, not being honest to my husband that I was a newbie in the kitchen. My husband's hands were full in fixing and cleaning the house so I did not hear any objection.

And as the usual story goes, the rice was burned. Almost a quarter of the rice was stuck in the pot's bottom. And the taste of the rice? Don't ask. To match the rice, we had fresh fish from the market. It was toasted on the outside and the inside was not not cooked. To make the story short, we had boiled eggs for our first lunch in the apartment. It was really embarrassing and I was sure glad that my husband did not divorce me for that, hahahaaah.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Corie Henson

Not my own experience, but my Mother's: quick-preparation of beans in a pressure cooker, clogged pressure relief port allowed safety port to blow out: we had beans all over our ceiling!

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Never had any real bad cooking experiences but my family might say differently. I could usually fix a disaster into something halfway edible. :)

I do remember my first meal that I cooked for my husband. It was pork chops, peas and mashed potatoes.

I never cooked prior to that but my mom and grandmother were excellent cooks and I knew what good food tasted like and kind of how to make it, just didn't have the hands on experience.

The peas came from a can so they were okay. The mashed potatoes probably came from a box but the pork chops were real and that's what I messed up. They were the thin cut ones, we were on a tight budget when I first married. I over cooked them and they were like the soles of my husbands shoes. He did eat them though and even complimented me and I became an excellent cook fairly quickly.

4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

My wifey made a big pot of potato soup with real potato's. She was adding a bit of black pepper from a container with a screw on lid. The lid fell off into the soup, along with all the pepper in the container. Tell ya what, that was one spicy pot of soup.
    There was too much to throw away, so she poured half into other containers, added some instant potato's and milk to the soup in the pot to lessen the kick. It turned out pretty good.

Chrissy Cross and Frank Sanoica like this.